Meet the Triathlete's World Fab Four: Kiwi Kate

Introducing the final member of our Triathlete's World Fab Four… Kate L (aka Kiwi Kate)

New Zealander Kate is a keen runner and sprint triathlete. Her goal over the next few months is to master the swim and bike over longer distances - and the challenge of her Olympic distance debut in London is the perfect opportunity.

Kate will be using our brand new Olympic distance triathlon training schedule as a basis for her training (starting May 23).

She’ll be posting her training progress on a regular basis, and feedback the training and nutrition advice given to her by the team at Triathlete's World so make sure you check back regularly to find out how she gets on.

You can read more about Kate’s triathlon background and goals here.

Good luck Kate!

Alice

Comments

• Hello hello!

Gosh, a triathlon is a daunting task in itself, let alone under the watchful eyes of much more experienced triathletes i.e. YOU! I'm really hoping that you can help me along the way with many tips, tricks and clever ideas to help me cross that line. Sure, I have done mini tri's before at beach locations in NZ, but I have a feeling that the London Tri is going to be nothing like those! 

At this stage I haven't trained in 3.5 weeks and counting, and I'm getting a little scared. I do have two decent reasons, the latter of which I'm hoping you can help me with. I spent the first two weeks out of action while on a camping road trip around the south of France knowing full well that I had a training schedule waiting for me on my return. I knew it was a bit decadent to take that much time off (I had been training prior), but it would have been silly not to have taken advantage of the 'take 3 days and get 11' over the Easter/Royal Wedding/May Bank break. However, I didn't hit the ground running back in London, but sneezing instead. The last 10 days I have been unwell with a cold and tissues constantly close at hand. I haven't felt up to pulling my shoes on for even a short run (my default 'easiest' discipline of the three).

Can you tell me what you think about training with a cold? Do you push through? Or let yourself rest? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy training,

Kate 

• KK ... IMO, wrong thread for a rant

Its really is not Kates fault    image
  • Hi Kiwi Kate and welcome to the forums.

I think with a cold you just need to balance the overall benefit of training - if training is likely to stop you getting better then don't do it. I wouldn't train with a fever having done it once by accident and paid the price. But if you're on the mend and just a bit snuffly some easy running and biking should be fine.

From what you say it does sound like you're at risk of making a classic runners mistake in thinking you should get out and run... if your biking is weaker than your running a ride might be a better option.

Good luck.

(ignore kittenkat she gets shocking pmt)

*edited for incoherence!
  • Hi Kate .........been reading up in the magazine........I can imagine the swims you have done before on a New Zealand beach were lovely............I'm really jealousimage

The docklands doesn't sound like it will have the same scenery.........

i think the general rule with colds is above the neck ok to train..............if its below the neck and got onto the chest not ok.........

probably better to get some cycling in or some easier runs or run/walks until you are feeling fully fit

Its great that you have some time in the mornings to train...........much better to get it done and dusted before work........

good luck

and ignore KK................it must be something about the nameimage

• Aye, i can't argue with  any of your points  KK - but I can't help feeling the above is harsh on Kate - much like the S6  - it must be a daunting experience being paraded infront of the "locals", but i've always seen much more of a community on tri circles then ever seen in athletics circles - hopefully the f4 will see how awesome you all are!

Kate - hope this experience is all you hope it to be - hopefully you'll see there is a weath of experience and  spirit here and will want to be involved and hang around!

i'm pretty much a newbie myself - so what do i know?! image

• Kate - if I were you I'd pop some cold and flu pills and carry on. But I'd probably ditch the swim for a bit till you're better. I don't think it's that easy to get the breathing right while you're full of snot and the other swimmers won't thank you for the germs either!

If you start to feel anything in your chest - that's your clue to stop training and rest.

• Thanks for your tips everyone!

I've decided that today is the day that I pull my shoes on and give something a go and I guess that my lungs will let me know if they like it or not!

I'm on cold and flu pills already but it doesn't feel like they are making too much of a difference so maybe a run will help move things along. I'm gunning for a swim on Monday (I have the open water training session next Saturday which tells me is a little full on).

Have a great day and I'll check in later...

• Maybe we can get Kiwi Kate to wear a pirate top and gte us in the mag that way!!! imageimage
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Sounds like a plan, AL.

Kate, I find that a swim helps to clear my sinuses and that I feel better afterwards.  But if you decide to follow that route then don't do a hard session.  I find that my speed slows down and that I can't go as far, but I find it easier than cycling or running with a cold.

• Hope the training goes well kate
  • arctic lady wrote (see)
    Maybe we can get Kiwi Kate to wear a pirate top and gte us in the mag that way!!! imageimage
    Settle down, it's only an Oly. Now if Kate were to sign up for Regensburg ..... image
  • I haven't done an oly yet but I fancy it..image

Just the small matter of getting over my water phobia.image If I got caught in the moshpit of arms swinging round whacking me on the head I would either pass out in fear and drown or seriously hurt someone...image

Don't take my pirate top off me! I'll get there....

• Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    arctic lady wrote (see)
    Maybe we can get Kiwi Kate to wear a pirate top and gte us in the mag that way!!! imageimage
    Settle down, it's only an Oly. Now if Kate were to sign up for Regensburg ..... image

ooops naughty me!!!! *smacks wrists!!!*

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Just the small matter of getting over my water phobia.image If I got caught in the moshpit of arms swinging round whacking me on the head I would either pass out in fear and drown or seriously hurt someone...image

Everyone feels like that but some of us do it anyway - that's the point . We're not stronger, better, braver or more experienced - we just don't let our fear and inexperience get in the way of a good time. Now LB, HTFU and enter an ironman already.

Let's wait until KiwiKate has recovered from her cold before trying to recruit her to the pirates.

Kate - what's new? What did you do at the weekend?

• Always the internet to provide helpful tips to prepare for the swim start.....you just need some mates and a boat or 2

Swim start training (youtube)

• Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    If its the London Tri, swim start simulation is best achieved by having your local amatuer boxing club come round your house and simultaneously punch you whilst you lie in the bath.  If you don't want to get belted around at the narrow, congested start then set yourself way back before the swim.
  • Hey team!

I followed your advice on Saturday as I was feeling better and only 'snuffly' and trialed a short run - fine - and so gave a swim a go this morning (thanks for the tip SuperCaz!) - great! During my rests between sets I had a bit of a noisy cough which hopefully didn't disgust the other swimmers too much. I was surprised that after resting for so long my base fitness hadn't disappeared. Phew! As I'm training in a 25m pool I do get a bit concerned about the amount of time swimming and the amount of time I spend gliding after pushing off the end! I'm sure you feel the same? My new challenge is to find a 50m pool, and I am looking forward to some open water swimming on Saturday.

Liverbird and Ali Bongo your comments give me fear and strength! Pkim, I will check out your link tonight!

• Kate,

err don't push off so hard and use your arms to provide acceleration. 

Meface

• that makes perfect sense image did actually try that... should make it mandatory!
  • What you gain in pushing and gliding you lose in equal amounts going in the wrong direction in OW   image
  • This week I've done four from four so far and as my first week back it hasn't felt so bad at all. Swimming (pool), running, cycling (stationary) and running. I've really enjoyed being out and about again and typically my training is pure running so mixing it up with other disciplines has been fun. I must admit that I'm still feeling the effects of my noisy cold and have found that my heart rate is higher than normal when I'm training. I don't think its from lack of fitness but my body reacting to exercise again when my lungs/sinuses aren't clear...

Saturday morning I'll find myself in a lake swimming and learning the tricks of the trade of aqua 'moshpits'!
  • Training has started to take shape, and I'm really enjoying it.

Tri's can be quite time consuming making sure you have the gear, your training course/location and workout sorted over three discliplines, but once you get into it, its a little bit addictive.