Racing / track trainers for the heavier runner

Team, 

I'm a large-ish runner at 6'4" and about 14 stones (196 lb).

I'd like to know if there's any benefit in me buying a pair of trainers specifically for the track and perhaps also to use in shorter road races (up to 10k).

For the last 3 or 4 years I've trained mostly on the road or on grass and have stuck with Brooks Adrenaline GTS trainers.

I'm training for a 10k at the moment and in an effort to inject some additional pace into my running have started doing some track training with a local running club.  I'm enjoying the track training and it is going well.  My target time is for the 10k around 43 minutes.

So my question is:

1. any benefit (speed / time) to getting some lighter shoes for the track / races
  2. if yes, which ones would you recommend

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Lamb Chop (good name) You're best to go down to your local running shop, preferably one with a running machine that does gait analysis. This will give you an idea of what kind of shoe is best suited to, the way you run and your size etc. Spikes would be best suited for the track (if it is a synthetic track). I've managed fine in the shoes I've been wearing (Mizuno Wave), but if you can afford a few pair pf shoes then go for it. The running shop shoul dbe able to give you some good advice.
  • Thanks for the reply knight rider.

Having slept on this I think I'm probably a bit too much of a lump for a few ounces here or there to make any difference.

I'll stick with what I know for the time being.

Cheers

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "Having slept on this I think I'm probably a bit too much of a lump for a few ounces here or there to make any difference"

quite right as well! I'm heavier than you and keep looking at lightweight kit and all the reviews that says that shaving 20grams of here, 30g off there will improve your performance. well that's all fine and dandy if you're sub-10stone whippet but when you're 16+ stone you have to say "bollocks will it".

but saying that I do wear lighter shoes for races up to 10k for 2 reasons - cushioning isn't so critical at short distances for us big people (gait is though still); and I do feel as if I run on my toes more with them (subconsciously perhaps due to less cushioning) so "feel" quicker. of course I have nothing I can back that statement up with bar feel but psychology can be important when racing.
  • Just out of interest what lighter shoes do you rate fat budha?

I wear Asics DS trainers as my lighter shoe - Asics Nimbus for distance. both are neutral gait
  • The DS Trainer is the Asics lightweight trainer for over-pronators (it has a dual-density midsole and is in the Structured Cushioning section of their website) - so might work for Lamb Chop.

The Asics lightweight neutral equivalent is currently the DS Sky Speed.
    my DS trainers are quite an old version now (don't get a huge amount of use so are still in good nick) and were suggested for neutral to mild over-pronators when I bought them - maybe they have changed the gait suggestion since they brought the Sky Speed out? am tempted to try a pair of Speeds or go full colour bling with a pair of Noosas as I mainly use them in tri anyway
  • Do you reckon that a pair of trainers (and in particular I'm thinking about these sporty light ones) would last longer if only used on a synthetic track?

I'm talking here about the inner guts of the shoe rather than tread or anything else.

One of the things putting me off a purchase here is that I'm loathe to spend good money on more delicate shoes only to pound the stuffing out of them in no time flat! 

I would think that a synthetic track would cause less sole damage than road as it's much less abrasive than tarmac. as for the cushioning, hmmm - maybe. obviously you'll still be pounding the shoes with the same force but synthetic tracks do have some rebound which might help preserve what cushioning is there a bit longer.

I guess only time would give you those answers though

my Nimbus road shoes get one hell of a pounding with my weight and I reckon to get only about 300 miles from a pair before they need replacing