xempo kit

have I got it right..............you buy a top in the colour of your speed............so if you get faster or slower you have to buy a new top...............

so if like me you like the purple one.............you can't buy and wear that one unless i became a speedy person............especially being female.............

so what is the point..................is it so that people can show off that they are fast...................or is it to make sure people get into the right pens in a race..................

is it the same as everyone just buying a plain t-shirt and having a PB printed on it..............

is it so at races we can spot like minded people and head for them and so ignore interacting with anyone who isn't your pace..........

am I just missing the pointimage

Comments

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I want a gold one. 

Apart from the thing with the lack of seperate womens scale which hopefully will happen eventually, I love this concept. 

If you have trained exceptionally hard its a nice way of "showing off" (as you put it, my term would be taking pride in your achievement) without around carrying your medal around. Its very well done and subtle, plus you get to progress up the colours as you progress. Its nice, its about rewarding doing well. 

I think they make lovely gifts - was going to buy one for PRF but he didnt earn it this year with his 3:19 image

• Not sure what this is really, but is sounds like a bit of a money-spinner for Xempo!  Also not sure I like the self-labelling side of it.  I'm not a fast runner, but I don't want a shirt emblazoned with my crap pace on it (which is what this amounts to, by the sounds of it!).  Odd eh?
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Perhaps he got the idea from the coloured bibs in races  which are to line you up properly.  I don't get it either, but some people like to make sure everyone else knows how "fast" they run.

The guy spammed all the marathon threads plugging them, just  pissed me off really rather than make me think about buying one.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Curly45 wrote (see)

I want a gold one. 

Apart from the thing with the lack of seperate womens scale which hopefully will happen eventually, I love this concept. 

If you have trained exceptionally hard its a nice way of "showing off" (as you put it, my term would be taking pride in your achievement) without around carrying your medal around. Its very well done and subtle, plus you get to progress up the colours as you progress. Its nice, its about rewarding doing well. 

I think they make lovely gifts - was going to buy one for PRF but he didnt earn it this year with his 3:19 image

They don't show how hard you've trained, just your time, the two are not the same.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    Curly45 wrote (see)

I want a gold one. 

They don't show how hard you've trained, just your time, the two are not the same.

I didnt say that, nowhere in my post did I suggest that training hard and times were correlated. I said that if you had trained hard and wanted to show off about your achievement resulting from that training then this was a nice way to do that.

Are you willfully misunderstanding the point so you can claim some reverse snobbery (or shock horror elitism)? I qualify for Green by the way. I am proud of the work I put in to get my time so would happily wear a green one (although I want a gold one having seen it on Marigold).

• Just seems like a way for them to make money off boasting. I run for my own personal sense of achievement, don't really care what others think of my efforts.

That said, I'd be excited to see it change colour as I crossed the line in a PB image I have understood that right haven't I? image

• And the "gold" one just looks like someone put the white one in the same wash as the yellow... I've seen better gold in Elizabeth Duke.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I'm not wilfully misunderstanding anything.  The shirts are sold based on your finish time aren't they? Not on how you've trained.  I'm not a snob by any means, or elitist, that's why I don't like the shirts!

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    DoogieHowserMD wrote (see)

Just seems like a way for them to make money off boasting. I run for my own personal sense of achievement, don't really care what others think of my efforts.

That said, I'd be excited to see it change colour as I crossed the line in a PB image I have understood that right haven't I? image

I like this! image

How many people go around shoving their medal in everyone's faces for the week after VLM? Is that boasting or is that just being justifiably proud of an achievement?

The fact is that the medal says nothing about what was achieved other than that the course was completed before it got dark.

Others buy a photo of the finish and frame it with their medal. Is that boasting or is it just being justifiably proud of an achievement?

I sold my medal this year for £24 which, coincidentally, would more than cover the cost of a Xempo top....a more meaningful keepsake of an achievement than a bit of tin that says nothing.

• until recently I had trained really hard and ran all 4 of my road marathons..............yet hadn't achieved my sub 4:15...............yet at 4:26 they would class me in the same boat as Jordan who didn't train or run 52 weeks a year in all weather and who walked the marathon..........

if they think there is a need to have seperate colours for different times..............why stop at 4:15.......

also they rate a sub 3 hour by a man to be the same standard as a sub 3 hour woman........image

• I like the idea. Its clearly showing off - but it'd mainly be to yourself cos 99.99% of the population wont have the faintest idea what its about.

As to making money off boasting - isn't that the same as expensive manufacturers of just about anything ? A budget car will get you from A to B - as would a Rolls Royce etc.
  • Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭
    I don't think the half marathon times are a fair reflection of the marathon times though....My half is alot faster then my full time.....or are the tops for the half and full different??
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I wouldn't want a t-shirt which advertised (to those in the know - the rest of the world wouldn't have a clue), just how slow I am!

I wonder how much I'd get for my 2005 FLM medal?  *goes of to eBay to have a look*....

• Fair do's, PRF, as I said, I run for personal reasons, so an outward expression of times is not my thing, but I totally get that others might, as they run in a more competitive environment.

Although surely the best way to show the rest of the field what time you're capable of is to kick their arses in that race!

And I still don't like the gold though! image

Personally, I probably wouldnt bother.

However, since a lot of running banter revolves around comparing pbs* and developing rivalries, I see nothing but healthy competitive instinct in the concept.

(* I must point out that I avoided all thoughts of comparing 10K pbs when talking to Dave Bedford last Saturday. It would have been a case of '27:30 you say? Ok, you win' image )

• I dunno if I could sell my medals. It just feels wrong ?

(that said - I really don't know where half of them are - so its not as if I'd miss them !)
  • link on the hoem page KK....you can enter a competition to win oneimage
    cougie wrote (see)
    I dunno if I could sell my medals. It just feels wrong ? (that said - I really don't know where half of them are - so its not as if I'd miss them !)

The point was that just after VLM they were changing hands for anything from £20-£60, you will probably able to buy them now for £2-£5 if you really feel the need to replace it.

The reasons why some people may be desperate to get their hands on one very quickly after the event is not for me to draw conclusions about......... image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a white one just to p*ss off the people in colured ones when I overtake them.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Blimey - I was completely unaware of this so the spammer didn't do a great job

I'm green according to my HM time but only yellow for a mara - would I be a fraud wearing a green top in a marathon?

• LOL PRF - I like your thinking - you're basically trading your medals.
    Sell high - buy low !
  • TimR wrote (see)
    I'm getting a white one just to p*ss off the people in colured ones when I overtake them.
    that made me smileimage
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    It's a nice idea for a present for someone else, or a prize in a competition.

Agree that the half vs full marathon times are a little out of sync. My PBs are 1:53vs3:59 and I've got the slowest HM PB of any sub-4 runner I know - in general people say 1:50 (not 1:55) equates to sub4 and I think they're right.

And also it is very "early days" in that there's no age/sex grading - a clubmate of mine ran a sub 2 hm this spring in her sixties (in hot weather too!) which is bloody good going compared to if a hypothetical son or grandson did the same!
  • Having said I wouldn't wear one, I do think it's probably a decent commercial idea..

*Duncan Bannatyne voice*  "Ahm unn"

cougie wrote (see)
    LOL PRF - I like your thinking - you're basically trading your medals. Sell high - buy low !
    I cant claim credit for the idea - Barnsley Runner flogged his for £35 on the day of the race and passed on the tip!
    seren nos wrote (see)
    TimR wrote (see)
    that made me smileimage
    Is this a severe case of reverse snobbery rearing its ugly head again? image
  • + 1 for Mr Puffy's comments.  I too was annoyed by the spamming on threads - reminded me of something to do with the number 6. . .

Now, if they were really clever, they'd make one which would change colour as you passed the finishing line, thus putting you in the correct colour banding.

Marketing hype, just another way to get people to buy more.

Doesn't appeal to me, I'd rather buy the colour that I want.