Sunday 22nd May 2011

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

And why is it raining so?
It's so cold

Morning!

Winter is still with us after sunny April! Freezing yesterday when helping at track and field. Guess the weather is similar in NZ!

What: something later
Why: having to take each day as it comes as calf is very unpredicatable. Last few days have been 20 to 30 mins slooow on the whole
Last hard: Can't remember
Last rest: some time ago now

Enjoy the day

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all, blowing a gale here but the rain has stopped so....

What: Club ride(about 3 hours) AM
    Hour run PM
    Why: Sunday sessions
    Last hard: yesterdays 10 mile TT followed by 250 mile drive home
    Last rest: March but I haven't run for 2 days
    Lyrics: familiar
  • Morning

Wet and windy up here

Rest day, but been out in garden a few times !

Weather doesn't lookk great today and tomorrow peps.

have a good one.

• Ye cant have perfect conditions for every race!!! We'll still give it a good shot!

Simon - Great link - i Havent seen them before - nice!!
  • Yesterday's ;lyrics - Why Do I Keep Counting? by The Killers

Blowing a right hooley here too - managed an hour out on the bike by getting out early before it really picked up but was holding on for grim death and riding at a bout a 45 degree angle to stay upright by the end - glad to get back. Will hopefully get out for a little run later too.

Race well Paddy.

birkmyre - did Geordie get you up in the night?

250 miles is a long way to drive for a TT Gobi.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Lyrics - yup - one of my favourite bands.

Went out to do 16 miles at 7:30 this morning - my left calf got sorer and sorer as the run went on - never having problems with it before, I just kept running even though something in the back of mind was reminding me that other runners I know have calf problems and they sometimes just go "pop".

At 9.74 miles, that's kind of what happened.  I certainly couldnt run at that point as the whole muscle just seemed to seize up.  But I think I got lucky cause I stopped, stretched and walked for a good half mile before resuming very slow jogging and I managed to run the last mile relatively pain free.  Completed 13.1 miles in about 1:52 with the last 3 taking well over half an hour!

Is this a common problem with anyone on here?  Any advice? image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Donj: seems exactly the sort of thing I have been experiencing...and some days its there and some its not...or I run OK but seize up soon after. If I remember you have had an achilles problem before: not unrelated, perhaps. Have you been maintaining the stretches that cured that problem? (And can you remind me what stretch it was?!)

Was due to watch some cricket this afternoon, but it is pouring and blowing a gale. Will run when it stops!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    alehouse - yup, achilles problem in the past but on the other leg - all cleared up now!  The stretch was to do the usual "pushing against a wall" stance with one leg stretched out behind and hold each leg for only one rep for at least two minutes.  I havent been doing it for long enough or often enough - my physio told me to do it in the morning, before exercise and in the evening and I've only been doing it once a day - could certainly be the reason for this calf thing.  Hope the cricket was fun!
  • Well. Strange race. struggled early on (which was uphill and against wind - strong wind). At about 4 miles we got top the top of the hill but wind was still there. After 5 miles we turned and wind was usually across after that.

I felt stronger and I drew a few back towards the end but my time was well down on what i wanted. I finished 7 or 8th (not sure) in a time of 1.20. The time was down but it was v windy. Negative - not as fast as i wanted. Positive - I got stronger as the race went on.

I could feel the calf but it didn't "pop" as don says. I hope it's going to be ok. I have iced and rubbed and bow i have it up with compression socks on.

Don - wait and see tomorrow. Try some ice and keep it up. It might be ok but if pain persists go to see someone about it. Stretch it also.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Paddy: that result is fine!

Donj: didn't go to cricket...too cold, wet and windy for spectators (although they are playing). We need to remind one another, and Paddy, to do those calf stretches at least twice a day!

Ran 25 mins with a few quicker parts in the second half: cold and wet and wore gloves. Summer is definitely here.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

7/8 seems a good result Paddy

What - 11.25m
    Why - Mid distance run
    Last hard - yesterday
    Last rest - Fri

Off to Nottingham again for the week..... so more running along the Beeston Canal and Trent.

• Paddy - if it was anything like here that wind was fierce ands would have cost you a lot of time.

Donj - hope you can sort the calf asap.

Waited for the wind to drop a little and made it out for an hours run, daren't risk the cliff path though - stuck to an out and back along the old railway line. Uphill and tailwind on the way out so downhill and headwind for the way back - best way it could be I guess.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Sounds like a good result Paddy in this weather. Windy here too.
    Was supposed to be taking miniJEB out sailing for the 1st time but decided against it, don't want to put her off for life.

What: 10 mile long(ish) slow run
    Why: it's what Sundays are for isn't it?
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 16/5
    Lyrics: no

Managed to get put early so just missed the rain & gales. 10 mins later I would have looked like a drowned rat.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Not many on here today.

Paddy - well done on the placing - glad the calf held up.

Don - sorry to hear you have injury problems - good to stop and stretch. You might need some massage.

Alehouse - no not cold wet or windy here - why? Christine decided to put in a late entry in the half marathon.

What: Huntly halfmarathon. Talked my daughter into going down with me. She walked/ran the 10km pushing littlest gdaughter in her baby buggy. There was a big field in the 10km over 1000 people. She started at the back of the field and when she went to overtake some people, she got lots of comments, lots of it positive, but mainly "Oh no, we're getting passed by someone pushing a baby". And she's not a little baby - 18mths old. She was good till the 8km point and then was over it. The sun kept getting in her eyes.

And for me, I ran the best race I've run for ages. It was a late start, 10am, so I knew it would get hotter the further we went. It was one beautiful sunny day.

Went throught the 10km in 46 something, little song popped into my head, "Oooh you're half way there, oooh you're living on a prayer", then I remembered one of Paula Radcliffe's tips that was on RW recently. Stay in the minute! So I did. Along with telling myself relax and enjoy even when I was going up hills.

Coming into the finish I heard 1.39 so I had to put in a big effort, didn't want 1.40, so finish time 1.39.29, first W60 and picked up $100 for my effort. I finished 247th out of 1175 runners.

Good running everyone.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Great run Christine - absolutely delighted for you. Cheered me up no end.

Donj - fingers crossed for you and your calf. If it hasn't popped it may respond to a few days rest.

Paddy - sounds like a decent effort given the conditions and what was probably a "contractual obligation" type run. Hope the calf settles before next weekend.

Alehouse - was your run today trouble free. Like yourself (possibly) i'm confronted by the challenge of maintaining motivation to get out there everyday, but without any conviction of where it will lead in the long term.

8 miles run in the wind this morning. would have rather managed 10-12 but couldn't get up for it. Still 8m is better than nothing I s'pose.

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

NZC
    Great stuuf - congrats on the prize!

What:  Just under 14 miles, Exmouth along the estuary, through Exeter & back home
    Why:  Long run
    Last hard:  4 days
    Last rest:  1 day
    Lyrics:  No

Rained hard briefly on the journey to Exmouth, bur otherwise just imto a stiff breeze most of the time.  Nice & sunny, with some great views.  Hill up to home a bit tough at the end though.  A run to do again, or possibly along the West side next time?  Bit of research required methinks...

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

NZC: great! What wind and rain, indeed?!

Tom: few calf problems at the moment, but have backed off rather in the past week, not least because I have felt under the weather...I blame last Sunday's 6 hour marshalling stint. I am also snowed under with work: I am marking national tests as well as working most days. Will only be working 3 half days this week though, but have a marking deadline of next Saturday for the first batch of scripts. It may, indeed, be the last: I am not in the least motivated by these, not even by the pittance I get paid. In running terms I am not particularly motivated either at the moment, but I am on autopilot in terms of running everyday. There is no question whether I will run, it is just a case of when. Unfortunately it is not so much a cse of "what" at the moment: oh to be niggle free.

Apparently I missed a cracking cricket match today: my choice because of the weather, and an even better one yesterday: my choice to earn money marking. Two wrongs don't make a right!

Lyrics today were: "Why does it always rain on me?", Travis.

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words,Gobi, Tom,40mins and alehouse.

It now appears the course was short so everyone's times have been adjusted for the correct distance! So now I have a new time of 1.42.16 which I still have to be happy with. Placings all stay the same!