VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Great news on the job Hash, I knew you would love that concert, my pal said it was amazing.

Mark let us know how the comeback is.

You will enjoy that 10 today Hash, as for hills well they get you tougher .

I was pleased with Tuesday and yes a year does make a lot of difference, I need to look at my training for the 10K distances, have done the first leg of the Hilly 100 today at Stratford, a 10 mile stint which was certainly not flat, hoped for a 1.20 finish but finished in 1.14.08, av 7.31 (it was just under 10 miles)  my time on Tuesday was only 10 seconds per mile faster on a flat course image

It was a good confidence booster today especially as it was blowing a gale in parts so I had that to contend with too, my leg was at 0600 I am now back home , that is after waiting for my mate to do the leg after me and taking him back to his car  and its still only 1015 image

• Blimey rod good, no fantastic running well done. I am able to cycle but not run yet going out on the bike with Jane this aft while she runs. Hope to run by next weekend though I suspect a run walk strategy to start with!
  • That sounds hopefull Mark the bike will a good way to get started back again, I'm really pleased with today, my aim is to become consistent in times with these distances so it becomes second nature, then I can look at some faster times for the shorter distances.
  • Just take it steady Mark - no more injuries please!!

Hash the job sounds good - really pleased for you!

Did 6 yesterday and another 10 this morning at good pace - needed it to de-stress as work was horrendous last week and next week my PA is away and have a temp in - not the best scenario the week before I go away AND that blimmin volcano has set off again!!!!!!!!!!
  • Just done 13miles with daughter, her running and me on the bike supplying her with water up the Monsal trail and back through the six tunnels they have just opened.awesome views as you come out onto the viaduct.
    Only a minor volcanic eruption pb, should be okay!

Snail street signing off....
  • Pinks I thought of you as well when I heard about the volcano. I remember last time there was a huge fuss when it was all over that they'd been overcautious and could have opened up the routes much sooner, so I really doubt you'll be on for a re-run. Fingers crossed even so. Sorry to hear about the work hassle and hope the week is calmer and passes quickly.

Blooming brilliant Rod, lovely to see you going so well.

Mark glad to hear you're on the mend.

Managed nearly 9 yesterday, still bloomin' slow and my glutes are so tight I had to get up in the night to foam-roller them into stopping complaining. A tad stressed... Blouse is at home this week hoping the phone rings with interviews. He's being paid to the end of the month so is trying to think of it as a holiday, and there's a couple of possibilities interview-wise so here's hoping.

Have good weeks all
  • Morning

*waves to Hash out the office window in the direction of the City*

Busy weekend - no running but caught up on lots of jobs.  Early start and back in the gym this morning, just 20 mins on the treadmill but its a start.  Need to lose 1/2 stone before my cousins wedding on the 11th June.

Mark - are you on the bike again today?

• Had to wear suit today so car into work, big Dutch visit this week so hoping for no surprises re our office.
    Bonne chance to mr hash re employment.
    Happy training suze it's hard to lose weight when running unless you eat less then u feel like u r starving.
    Happy new week all.
  • Oh bugger, just watching the news.  Everything crossed Pinks

Thanks Mark

Suze unless you've had a body transplant since VLM, the photos suggest otherwise!

Another 3 miles for me at lunchtime having a nose around where I went to college, unless I decide to poddle round to Kings Cross after work.  That's IF I can find the place, I can't get over how much London's changed in the last *cough* 30 years since I was a student there.  I'm only 25 you know, honest.image

• London has changed a lot Hash some ways not for the better, Birmingham has sadly suffered the same fate in many parts of the city.I think it's brilliant you have the motivation to run at work, I suppose its like anything else once you get into the swing of it it is fine.

I'm going to the club this evening for the first Tuesday in a while, running over fields is on the agenda, 6 mile race there on Thursday with a nasty steep hill on it, I can't wait!

Then Burton on Trent 10 miler Sunday where I hope to finally get a decent "official" time image

Pinks it will be fine and you will go on holiday ! x

• Very envious of you rod keep at it your times keep getting better! Well done!
  • Thanks Mark how is the leg? I aim this year just to try and maintain what fitnes / pace I have got and not put too much weight back on again, I think I will be ok, I have some better 5 and 1oK times now at the minute my 10 mile time is something like 1.23 which is ok but no where near where I should be, I really hope to get under 1.15 on Sunday but anything under 1.18 I will take.
  • Calf improving but not strong enough to run yet.cycling at the moment.nasty tear though no bothered going to docs or physio so hope it's not more serious. Gatton and google say rest,ice the only treatment for this. Will take me until sept to get fit again and lose some stomach! Hope Sunday goes well. Would have come down to support but have visitors this weekend staying.
  • It is so frustrating being injured I am not 100% but not far off, how I did VLM I don't know, I'll be ok for a half at the minute no more though! Lets hope you are fit for GNR Mark.
  • Everywhere changes so quickly these days (old age creeping up?)  I drove along a road today and discovered waste ground where a motorbike dealers had been
  • Got to be there as no 3 daughter doing the junior on the Saturday!

• Hi all.  Its been quiet on here (for a change image)

I had my fundraising weekend at Sainsburys at the weekend and the fantastic staff and customers donated £726.  I was amazed, especially as it was just me in the foyer, no bag packers or anything else.  A great boost to my total.

Good luck with the GNR training Mark. You should be able to do quite a bit on the bike and that will build great leg strength as long as it doesn't aggravate the calf.  You can do anything on the bike that you would do running, like hill reps, intervals etc.

Hash glad you are able to get out running in London xx

Rod, your running is great.  Good luck at the weekend

• Great effort rio!! Surprising how generous folk are still in these tighter times.
    My youngest set up a page for her gnr run and already she has had£40 on it.
    Www.just giving.com/theastreet
    People are very generous in this country.
    Happy running all...............calf too tight to run yet but bike ok.
  • Growing old is no more than a bad habit which a busy person has no time to form.
    Applies to you lot all working hard out there.
  • Thats amazing Rio, thanks for the kind words too, I am trying hard and still find it a struggle to keep improving but then thats all part of it I guess.

Keep up with the biking Mark, a club race tonight which I think I will do, the groin niggle is still about but the gym session last night seems to have sorted it almost, will see how I am after the warm up.

• Hi all.

Well done with the fund raising Rio.  Hope the training is going to plan.

Mark - How far is your daughters race?

Tuesday night was one of the hardest sessions I have done with the club but also one of the best as both groups joined up and we all went to the park to do a sprint session.  Not sure what the local teenagers thought of a group of about 40 people running between cones but I enjoyed it.

Now I'm looking forward to Monday and the Bupa London 10k.  I don't feel as strong as this time last year but I have done more running in the same time between the marathon and the 10k.  I am targeting a PB as its a fairly flat course.

Day off tomorrow, yippee!!! Getting my go faster stripes put back in my hair.

Rod - if you race then good luck

• I did the race, it was a hard run but reasonable conditions , a bit blowy. Finished in 43.53 average 7.19 on a course that was certainly not flat, I made the downhill bits count but there was a steep hill between 2 and 3 miles and an uphill finish.

Still all in all I am more than happy, am a load faster than 12 months ago. image

• Hey everyone - been stupidly busy at work last 10 days and with PA off on hols it was hard going even though I had a temp in. Mr Pinks had rehab session at Papworth Wednesday and all seems to be going ok - got lots of info about nutrition and exercise and they did treadmill test taking him to 90% max HR. He has to start really really slowly and then always have a very long warm up (twice what we do) so as not to stress his heart into action. Then had cardiologist last night and he seems happy with progress and gave us all clear for holiday....................HURRAH!!!!!!!! Now maybe I can relax a bit. We are off at 10pm tonight so this time tomorrow I should be on the beach.

Just had breakie and going our for an 11 miler with my group at 8:15 but its quite chilly and raining here!! image If I don't pop in later I will catch up with you all in a week or so - happy running and good luck to anyone racing!
  • Have a lovely holiday Pinks and Mr P.
  • Great news Pinks hope the run is going well and have a great break. x
  • how was your sunday guys? Had a busy weekend with friends here and then had  game of cricket walk jogging round as the calf still abit sore. Enjoy hols PB and how was your race Rod? Were you racing today thought you were?

Suze hope the 10k goes well tomorrow!!! I am painting father in laws windows all day, how did I manage that???? image

• Race was one of the harder ones I have done lately, a 2 lap 10 miler with one fairly hard hill which slowed me a fair old bit 2nd time round. This was my first proper 10 mile race since December 2009. I was more than happy with 74.43 av. 7.31, I stopped at two water stations as they were plastic cup ones which cost a bit of time plus I lost pretty well half a minute on that hill second time around.

The groin niggle has returned so need to get that sorted, trip to physio once he is back from hols.

Good luck tomorrow Suze and good running to anyone else out there.

Today was a PB by around 7 minutes. image

• I did 10 miles yesterday, shopping today and planning for 15 tomorrow image
  • Hope you are ok Rod. Have fun painting the windows Mark. Nice running USB.
    My kit is all ready for the morning, night all.