Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

One last word on the wind, think we've dodged a bullet as tomorrow night it's suppossed to get up to a ludicrous 28mph. Scary!

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, whatever time you do it in, be proud of your achievement.

NM.

• Good luck to everybody that is posting in here from all the boys and girls on the Edinburgh marathon past and present thread. Have a great run tomorrow. image

Please feel free to join us if you are at a loose end after the event on the absence of a forum to squander hours of your life posting in.  Our numbers can always an annual bolstering!!!!! If you were a previous poster in the past please come back home and say hello we miss you. image

Just incase you have forgot where we live!!!! image

• All carbed up and nowhere to go - yet! Good luck everyone, and enjoy the race.
  • Waiting for my coach from London at the mo. Should be touching down in Edinburgh at 7:50 am. Brought a pillow for the Kip. Good luck everyone!
  • Duke, having megabus-ed it up from London overnight in the past I don't know what kind of state you'll be in on arrival but best of luck to you and everyone else again.

• Are results available yet?

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    3:15:02 for me pleased given the windy conditions from mile 18
  •  Welldone keyboard Worrier a brilliant time!   I am so pleased with my time 3 hours 45 minutes and 21 seconds.    It means I have an automatic entry into london next year - good for my age time  (not bad for a 49 year old)  I am so pleased I will get to run london in my 50th Year!   

Slowhand, Sequin, moving along and Jakesy how did you do? 

Jan xx

• Tough final straight - well done folks. I managed 3:22:14 so chuffed with that. Had a good strong 20 miles then just took the last 6 on the chin - boy was that hard!
  • I saw jakesy at the finish - 2.57 - impressive time - I know I lost time coming back. Great race though - I got my GFA with a 3.10 so no complaints.
  • Some very impressive times! Well done guys!

First ever marathon for me. Was hoping for 4:20 but more than happy with 4:28. Was super windy towards the end. Thought I'd be saying, "never again" but I'm already thinking about the next one.

Was good fun but thought the finish was a bit chaotic - took an age to get bag, find wife and find bus. All a bit narrow.

Anyway, well done all, great (if a little windy) day out.
  • 3.47.04 for me. Was aiming 3.45 but think the wind and the rain contributed to the slower time. Also had a loo stop (in a cubicle!). Mixed feelings about Edinburgh marathon experience.. but glad I did it. What a beautiful city!

Hope everyone recovers well. Here's to the next one! I don't think I will do Edi again but I too am thinking about the next marathon...

• Bumbles / Sequin - well done both of you. Liverpool 09.10.11. should be your next one!

THE Long And Winding Road Race...
  • 2:57 for me,first 18 miles were a breeze and i was well inside 2:50 pace but that wind was horrendous.I got to 20 miles in 2:09 so still just inside 2:50 but i knew i couldnt knock out 6:30`s in those conditions.By mile 22 the wind was really taking its toll on me and everyone around me,it was hard to drive the knees forward and we were down to a shuffle.was really glad to see the finish line and im happy with my performance in those conditions.

Well done to everyone else who ran, some great times posted.Ive got my GFA for London, just dont know if i wanna do it yet 

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi folks, and WELL DONE to everyone who ran!! 

I managed to get round in 3.08, not a PB, and 3 mins slower than my London time 5 weeks back, but think that wind prob added a minute or 2 onto final time. Despite it being slower than recent races it was by far my best in terms of pacing and finish, felt good and strong allthe way the finish line.

I've some issues with the organisation of this race though and feel the organisers are fleecing people year after year. The end of the race was an absolute farce, how far was it from the end to where the food/beertents etc were, shocking, also a lot of people weren't allowed down Pinkie Rd to see their friends/family coming in at the end of the race - an absolute disgrace (kids in tears etc). The mile markers were far too small, blink and you'd miss them, and the medal is awful, a pity as although this race has had some flaws in previous years the medal has always been good, this years didn't even have 'Edinburgh' on it and not to have the actual year on it is a glaring ommission.

Aaaaanyway, another mara down, roll on October, gonna do either Amsterdam or Palma - if anyone wants to get a PB and run a cracking race get yourself to Amsters, I've done it twice and it's superb, I just fancy a wee change and think Palma would be good.

Cheers!!image

• So that was it, what a day!
    We made the weekend of it and went up Friday, just myself and good wife as support crew. Was not up early enough to see the 10K on the Saturday but fronted up at the Hub to watch the 5K and Junior races. Terrific atmosphere.
    As for the Marathon, I think we will all agree that those last six miles were pretty hellish, wind on the nose and squally showers in with the mix.
    I went through the half way mark in 1:30 so felt reasonably confident of cracking the 3hr. Ha, no way, though am delighted with a final time of 3hrs 2mins 24secs.
    That was my first Marathon since 1983 and uncannily, my PB for then was 3 hrs 3mins and 20 odd secs. I now have a new PB!
    This thread has run for a good while now and I would like to thank all those regular early contributers. It was a terrific boost and helped maintain the training focus. I was on a ship with just a treadmill for much of that time.
    Good luck to everyone for their future marathon running. I'm now looking at Liverpool, 9th October. I'm sure there is a sub 3hr in me.
  • kenny_yan wrote (see)
    Duke, having megabus-ed it up from London overnight in the past I don't know what kind of state you'll be in on arrival but best of luck to you and everyone else again.

Well the first coach was nice and comfy but because there were quite a few tourists from london I boarded a lucketts coach rather than a national express one. Seats were not comfy and leg room near non existant. Somehow I managed to rest up enough and wasn't tired at all at the starting line!

Came in at 4:03.21, I was so close! Decided to speed up after 16miles after maintaining 9:36, then ran out of steam at 23. Managed a jog over the finish and now have a pink face because the queue for medals and tshirts was horrendous!

Coach back was not the best journey because of aches and pains and yet another lucketts coach! Will definitely get a train or plane next time.

• Hail Hail

Well done all.

2.51 for me after half way in 79.50 the wind REALLY took its toll.  Some folk do better in the wind, and I definietly do not.  Cruised home from 20M knowing that target time was gone, so just tried to shield 3rd/2nd lady from the wind.  She told me that she had a nice view image.

Usual debacle of Edinburgh.  If it was a £15 race, then fine, but for nearly £50, there were too many mistakes.  Shame on you GSI events.

• Alli BongoAlli Bongo ✭✭✭

A day of relaxation for me today  image with the 5 1/2 hr drive home after the race yesterdayimage

Very happy that despite the wind I managed a new PB of 4:15:13 (11 minutes up on the last one) - those last 6 miles were tough, but managed to keep going.  At least we didn't have the heatwave of previous years. 

The organisation at the start seemed good, but must admit I wasn't expecting to stand for half an hour at the finish waiting for medals, bags etc.  Good job it wasn't raining or they could have had a few cases of hypothermia on their hands.

• Well done to all!

Had a bit of an injury disaster myself so my time was a disappointing 5:30. My knee has been playing up a lot and hampered me all the way round. I slogged to 22 miles but the combo of wind and knee was too much and I had to walk most of the rest....slowly.

Not too downbeat about it because on top of being a 1st marathon, it's about 5 miles and about an hour and 40 minutes more than I'd ever ran before. I'm sure I'd have done it had the knee behaved.

Anyway, it was a great day and a brilliant experience.

No big Q's by the time I finished but they only had Half Marathon t-shirts left! Bit of an insult that I thought, but otherwise the organisation was OK from my own POV.

• 4:23 - a PB, but I'm not sure if its because of the course or despite it!

Has anyone looked up the split times on the results page?  That 30K mat can't have been in the right place.  According to that, I did 21-30K in 45 minutes (sadly not) but then took 1:19 to do 30-42K.  It looks even weirder for the superfast people.  Apparently some of them did 21-30K in 19 minutes but then took nearly an hour to do the last bit! 

Another thing that wasn't quite right, it seems.  It could have been worse.  It could have been a great deal better.

• my split times were spot on.  results and Garmin match to a few seconds
  • Got to mention the wind today - now that would have been difficult to run in!
  • Think there was a mix up with the t-shirts yesterday.  Two of my friends who did the half got full marathon t-shirts and another two of my friends who did the full ended up with half t-shirts and were told they'd run out of full marathon t-shirts - probably because they gave them out at the half by mistake - duh! image

Not very good when you've paid all that money!  Another friend who did the full even got a t-shirt which didn't have the race on it, it just said Edinburgh Festival!

•   Great day all in all.  My first EMF but having read the forums about last year I was prepared for "logistic issues "  I did enjoy the race and the last 6 miles in the wind were a real test.  Managed to run a PB in the first half which is probably why it felt like running in treacle into the wind.  I also kept missing mile markers too ?  Anyway my first marathon  3.52 is very pleasing !!

If idon't get a FLM place next year I will be back........  

Keep on running !!!

Pat

• Just got back from a wet and windy Edinburgh,well it is Scotland after all,though we were lucky on the day with the way the weather turned out this morning.
    Jan Settle very well done,what a result and to all the others who took part well done,that was a hard last 6 mile.Being a Scot I was not happy with the organisation of the supporter buses to and from the finish,very poor and has been said the finish area and reunion area was badly set up.Mile markers....you were lucky to see them...21-25 mile?
    I was happy with my time of 4.04.11,just could not go any quicker over the last couple of miles.A p.b. for me taking 15 mins off my previous best.Some cracking times done yesterday,well done Jakesy,DesRes etc.I wont do Edinburgh again because of the lack of organisation but it is a great city to spend a w-end in.
    Dave.
  • Massive well done to everyone who ran the full marathon yesterday. You have my absolute respect and admiration!

DOES ANYONE WANT TO SWAP T-SHIRTS??

I have a mara t-shirt in small that I would like to exchange for a HM top in the same size. It's only a minor thing but I wouldn't feel right running in a marathon t-shirt that I didn't earn.

email me at lpang_@hotmail.com

Please only get in touch if you are genuine about swapping.
  • All in all I'd have to say I feel completely ripped off by the organisers of this event. Happy to have managed a PB (4.26) despite those very hard last 6/7 miles but the chaos at the end totally spoiled the weekend for me.

At 4.26 I was hardly at the back of the finishers but was totally dumbstruck when, having queued for what seemed like an age just to get from the finish line to the sorry mess masquerading as the medal/t-shirt funnels, to be told they'd run out of large t-shirts! I then spent just as long making my way to the playing field/reunion are to be told by my totally pi33ed off wife that the much heralded big screen hadn't bloody worked either!

How on earth can anyone justify almost £50 for such a shambles. The organisers should hang their heads in shame while they are counting my money. Definitely my first and last Edinburgh marathon.
  • I have to agree with everything that has already been said about the organisation (or lack of it) yesterday. On the plus side i finished in 3:54:24, managing to knock off 1 hour and 5 minutes of last years time. image 

However i wont be back next year even though it's my local marathon.image