Garmin 305 splits..

WardiWardi ✭✭✭

I'm trying to sort out a glitch with the Mrs' Garmin 305.  No settings have been changed anywhere so this one baffles me.  Her last run (and indeed the entire history) show the splits for each mile as the actual time of day that she got there!  So mile 1 shows 18:28 (nearly half past 6), mile 2 18:36 and so on.  I have searched the Garmin 305 and training centre for a fix to no avail.  Am I missing something?

Someone please tell me this a simple problem to put right then I can bang my head against a wall! 

Comments

• Is this on the device or in some software?
  • Wasn't there 'sposed to be a few glitches on the 305? This possibly being 1 of them fixed with the updated model?

• What settings does she have on the display? Make sure the Time is set as 'Time' and not Time of Day....

If you don't find the answer here try https://forums.garmin.com/

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Ah, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.  The 305 readings are fine.  The problem is in 'Garmin Training Centre'.  The readings under 'Totals' near the top of the page are ok..  The problem is down the left side of the page under 'My Activities'.  Every workout and split is quoted as the time of day.

Thanks for your replies.

• Still not completely clear what you mean. Are you talking about being on the Activities tab when you can see all her activities or when you are looking at one run in particular?

If you can, post a screenshot of what is the issue....
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry LN I can't find a way of doing a screenshot.  At the top left of GTC there are 3 tabs 'History' 'Workouts' and 'Courses'.  This is under 'History'.  Below these tabs there is a calendar, underneath there is 2 years worth of History in date order, most recent first.  Every run on every date has the mile splits as per my 1st post.  Hope this helps! 
  • My mistake.  I was looking at Garmin Connect to view the history of uploads and not GTC.  I can't install GTC on this computer.  Hopefully Schmunks will come along image If not, try the support forum...

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I know what you mean, but if you click on the run itself, then choose (I think) 'details' (rather than showing the map) from the tabs across the top, you should see the splits properly in the window above the graph.

• Garmin Training Center is garbage. Have a look at SportTracks (Windows) or TrailRunner (OSX) instead, and use one of those, keeping GTC as a utility to let you update data on the device (workouts, courses, etc).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ta for the advice, yes GTC is a bit basic.  I am in the process of changing the 305 over to Garmin Connect.  I currently have this page (select 305) but cannot see how to upload anything for the 305, I just keep going round in circles!  My 310XT is on there without problems but I can't figure out how to get the 305 working.  Not doing too well really, dunces hat at the ready! 
  • I understand exactly what you mean  image

Once you've opened a run, you'll see 3 tabs towards the top centre; Map, Totals and Notes.  Click on Totals and this shows your lap/split  times.  I hope this helps  image

GTC is useless.  I use www.goodrunguide.co.uk  It's easy to use but has some strong features and is great for people like me who love stats and graphs  image

• Apologies for going off topic, but I use GTC combined with Runkeeper, and I have never noticed splits in TC, which is a shame, as I find that really useful.

Would I have to press Lap/Split every mile for this to work in TC?

I can see the splits in RK fine, as it does it without any intervention,

Cheers

Dan

• Do you press Lap on your Garmin while you're running?  If so, GTC picks them up automatically.  If you don't, I don't know how to add them manually in GTC or even whether it's possible.  Someone else might know, though  image
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

Dan_B

You can press Lap if you like, but setting auto-lap is easier.

Wardi- did you find the splits as per Polly-2 guide?

If not, that other RW site (fetch) shows splits, even if not recorded as separate laps.

• Thankyou both,

P-P - no I tend to never press lap while I am carrying out a workout, or ever really, as I always do circular courses.

Auto-lap sounds good, I will see if i can find out how to switch that on - I assume it marks each mile in that scenario?

EDIT: Just found out how to switch it on, but it says "Does not work during interval or advanced workouts" image

That is pretty shoddy really - looks like I will need to stick to using Runkeeper in that case.

Cheers

Dan

• For anyone using www.goodrunguide.co.uk you can add splits by doing the following;

Hold your cursor over 'Training Log', wait for the drop down menu and click on 'Log Book'.  Find the run you want to add splits to and, to the right of it, click on 'Edit'.  About 2/3 the way down it says 'Edit Laps/Splits?'.  Click on 'Edit' to the right of this.  You can then add laps/splits in miles or kms or edit previously entered laps/splits.

I hope this helps   image 

• Dan_B wrote (see)

EDIT: Just found out how to switch it on, but it says "Does not work during interval or advanced workouts" image

That is pretty shoddy really - looks like I will need to stick to using Runkeeper in that case.

Why's it shoddy? If your using the Garmin in interval or advanced workout mode a 'split' or 'lap' is automatically put in at every interval/step of the workout so the uatolap feature would not work..

• Dan_B wrote (see)

Why's it shoddy? If your using the Garmin in interval or advanced workout mode a 'split' or 'lap' is automatically put in at every interval/step of the workout so the uatolap feature would not work..

Ah ok, not very familiar with it yet - and it didn't allude to that fact in the manual.

I think the issue is that I am using the workouts downloaded from here, and for example, one is for 3 miles to keep HR in a certain range for the whole lot - so from what you say, I could modify that, and have three steps, each one for a mile, and still for the same HR range, the net result would be identical I assume, but this time TC would give me the mile splits.....?

Cheers

Dan 

• Dan_B wrote (see)
    I think the issue is that I am using the workouts downloaded from here, and for example, one is for 3 miles to keep HR in a certain range for the whole lot - so from what you say, I could modify that, and have three steps, each one for a mile, and still for the same HR range, the net result would be identical I assume, but this time TC would give me the mile splits.....?

That would work but if you take the example you give of 3 miles at the same HR then would you not rather have the average pace per mile over that entire 3 miles rather than the average for each individual mile? from a trainig point of view that would be more logical and thats why Garmins work that way.

• Hi Paul,

I gave this a go yesterday - it still seems to work fine though, it works as far as I can tell - it still gives me the overall average at the top of 'Totals' in TC, but below that I get the individual breakdown for each miles effort, which is rather useful.

Theonly slight annoyance is that I get the countdown beeping at the end of everymile, have to see if I can switch that off somehow.

Also for the first time started training in HR zones as opposed to bpm or %, and it worked a treat, this little device continues to amaze me!

Cheers

Dan

• Dan_B wrote (see)

Theonly slight annoyance is that I get the countdown beeping at the end of everymile, have to see if I can switch that off somehow.

The speakers are that poor on the 305's that within a few months of sweating with it the speaker will be unaudiable anyway.

• There is new predessors on Garmin 305, it is garmin 610. I think garmin forerunner 610 has bring many new features that can help people to get better result on training or just for healthy body.