How to Win Friends and Injure People (and ensuring they hydrate)

MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

"You know you can run for 30 minutes. You’re ready to start training for a marathon."

Plan

I know they are selling drinks and some people just want to get from the start to finish line.  I suppose it's called catering for a market but it's also profoundly depressing.

Comments

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Bollocks - and "ensure".
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)

"You know you can run for 30 minutes. You’re ready to start training for a marathon."

That's true.

There may be some issue with putting the marathon 14 weeks on from that point though.

[30 -> 4:30.  Whatever happened to the 10% rule...]

• i think they keep on proving.........if you aren't running regulary at least 25-30 miles a week for a while..............there is a great chance you will get injured

rather than you can run 2 to 3 miles so go for the marathon.................I appreciate that not everyone will go the ideal lengths that you advocate Moraghan..................but i think they need to be made aware that the chances of injury are higher.when you come from a low base............

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I went from running 5.5 miles in one go to training for a marathon over about 8 months and ended up with a stress fracture...which is reasonably sensible looking at that plan! These things terrify me and appall me in equal measure.

For former lay abouts like myself a marathon is possible, but why not actually enjoy it (the training and the race) by building up over a few years of running?

• "You know you can drive a car ... you're ready to race in Formula 1."

Who gives a toss about the marathon, it's like everyone has to do it. How about those who don't want to and prefer shorter races?

• They've missed out the bit about the quanties of Lucozade that need to be consumed in order to be able to make it.

And how many people need to be tied together.  And as what type of insect.

They've also forgotten to tell you in which week you'll need to start wearing the "ipod", that useful training device.

Apart from that, brilliant plan - bet the physios all over the country are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all those new customers.

• No! No! No! Why include tempo running in what is obviously a "pray you get round" plan?
  • If only I'd realised I could go sub-4 on the back of a single 3 hr run I could have ditched the other 5.  Oh, those wasted hours.
  • chubby bloke wrote (see)
    No! No! No! Why include tempo running in what is obviously a "pray you get round" plan?

I think the worse thing for those just trying to get around or run slowley is to do speed sessions.........it just increases the chances of injury when the runners have not run enough to listen to their bodies

• Curly45 wrote (see)

For former lay abouts like myself a marathon is possible, but why not actually enjoy it (the training and the race) by building up over a few years of running?

We are a culture that is both addicted to instant gratification and also lacking a deep sense of purpose.

So taking onboard the most difficult of challenges with only a minimal amount of time to prepare for them, is somewhat logical. But not informed. Still, I admire aspiration whenever I come across it although am never impressed with the consequences of ignorance.

• So for 4.45+ your longest "session" only includes 2 hours 30 of actual running with another 30 minutes of walking.  So you have to find at least another 2 hours from somewhere - or maybe you just get the bus after that.

F*ck  - what sort of state do they want people to be in at the finish line?

• Is it April 1st?

Just had a glance at it.

They ARE joking? Someone tell me they're joking. For the love of GOD....

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

It disgusts me that an organisation with access to research / experts legitimises this sort of crap in the name of selling drinks.  It's obviously stupid but the more these things get circulated the more it becomes accepted and common practice.

I think the 10 mins of fast running (defined as push yourself to the highest pace you can) is laughable in the context of the plan as is the tempo running already mentioned.

Apart from my own preciousness about such things how could somebody (assuming they got to race day with both legs in tact) possibly enjoy something with such pitiful preparation.

What a great shame Lucozade don't have any talkbacks anymore.  Where are you Lucozade? 

• As someone who has run three marathons now. (And DNSed a fourth) I have learnt the hard way about building your mileage, coming up through the distances and respecting your body and it's limitations.

I'm a bit scared of this actually. You might find people believe it....

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

And when did it become a good idea to lump 60%+ of the entire weekly mileage into one day on a regular basis? image

Although it does look like you're all being a bit too negative because:

Make sure you start sensibly, and stick to your race and pace plan. You’ve
    done the training – you’re physically and psychologically ready to
    go the distance

It must be true, Lucozade say so! image

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

It must be a record but at the sort of pace you could expect to complete the marathon under these conditions (about 12:30 p/m pace) the first weekly running mileage is..........(drum roll)....

4 miles.

Only 10 weeks until the taper starts folks.

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

On the same basis, can anyone guess what this sequence is:

4, 6.5, 7, 10, 10, 11, 14, 12, 14, 18, 20, 13, 8, 3.5+RACE

You could be mistaken for thinking that this was a minimalist sequence of long runs for some sort of 'get you round schedule'.

But oh no, this is the sequence of total weekly mileage!!! imageimage

But, i repeat once more - 

you’re physically and psychologically ready to
    go the distance
  • You'd be in bits by halfway, surely?
  • imageparkrunfan wrote (see)

On the same basis, can anyone guess what this sequence is:

4, 6.5, 7, 10, 10, 11, 14, 12, 14, 18, 20, 13, 8, 3.5+RACE

You could be mistaken for thinking that this was a minimalist sequence of long runs for some sort of 'get you round schedule'.

But oh no, this is the sequence of total weekly mileage!!! imageimage

But, i repeat once more - 

you’re physically and psychologically ready to
    go the distance

that truely is shit..............

my first marathon..........i did do within 9 months of satrting running...............i did build up tom a decent mileage quite quickly..............and my training weels were between 30 and 50 miles per week........no speed sessions................and i still couldn't manage sub 4:30.............and I still failed in the next 3 years despite doing a hell of a lot of training.............

how on earth can you do anything but hobble the marathon with that mileageimage

• 20 = peak weekly mileage?

Even I don't try to get round on as little as that!

• What a ridiculous marathon plan!  How can you run a marathon when your longest run is 90 minutes. Shouldn't it be a half-marathon plan. If that were true, I'd sign up for a marathon tomorrow
  • I wish Lucozade never get involved with marathon training. Their track record been far from
    impressive. The super six is one prime example. Stick to what you good at - drinks.
  • Crikey. I'm hardly an experienced runner, but that looks far more appropriate as a training plan for  half than a marathon.

I'd dispute they're good at drinks - tastes like sweetened sick, imo.  

• I'm sorry but lucozade original is one of the most beautiful things ever created. 
  • But that is the fizzy one!

So who is going to try this plan out for us?
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    I'll email Professor Hawking and ask how he liked it.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think the very final day on the training plan says it all - "RACE DAY  GOOD LUCK"

Lucozade have never been the same since Daley Thompson ran to Iron Maiden.  Them were the days.

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭
    I run more weekly mileage than specified in that plan (far more, actually) and I don't even feel ready to attempt a half marathon.    image
  • Do you think they're reading this thread? image
  • TikkaTikka ✭✭✭
    LB, possibly but if they're as thick skinned as the folks at RW Towers seem to be they won't take a blind bit of notice and the plan will still be on their website this time next year.