Thurs 26th May

So go-oh!

What: One mile as quick as I can
Why: Need a baseline to work from

Last hard: Just now
Last rest: Mon

Been very much down in the doldrums since Geneva Half, things have been getting on top of me. But got a great boost this morning. One mile in 6'04".

In Dec I set myself a goal of a sub-20 5k. In March it still looked a mile (!) off, I tried 5k and did 24'17". Mission Impossible.

To even get this far is amazing, I just need to take 24 seconds off my mile time in 6 weeks and I have done it. I've got th ekick (I went through half mile in 2:50), I just need the wind.

Feeling bit emotional now. My internal voice has gone from "Give it up, son, it's  bad job. You've no chance, you must be a fool to believe you had" to "COME ON! GET IN THERE! YOU CAN DO THIS!"

It's put a smile on my face image

Comments

• Morning peeps.

What:4.5M Tempo run

Why: It started out as a Steady run but got faster as I felt good (Which makes a nice change ).

Yesterdays lyrics, that most of you got. '19' by Paul Hardcatle. Heard it on radio on Tuesday and it was in my mindyesterday morning image

Cheers for  starting today thread BCDB, was struggling a bit this morning !

A hectic day at work yesterday, more of same today...

Have a good one

Catch up properly soon.

• It must be the time of year for it - our wedding anniversary today - 6 years. We're having a meal at Magpie's tonight to celebrate  which I'm really looking forward to. Unfortunately Mark wants to repeat our long run to earn it - not sure my quads will comply but I'll have a good go at persuading them.

Stickless - glad you got your run in.

BSCDB - good to hear you upbeat again. I think we all need a bit of belief and a tangible sign that we're heading in the right direction is always a help.

Lyrics - not today.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

BCDB: great stuff!  Any mile starting with a 6 scares me ... and I find reps and intervals incredibly hard work. I'm simply not built for speed image

What: 11.31 miles
    Why: miles miles miles
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: no

BTW, there's a Canadian country band named The Cropdusters ... 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Happy Anniversary, LMUH image
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

LMUH
    Congatulations!  Happy anniversary

BCDB
    Great stuff, I only managed 0.3 of a mile at that pace at the end of my run yesterday, I know a whole 6m/m is beyond me.

Possibly an easy run later.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    BCDB - nice one, keep pushing :¬)

What: hill reps with a client d&d
    Bike lunchtime
    Hill reps with my squad PM
    Why:FISH THURSDAY !!!!!!
    Last hard: there were hard efforts in last nights TT
    Last rest: 28th March although I have put non running days back in my schedule
    Lyrics: No

Last nights TT was strange for me. Slight hammy strain during speed work on Monday meant that warming up I found Aero position a bit uncomfortable. Rode easy for a couple of miles and then slowly picked the effort up. Had fun getting stuck behind a very considerate driver who waited until he had a good gap before passing my minute man(you can't be mad when they are being so nice). Put some proper efforts in during the last 3 miles though. For a Wednesday effort I was quite surprised. Obviously Rach was out of sight :¬)
  • Morning all.

May as well jump on the bandwagon:

Ms. Thomas has started up her musical career. I hear that she has been doing gigs all over Manchester!!

6 miles d&d on TM
    1k swim d&d

All this talk of anniversaries reminds me that mine is in June - i mustn't forget.

All the best for the anniversary LMH.

Danny - coming back sometimes is hard - keep on plugging away - you'll get there!!
  • Morning all

Slight improvement today, breathing settled down, chest seems clear, just feeling a bit light headed/dizzy now. Tried a very slow 3 mile test run this morning as was supposed to running in local league tonight. Heart rate was sky high for effort so think I will do the sensible thing & give it a miss.

BCDB - Nice speed. It's great for the confidence when you can actually see the improvement. Keep it up, I'm sure you'll blast that sub-20

LMUH - Happy anniversary & enjoy the fish & chips (& the long run image)

What: 3 very slow miles

Why: Just testing

Last hard: that was

Last rest: Yesterday

Lyrics: no

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

MORNING

Nice opening post bcdb!

happy anniversary lmuh, enjoy your evening!

last nights bike ride home was glorious, 25.27 miles with lots of hills and made left leg problems ease right off which is good

what: rest

why: need to

last hard: last night

last easy: sunday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

LMUH Happy anniversary to you and MARK. You are right i've lost count of the number of peeps i know that have had anniversaries since Sunday

Happy anniversaries to Dustin and Chick for yesterday though not to each other

Paddy i feel i wouldn't run a natural gait and cause further problems

BCDB Crikey thats quick might manage that pace for 200m tops on a good day

• A'noon.

LMUH :Happy Anniversary today

Also belatedly to Chick  Dustin and anybody else I've missed.

BCDB:Well done on your mile. Sorry forgot to post that earlier !

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary LMUH! image

BCDB - great feeling isnt it - just go for it - you definitely can do it! image  Great mile time.

I ran 3.5 miles today - still choked with the cold but I felt I had to get out because of the race on Sunday (which starts less than 0.5 miles from my house and runs by it).  Missed 3 days and still feel sore and low on energy but got out there anyway - took the dog cause he always slows me down.  As I sit here coughing and streaming from the nose I'm not yet sure whether it was a good idea.... lol.  image

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

BCDB - bravo - I think you've given a lift and a bite of faith to all of us, that it might come right if we keep at it.

Happy Anniversary LMUH - enjoy the supper even more for whetting the appetite with a run first.

DonJ - hope you get away with it!

Tired here, but no run planned, save it for tomorrow. Had intended to declare myself ill and go home, but there are things on the agenda for a meeting that I don't want to have to hear about second hand.
  • afternoon all,

NZC:  But you like me. image

BSCDB: Well done on the mile. I'm trying to get my inner voice to stop reciting Silvia Plath poems.

LMUH:  Happy Anniversary!  Are you in Whitby?  Spookie!  We went on a day trip to Whitby on our honeymoon. 

• What:  6.5m
    • Why:  Ticking over
    • Last Hard: ?
    • Last Rest:  sunday

Have a good one!

• Afternoon

Happy anniversary LMUH

What 10 commute
    Why Taking things easy through the summer
    Lyrics No

Had a latwe start at work today so took the long way round which came out at 10 miles. Felt laboured in parts but need a bit of a confidence booster ahead of next weeks race.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    congrats to those also celebrating anniversaries.
    Late May always popular falling as it does between the end of the footy season and before the cricket gets going (or was that only me)

what - 6 miles tempo
    why - thursday

Just got a text from elderst, competing in Hants school multi events (Pentathlon). Apparently its been torrential rain all afternoon....doubt there will be pbs a plenty.

Also in todays news, Ryan Giggs has admitted he gets homesick.
    He said that although he is happy in Manchester, he does Miss Wales occasionally

have a good eve
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Bryan - if I recall back in 2005/6 you were capable of running sub 18m for 5k, but always had an impatient streakimage Give it a couple of months and you'll be well inside 20mins (if not 19mins)....but you'll still have your impatient streak.

Anniversaries - is in November, when it will be 41 years wed, mind you we haven't spoken to each other since 1975! Out of interest NZC what is your score on this door.

Ran 7.2m this afternoon between showers. The complete opposite of yesterdays laboured effort. Brisk (well by current standards anyway), feeling strong in the core and well balanced with glutes firing in unison. Still can't pluck up courage to put a watch on my runs yet.

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Afternoon/evening,

Great to see you so positive BCDB, and clocking an awesome mile image The half was just a blip - onwards and upwards!

Happy anniversary LMUH image Have a lovely time celebrating.

Nice one on the TT Gobi. Hill reps twice in one day though... *shudder*

Loving the jokes Paddy and Dustin!

Rest well JEB, Stickless and Pammie.

What: A few easy miles

Why: Mini-taper

Last hard: Last night on the Treadmill of Doom

Last rest: Tuesday

It is now time to bid the Treadmill of Doom goodbye, at least for speedwork. It helped me get my times down over the last year, but I've got to the point where I really need to learn to keep the pace myself on the road. (Also, to keep improving I have to keep putting the pace up - and the faster it gets, the more scared I am of falling off. I am after all a clumsy sod). So, I've decided to bite the technology bullet and purchase a Garmin. My running will take on a whole new level of geekery, and I'm looking forward to it.

Enjoy your evenings everyone - almost the weekend!

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    X-posted with Tom as it took me so long to type that... good to hear it felt easier today. When you're finally ready to face the watch, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Tom - good stuff - amazing when you are able to get one of your runs out to 10 miles, it makes the other ones feel like a breeze!

We were 41 years in March.

LMUH - Happy anniversary!!

MadameO - good luck with the garmin purchase - should be fun looking at all the numbers. I'd especially like one for the heart rate information. It seems a lot of people run their events on heart rate. I wouldn't even know what mine was!

Dustin - hope your eldest was able to complete all her events.

Don - I'm feeling a bit low too, I'll probably take my dog out too, but she definitely doesn't slow me down!!

Wabo - sounds like you really enjoyed your bike ride.

What: No run from me.

Why: Feeling like I'm getting a cold and it was pouring down all day.
  • AF - Whitby indeed. Hope you had a good a visit as we are.

NZC - hope you feel better soon.

MadameO - I'm a total technophobe but love my Garmin.

Dinner did not disappoint - hope the weather lets me get out to burn some of the calories off tomorrow!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    MadameO - enjoy the Garmin purchase. Sounds' like you're going for the HRM version, with it's hidden agenda....the full out maximum HR determining effort....enjoy!

Christine - sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low. I always think of you as being perennially "up", as you always have the knack of saying to me what's exactly needed when I need it. Also I have this vision of you kitted in black striding purposefully along, just like one of Lydiards best.

For fans of the folk-punk persuasion, the following surfaced off the itunes library this evening:

Blyth Power
    Newcranes
    Whiskey Priests
    Flogging Molly

Probably no takers for this lot. Several years ago I referenced the Derby based Newcranes to Popsider (also Derby based) who told me that every person who had ever stood in front of a microphone in a DErby pub had at one time played with the Newcranes!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: 15 mins steady and well wrapped up including hat and gloves...after all it is summer
    Why: streaking, despite not feeling great...have got first cold for years...actually suspect its an allegy to the football jokes.
    Last hard: putting one foot in front of the other tonight
    Last rest: Dec 09

Love Whitby! Have stayed there a number of times, and Runswick Bay, too.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LMUH - happy anniversary

BCDB - youll get there

What - Parkun measuring .....
    Why - New parkrun coming to town
    Last Hard - yesterday
    Last rest today - well if you xall walking 5k and a bit to and fro....

Take care

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - I've commented on your streak thing previously, in which I've owned up to streaks of 365+ myself. The more the streak goes the more it has to be preserved. As part of my lifetime, mostly unsuccessful, battle against obsession, I've tried to avoid getting myself into that "one more day" situation. So much so, that I found myself last week sitting in Madrid airport between flights reading a book thinking "what would Ron Hill be doing now"......and resting the urge.

However for me the weakness is, and always has been, total weekly mileage. I try to cope with this in a rather feeble way. Back in the day, when 100mpw was de rigeur, I would only target 90mpw, but that would have to be week after week! At the moment I say I'm "only" running 45-50mpw..........but really means 50mpw every week. To achieve this I spend every day from Tuesday onwards working out what I have to do to hit the target.

So....week to date 39m, means easy 5m tomorrow followed by 8m on Saturday to hit 52m for the week (all helped by yesterdays 10m). Then of course it all starts again next week, the key to which is at least 10m on Sunday.*

* Excerpt from the diary of an obsessive.
  • Hi All

Tom - liking the music refs..interesting stuff. I want to go to Whitby - it sounds nice!

Good session tonight, bit breezy, but managed about 66's for 12 x 400 with 90 secs recovery, which was suprising. Hope it keeps up until southern lge track next saturday! I want to try and get down to my 2.02 800 PB somehow...

Madame O - Did you know Brum City now have 3 major sponsors next year? An oil company, a clothes retailer and a delivery company....their shirts will display this next year - TOTAL,FCUK UPS image

Shame the weather is cack - but least it isn't too hot (straw clutching a plenty....)

BIG HEAD MOMENT!!!! - GOT A PICTURE AND MENTION ON PAGE 20 ATHLETICS WEEKLY (DENNIS THE MENACE VEST!) FAME AT LAST image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Simon that session of 400s at 66s is very impressive. Should indicate good things for 1500-3000m. What is your current best for these distance

If you've got 2:02 speed for 800m, then based on the above you should be on for sub 4;00 for 1500m - though it may take a few races to hit it. Out of interest what is is your PB for 400m