Great Edinburgh Run 2011 - the route in mapometer

CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've entered the Great Edinburgh Run 2011. It's my first 10k so I was keen to know what I was facing hill-wise. Being sad and geeky, I therefore entered the route in mapometer so far as I can work it out.

See here if you're interested:

http://www.mapometer.com/en/running/route_1298335.html

Should be  about right, but I can't work out exactly where it starts and finishes, and the route around the National Gallery onto Princess Street Gardens. 

Looks like an entertaing climb at the start, a few ups and downs, then downhill at the finish.

Comments

• LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Hi Cormorant,

the Great Edinburgh Run is superb - I ran it for the first time last May.  The route itself is fantastic, and it looks pretty spot on from your entry on mapometer.  Last year, they secured the finish within the grounds of Holyrood palace, so having come down the royal mile you head towards abbeyhill, then cut into the palace and finished in there. 

You've nailed the route at the national gallery too.

Not sure if they managed to secure that finish again this year - shame if they didn't. 

I won't be making it this year as I'm doing the Loch Ness Marathon on the same day - gutted they moved the edinburgh run from may to october!  not sure of the reasoning for that. 

Take it easy on the hill out of holyrood park - its a long one, but after that its a great and fast route.

• CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the feedback, very useful to know what last year's was like. The route map is on the website, but it's hard to be 100% sure.

I heard the Holyrood bit was tough. Luckily I now live very near Edinburgh so have an opportunity for sneaky practice, and in any case everything is hilly near me. Forewarned is forearmed though.

The feedback here from last year's Loch Ness Marathon makes it sound superb, if challenging for a beginner. I was contemplating next year's Edinburgh marathon but it sounds like a shambles for the runners. I was a spectator this year so I know it wasn't all that great. That's a long way away at the moment anyway.