Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Got a whopper of a trout on the line, running all over the lake, and it managed to snap my line.  Arrgggggh!  So the godson went home disapointed again, although a Stawberry Cornetto was a good stand-in.  And some poor fish has a hook stuck in its jaw, if it's unlucky.

This is turning out to be just as consistently frustrating as running a half decent London marathon.

Ah well.  Sorry to drift off topic there.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Thanks all

Padams - I am with PtB, I would have stood up and run in the water :¬0

RS - have you got a marathon coming up ?

Long 62 on the bike in a horrible wet windy 25 mile TT. I shall be running later.
  • Options
    Afternoon all
    Thanks for all the congrats on the England selection (selbs - yes I wanted the Denmark slot as it fits in better with some family stuff). ,thought I'd better show my face seeing as I haven't posted in so long (other than to take the piss out of CRAB)
    Not a lot going on this end with a few niggles and a shockingly slow recovery from VLM stopping me from getting fit but hopefully it might start coming together soon.

Anyone do the BUPA 10k?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

RS - nice one on the 20, thought you didnt have any autumn marathon plans ! Or have I got that wrong ?

Marigold - congrats, trouble with those 8 week build ups is your legs take ages to come good again, although they seem to work a treat !

Tmap - bad luck there, but that fish is better off back in the lake than in your frying pan !

Gobi - 62mins for a 25M ? or 62M inc a 25M TT ? Sounds good either way.

HR - not sure when you arrived, I think I missed you introducing yourself, or have you been on another thread that I dont frequent ? Are you aiming sub3 soon ?

consistent consistency at this end, 2 hr hilly bike Saturday (plus a while longer to bring up the 40M), 2 hr mixed terrain bike y'day (plus a few minutes extra to bring up the 40M), 2 hr flat bike today (42.5M bagged). Trying to address my limiters.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Just back from the Hatfield Broad Oak 10km. I don't think it was short -- Garmin made every 1km 0.61 to 0.63M and a total of 6.19M, which is well within GPS accuracy of 10km. The sub-34 proved a bit of a fantasy, but I was happy enough to have paced things reasonably well and caught quite a few fading while I still had some beans at the end. Splits:

3:24 (target pace for 34 min, but tailwind/touch downhill, avoided temptation to go quicker though)
      3:26
      3:26
      3:25
      3:24
      3:31* (missed a marker, 7:02 for two -- loop through village bit with a downhill then a climb)
      3:31*
      3:33 (oh dear, into wind, but still worrying)
      3:24 (some beans left after all and still into wind a bit)
      3:17 (maybe more than I thought -- plus fun downhill through the finish)

Overall 6th place and 1st V40, which is rather better than I expected from last year's results. 1248 ran. Chip time 34:24, gun 34:26 (though I was on front row -- slightly shambolic start as old dear pressed on and started us despite two chaps still being in the process of moving a larger banner out of our way...). 12 sec down on my PB from a similarly undulating and breezy race last year -- have I passed my lifetime peak yet? ;- )

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - 62 min for a 25 mile TT

HR is a name change for the imfamous weather forecaster!!!!

CW - top running mate, you better not have peaked as I want to run faster as a V40 !!!!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Wetsuits, chainsets and Flyfishing....arrrrgggh! I think I'll change my nickname to JR Hartley.

CW good run, I think. The golden years are still ahead.
  • Options

Absolutely not Charlie image. You've been on high mileage weeks, don't forget (about the same as HH's low mileage weeks, IIRC).

TR - HR is a new username for a poster well known to you. I'm going to call him Homer I think, because I think he's both
    - a sometime reader of the classics
    - prone to his share of Doh!! moments

Are you up to speed yet?

• Options

I did the Bupa 10k. It is not that good of a course. Very twisty and they was so many at that start and a barrier in the middle of the road. There was not much room and some people were tripping over each others. I did 32.48 in the race. Don't know where I came. But it is much slower than the manchester 10k and there are so many turn that is disrupts your rhyme.

times

1 3.20

2 3.02 (6.23)

3 3.16 (9.40)

4 3.14 (12.54)

5 3.30 (16.25)

6 3.18 (19.43)

7 3.22 (23.05)

8 3.18 (26.23)

9 3.34 (29.57)

9.959 2.50 (31.48)

lots of sub 3 did it as well

• Options

Marigold - Congratulations on the selection.  Can't quite believe the dark side again.  Have stuck my oar in, perhaps I would have been better off taking a putting some bait into Tmap's lake though.  Anyway, I've thought that comparatively speaking you've done better at spring than autumn marathons up until now so think you're due a big PB this time image

CW - Nice 10k

Tmap - Hard luck on the fish.  Sounds like you might be better off sticking to the running!

TR - A little late but well done at Swash

Have finally got a little bit of consistency into my running.  Feeling better for it if still horribly unfit. 40 miles last week including a couple of mildly progressive runs hopefully sets me up to start upping things to a level where I'll be happy to run a marathon again.

Given that cycling has been dominating recently I hope I can ask a quick question of the cyclists.  About 5 years ago I did a fair bit of training for a cycling event - something like 60 - 90mins 5 times a week on an exercise bike in the gym.  After a couple of months and shortly before the event that I was training for I picked up what I thought was a tendinitis at the point where my quad inserts into the upper part of the knee.  It was hot and I could feel it all the time.  I stopped cycling and the discomfort gradually went away.  The little bit of cycling that I've done recently since VLM has brought it back again.  Anyone any ideas on what it could be?  It doesn't affect me doing aerobic running but I have in the past noticed it when trying to run fast intervals.

• Options

I did the Bupa 10k. It is not that good of a course. Very twisty and they was so many at that start and a barrier in the middle of the road. There was not much room and some people were tripping over each others. I did 32.48 in the race. Don't know where I came. But it is much slower than the manchester 10k and there are so many turn that is disrupts your rhyme.

times

1 3.20

2 3.02 (6.23)

3 3.16 (9.40)

4 3.14 (12.54)

5 3.30 (16.25)

6 3.18 (19.43)

7 3.22 (23.05)

8 3.18 (26.23)

9 3.34 (29.57)

9.959 2.50 (32.48)

lots of sub 3 did it as well. I mean 32.48 not 31.48 from the post one above.

• Options
    Marigold. wrote (see)
    Anyone do the BUPA 10k?

Yup... Great race - I've never been treated so well as a 'championship runner', sharing the same facilities with the Paula and Mo types of this world.

Strange race though.  No real excuses except for an annoying breeze, but many times are well down on expectations.  I was held up at the start - about 10m back but was surprised to have to walk to the start line after the honker honked - there was no urgency from the runners ahead in getting the race underway.  First km of 3:31 was slower than in Amsterdam marathon and it was 2km before I was in clear space and able to approach target speed of 3:17 / km, though I was still 20s down by 5km.

Despite pacing it well, holding my HR where it should be, picking off place after place after place, including some runners I'd expect to be racing at current fitness, I was horrified when I found the main competition down the mall to be the dreaded 34 minute barrier - something I'd normally dismiss even in a half marathon.  It was broken, but my honest expectation was to run about a minute faster.  No idea how it went so well yet so slowly.  Still, I ran the same time in June last year and was in the 31s by August, so there's still hope.

In other news I won the Wimbledon Parkrun in a 'brave' 17:15ish with a big negative split, then got attacked by a what appeared to be a giant poodle* on my way back through the common.  It had chased me from the trails into playing fields so by the time it struck, there was no owner in sight.   The beast got its jaws around my left thigh and bit pretty hard - managed to punch it off, but it came straight back at me despite my protests.  I'm a dog fan having grown up with two and know tricks to deal with enthusiatic ones - but with no owner forthcoming, I had no option but to defend myself quite violently.  It did manage to puncture my shorts / skin but came off second best.  Never did find the owner - probably just as well given my mood.

* seriously - it was groin height on me but still had a poodle hairstyle.

Edit to add - congrats to GAWD - that put you up with some quality athletes today.  Agree with you about the lack of rhyme.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Gobi/TR/Tom - no autumn marathon planned, just fancied topping up the endurance 6 weeks after the marathon and wanted to run 20 miles.

ptb - I made a detour via the gym I work at to grab a coke there, lol I remember thinking this was all a bit easy but quite enjoyed a little bit of suffering at the end, character building!

HR - a tiny bit of me is tempted to do an autumn marathon if my Nepal trip doesn't go ahead (potential study plans) but I'm going to stick to my plan to focus on the shorter stuff and half marathon either way. Even though I got my sub 3 last October I haven't felt great in either of my last two marathons. London especially was a gritted out effort under the circumstances but my conversion to marathon result off half times/mileage and general experience is fairly piss poor in my opinion. Nothing to lose sleep over at all but a realistic assessment. I'm already benefitting from the change in focus and training and will probably look at Barcelona as my next one next March. I don't even have a target in mind, it will just be to produce a strong performance and positive result roughly in line with half time x 2 + 10-12 mins. If i can do that I'll be happy. I want to go into the next one a much better/faster runner though.

Who are/were you by the way? lol

CW/BEJ/GAWD - nice 10ks

Up the Swans!

• Options
    Boniface Earl Jones wrote (see)
    then got attacked by a what appeared to be a giant poodle* on my way back through the common.  It had chased me from the trails into playing fields so by the time it struck, there was no owner in sight.   The beast got its jaws around my left thigh and bit pretty hard - managed to punch it off, but it came straight back at me despite my protests.  I'm a dog fan having grown up with two and know tricks to deal with enthusiatic ones - but with no owner forthcoming, I had no option but to defend myself quite violently.
    As far as I am concerned, owner or no owner, a dog that attacks you is fair game and a swift kick is nothing more than they deserve. If a dog bites a kid or a old person there is outrage, are runners some sort of sub-class that deserves to be bit? Frequent cries of "he's only playing" or "watch out, he likes to chew on trainers" (one park whee I run ut in trainers and do hill sessions in spikes) do not endear me.
  • Options
    selbs, that sounds like a really good controlled marathon from you only a few months after breaking yourself.

CharlieW - no you haven't. And well done, nice position.

BEJ - that sounds horrible about the dog. Exactly what I dread.

72 miles for me last week, then the BUPA 10k today. I trailed in a long way behind BEJ and GAWD, well done both of you. Everybody I spoke to afterwards was slower than they were hoping. I got a PB with 35.12 but thought that sub 35 was on the cards. As with the London Marathon I spent a lot of the race trying to make sense of what my watch was telling me at the markers. According to the km markers and my watch my splits were 3.32, 3.28, 3.28, I missed the 4km marker, then 5km clock time 17.45 (watch time 17.44) which doesn't make sense anyway having taken at least 10 secs to cross the start line but also no way had I slowed by 10 secs/km for kms 4 and 5. Overtook a lot of people between 5k and 10k anyway. Even though I missed my target I'm happy, on a different day I now believe I can run well under 35 minutes.

As GAWD says it was a twisty course. Astonished that laps of that is the best they can come up with for an Olympic marathon course in this wonderful city.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Formidably run in the big boys' league, GAWD and BEJ -- I recall the hockey players at uni dismissed lower-quality competion as "a bit village", and I was in all senses competing in a village event compared to you chaps today. Mine might have had some hills but at least I got a clear run... maybe these mass participation events don't work so well for short distances.

... and well evaded on the dog front BEJ, sounds scary (aren't poodles hunting dogs originally, despite the humorous topiary?). I was pursued on my bike once by two aggressive unattended greyhound-shaped things close to the local criminal's trailer-park, but fortunately they gave up (probably got bored). I tried reporting the imminent threat on the towpath to the local police, imagining the hell they might inflict on the next family group to go that way, and was rung back about 2 days later to confirm which side of the river I was talking about... hopeless.

Clearly -- obviously the sensible thing to do is ask your doctor. But hey, I've got a lot out of internet self-diagnosis... the answer to tendon things in general seems to be eccentric exercises to strengthen the offending bit, and to get it to replace temporary scar tissue with a permanent repair.

X-post: well PB'd FR, definitely sounds like a tough event to get a fast time on so you did well to set a new best.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi/PtB - oh I see so HR is RWH ! name changes always confuse me, TT is till TT to me.

CW - a decent marker there

Gobi - are you pleased with 62 ?

BEj - onwards and upwards then

FR - nice one on the PB, less clocking watching and more beans next time.

Clearly - could be a saddle height thing, try the saddle a bit lower down.

Hope weather picks up, the next 2 days are big cricket days in the New Forest. 50M is a long way to travel for a rained off game - or a golden duck !

• Options
    A massive snigger from me when RS posted "up the swans" shortly after the post by BEJ. It was not so long back that BEJ told us about being attacked not by a giant poodle, but by a very nasty swan on the Regents canal who he tried to strangle.
    One of the funniest stories posted on here and well worth posting again if he's got the time. Don't forget to massively increase the size of the swan when you tell the story for the second time.

I had a square up against an aggressive boxer dog (it was at least 6ft tall) today, the owners thought it was all very funny, but next time I might go on the attack as a suicide mission to take out some of the pain in the ass pets who on a daily basis make our running lives a misery.

Dull
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Not been on here for a fair while  as I have been really struggling to recover and get my head back into training from Boston. Have had a few good sessions and have really enjoyed some of my running over the last 6 weeks, but have also had lots of runs with concrete filled legs (not enjoyable) and loads of motivational issues as soon as running starts to feel like training. But think I am getting there now image

Congrats to Marigold

Excellent to see Selbs knocking out  a decent marathon in Stockholm

Excellent work from those that did the Swash the other week, even if I am somewhat clueless about 2/3 of it image

Very late, but impressive performances by those that ran Edinburgh in what sounds horrible conditions

Well done to those that ran the BUPA 10k today, I was going to stay and watch, but decided to head home instead as I had already been up 6.5 hours, ran a marathon and still had an hour to wait for the 10k start at 11am image

Anyway, ran the Olympic test event this morning, which gave me the kick to come back and say hello to you all. Was excellent to catch up with Coro (and meet his nutter ultra running training partner) and meet RaceJase. I started to question the wisdom of volunteering for this event when I was sat at breakfast at 4 this morning after a 3.30 alarm, on a bank holiday Monday! Passing Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square before 5, seeing them mobbed with people heading home from a night out really tested my sanity. The actual run felt more of a fartlek session than anything else. We were told to run at 3 hour pace, but it was more a case of the speed gradually increasing as people fell into a rhythm until someone reined us back in to keep to schedule. And repeat, once or twice a mile for the entire distance. Still nice to see lots of sights of London (including Houses of Parliament & Buck Palace which I have yet to get a decent look at during my 5 London marathons) at an uncrowded hour. Final score was 2.58.40, despite yo-yo pacing.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Excellent 10k's from CW (nice 1st V40), BEJ, FR & GAWD.  Good effort from Gobi too, glad to see he still has an eye for a romantic dining venue. image.  Nice cycling too fella.

Decent 20 RS.  Glad that you explained where the coke came from, I thought you might have nicked it from a small child. image

Selbs.. cracking run in Stockholm considering you have spent the last few weeks gambling, drinking & on crutches! 

Padams.. great position in the half IM after all the technical problems.

Jools.. good to see you upping the distance & on the road to recovery.

Congrats to Marigold on another national vest.

Sorry to hear about the man versus beast encounters.

Still only pedalling to report as I continue my patient recuperation.  45 miles on the bike today with about 27 of those in the rain.  Trying to fix a puncture with a faulty tube around half way wasn't funny.  Fortunately I always carry two.  

X post JAP, nice early training run!

• Options

Well done GAWD, BEJ and FR.  Paula wasn't too happy with her run either so you're in good company.

TR - I'll give it a try when I next get back on the bike but I'd be surprised if it's saddle height although that may have been part of the original cause.

CW - My doctor suggested tendinitis at the time and leave it alone for a while.  I would go to my physio but she's not likely to be available for the next 4 - 6 weeks.  It's annoying but I can't say that it's stopping me running so I guess I'll probably just wait.

BEJ - Standard poodles are big dogs.  My wifes dog is a golden doodle which is a cross between a poodle and a golden retriever and it's about the height you describe albeit quite slight (though you can't see that beneath all the hair).  Very bright but a bit of a nutter when she got him first.  She got him under control pretty quickly though and I now take him on some of my runs where I can trust him to come back when I call him.  The only issue he has is with cyclists who are moving quickly, close to him and surprise him (and me). In an apparent attempt to get out of the way he inevitably gets in the way.

I'm with PMJ on dogs who attack deserving whatever they get.  Owners have a responsibility to control their dogs and if they can't they shouldn't have them off the lead.  I love dogs but I get nervous when some yappy little thing starts chasing my heels because I don't know and dogs (especially small ones) do playfully bite.  Most owners are at least embarrassed when they chase you and try to call their dogs back.  I have encouraged a couple of dogs to run with me when their owners have made no effort which can be funny (they're usually pretty overweight and could do with the exercise necessary to retrieve the dog anyway).

All that said I'd be very careful of taking on a dog that genuinely wants to fight you.  Most dogs do want to play and because they have been poorly trained don't know how to do it appropriately.  A dog that really wants to fight may well have been trained/encouraged and if that's the case then they won't back down possibly until they're dead or at least unable to move.

• Options
    Clearly wrote (see)

I'm with PMJ on dogs who attack deserving whatever they get.  Owners have a responsibility to control their dogs and if they can't they shouldn't have them off the lead.  I love dogs but I get nervous when some yappy little thing starts chasing my heels because I don't know and dogs (especially small ones) do playfully bite.  Most owners are at least embarrassed when they chase you and try to call their dogs back.  I have encouraged a couple of dogs to run with me when their owners have made no effort which can be funny (they're usually pretty overweight and could do with the exercise necessary to retrieve the dog anyway).

All that said I'd be very careful of taking on a dog that genuinely wants to fight you.  Most dogs do want to play and because they have been poorly trained don't know how to do it appropriately.  A dog that really wants to fight may well have been trained/encouraged and if that's the case then they won't back down possibly until they're dead or at least unable to move.

Clearly, you echo a lot of my thoughts. I also admit to the guilty pleasure of running on with dogs in tow, though the worst time I did this was unintentional when running up a narrow path and a dog was running ahead. It was only after we finished our loop and ran down that we discovered the owner at the bottom and hunting for the dog and we pointed out where he was.

Haven't found a dog yet who wanted to fight, normally as you say it is play and anyhting that isn't play sends them away quickly.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Humph. A sporting day to forget for me!

Started with BUPA 10k. Garmin went mental and I got an overall course measurement of 10.75k (yeah, right) and scores on the doors 41.30 or so... So, yes, about a minute down on what I would expect. I'm happy to blame: the heat, the wind, the fact I've done no speedwork in between Bristol 10k and now, the man flu in between Bristol 10k and now and the wine I drank last night.

And then to Wembley. Let's just say my beloved Reading came second and apart from a deliriously happy 15 minutes at the start of the second half, an afternoon to forget, as another season of Championship footie beckons.

Well done to BEJ, Charlie, GAWD and anyone else I've missed in my mildly inebriated self-pitying state :¬p
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jools - you can't play for 10 minutes in each half and expect to win.

Dogs - I am a former dog owner and so have more tolerance than most but some people just have no control and probably shouldn't own a dog.

10.5 miles run at 7.xx having gone out at me O'clock. Just keeping on keeping on really.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

not a bad run Jools considering all the excuses (reasons in fact..) sorry about the footy.  Well done to the other 10,000 runners.  CW- that's a nice 10km time - i'd love anything near that -long way to go for me with a PB still of 36 flat. no way have you reached your lifetime peak!! 

Thanks for all the comments on the marafun folks.  I seem to have judged it OK in that i haven't been too sore, no hobbling up or down stairs etc... today's test jog will tell me a bit more i guess as i haven't run yet, but looking promising. 

Forgot to mention - i had to take another pit stop in Stockholm - in Abingdon it was in a ditch for CRAB style alfresco - in Stockholm, around same point of the race (halfwayish), it was in a handy portaloo, but only a standing stop!  but i need to sort out my pit stop issues if i want to race for a sub 2:40 as i don't think i will be able to afford even a lost minute to get that.  RWH - what CW said re my PB - it was at Abingdon in 2:44ish and no i wouldn't have beaten him regardless!! My big A goal this year is Amsterdam, and a sub 2:40.  in between times i'd hope to sort out my soft 10km time, adn hopefully get a good half in.

• Options

TR - precautionary security issues (see posts a few days back) so no more of the old please! By the way, re the trout comment are you a vegetarian then?

BEJ - crikey that big poodle is nasty. I've had a few dog incidents lately and don't enjoy them. Well done on the 5k win, and relative commiserations on the 10k BUPA which still, as you say, fits last year's pattern.

Tmap - assuming it was a big brownie some of these lakes have these old wise fish that seem to do that regularly. I used to fish a place where there was a notorious giant one that was nigh-impossible for anyone to land. Local wisdom said that they could spit the hooks back out, although I guess if they're never caught one doesn't know.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Gobi - probably didn't put it well; the short spell of decent play made the trip worthwhile, especially as we were behind the Reading goal when they scored image
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Times at London 10k look slow at the front for Farah and co. Just tactics or course? Well done to the others, Joolska, GAWD, BEJ and FR.

BEJ - Made me laugh when you said you punched the dog. It's a shame because it's not the dogs fault but the stupid owner. I got knocked over a year ago by a dog and I still have pain in my thumb from the fall. Have also been bitten by a dog which drew blood.

Selbs - Did you try Immodium? Luckily TR gave me some at London and I had no issues.

JAP - Sounds like an early morning Sub 3. Any spectators out that early? Good to see your getting back to it.

Nice 10k Charlie and a good bounce back after your 5000m race.

Anyone doing Yateley tomorrow night?

Haven't heard from Tipp Topp for a while.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Hey JH1 - i did actually try some immodium for the first time just as a test in Stockholm (and no problems - but i only seem to suffer from "that end" when i am pushing the pace harder).  but this time it wasn't that that was the problem, i guess i was over hydrated, and felt like a p*ss right from the off (even though i went for one as u do just before...) and assumed it would go away as it normally does... but it just didn't and eventually i decided to stop for one.  all god practice about learning the right balance i guess for the A race anyway, and if that happens again, i think i will just pull to the side of the road as many others did and go earlier in the race rather tha carrygin around the extra weight !!