Garmin 305

So, yesterday I was bitten by a dog whilst running, and I've been trying to work out why a dog would take it upon itself to chase me over a km and then bite me before running off.

Anyway, at the time I think my pace alert on my Garmin was going off, I was at the end of a long hungover run and struggling for speed a little. So my questions are,

1. Can I change the noise it makes?I've looked through the menus and can't see how. My search online tells me how to change the zones for slow/high pace, just not the noise.

and

2. Am I being paranoid thinking the noise could have set the dog off?anyone else had a  similar experience?

Cheers

Comments

• 1) The only option for audible alerts in on or off.  There is no volume option

2) I may be wrong because I don't have much experience with dogs, but I would not have thought it would have affected a dog.  I have rung with a variety of garmins and none have ever had this effect.  I thought dogs hearing was on another wavelength to ours and therefore they hear noises at a different level to us, hence why they can hear a dog whistle.  I may be wrong though

• Kick the little f*cker. It will think twice before messing with you next time.
  • It may depend on the type of dog.  If it was a terrier or collie type, their working instinct is to chase anything that moves.  Hence why they chase bikes, cars, people etc..  Once they start to go after you, the chase is on!  If it's really up for a fight, the best thing to do is to jump over a fence or wall that it can't get over.  Not easy with a biggish dog....or if you're in the middle of nowhere.  If that's the case, stop running and turn sideways on to the dog.  Drop your shoulders, let your body go limp, stay quiet and walk slowly away.  NEVER try to stare a dog out or use threatening body language with a dog in fight mode.  If a dog is standing barking at you, stay quiet.  Any noise you make will worsen the situation.  In the worst case, if a dog is really attacking you and has you on the ground, curl up in a ball, protecting your face and 'play dead'.  Without provocation, a dog will not stay in fight mode for long. 

Dogs in true fight mode are scary.  I know.  I've dealt with many dog fights (from German Shepherds to Jack Russels) and have scarred dogs and vets bills to prove it.  If you're going to put yourself in a situation where there's a chance of being out of control, make sure you know what to do.  The same is true for horses, bulls, geese etc., as well as dogs.  Different animals need different responses.

If this dog was in fight mode, the noise from your garmin could indeed have made things worse.  It's worth bearing in mind.  I do hope you're ok and that it hasn't put you off running.

• Run back to its owner and punch them out for not having it under control. Just saying....
  • RedM wrote (see)
    Run back to its owner and punch them out for not having it under control. Just saying....

Wish I'd thought of that, rather than a bit of a cowardly yelp from me and limping off into the distance, I could of turned uttered a far more fearsome shout and chased the dog back to its owners.

Polly-Polly wrote (see)

It may depend on the type of dog.

If this dog was in fight mode, the noise from your garmin could indeed have made things worse.  It's worth bearing in mind.  I do hope you're ok and that it hasn't put you off running.

Yup, it was a collie, guessing it was in chasing/herding mode as soon as it spotted me. Didn't put me off running made sure I went out a day or so later, have to say though I was in the same field yesterday, as soon as my Garmin made any noise I had to stop, turn off all sounds and carry on before I could properly relax and run normally
  • Glad to hear you're still running  image 

Collies often 'nip' as part of their nature.  The working instinct in them makes them nip sheep who won't move.  In a well trained dog, this will have been trained out of them but a badly trained or untrained dog will still retain a nipping instinct.  A responsible shepherd/ess will not tolerate a nipping dog.

• After years of running, always walking past dogs off the lead, I was bitten last Thursday as I ran up my own drive - by my neighbours german shepherd. No bark - just ran behind me and grabbed the back of my thigh - quite a surprise. Nasty wound, 5 hours in A&E, tetanus jab, antibiotics, further trip to GP on Friday because the dressing came off, and another visit tomorrow to check the wound. Ripped running trousers to boot. Neighbour says it was because I was running! (His wife is a runner as well!) I've reported it to the police, so he will be getting a lecture. No garmin - I think dogs will often go for people who are running.
  • EmptyDee wrote (see)
    No garmin - I think dogs will often go for people who are running.
    Well, since a German Shepherd is a shepherding / herding dog, it's not a surprise!  As I said, working dogs (and, indeed, other dogs) will chase.  In the OP's case I said the Garmin could well have made things worse, not that it was the single cause.
  • Just in case people were considering buying one of these, amazon.co.uk currently have them for £95, which is the cheapest I've seen them for in the three months that I've been looking at getting one.
  • Yeah I'm not convinced it was the Garmin, although I doubt it helped matters.

Polly-Polly wrote (see)
    EmptyDee wrote (see)
    No garmin - I think dogs will often go for people who are running.
    Well, since a German Shepherd is a shepherding / herding dog, it's not a surprise!  As I said, working dogs (and, indeed, other dogs) will chase.  In the OP's case I said the Garmin could well have made things worse, not that it was the single cause.

Herding dogs will herd, I think its just a case of training the dog so it doesn't when it shouldn't, and it's easily called off if needs be 

• That's the problem.  So many peple have untrained dogs.  It drives me mad!!!