Compression bandages - during, or after run?

I've done something to my knee (aching point is a small area that I can best describe as near the knee cap, but on the side of the other leg).  Putting one of those compression tube/bandage things on for a few hours after running stops it from aching.  Should I also wear it while running?

Comments

• I would suggest running while wearing it to see how it feels. However, the compression bandage is probably masking the problem.

If the pain is on the ouside of the knee it may be runners knee and you will need to work on your ITB and glute area.

• I would advise use it from when you start running to the evening of that run. Not overnight

That's how I use compression socks, unless I have a major strain, then I will use it as a treatment for the injury.

• I use a compression wrap around my calf. Was diagnosed with shinsplints in March/April after many (3!) years of pain and found the compression wrap helped a little bit (but got a proper diagnosis today turns out its a stress fracture according to bone scan!) Could be why it didn't show any rehab. qualities for me (compression in the face of stomping on a treadmill is nothing!)

I found the compression helped my peice of mind either way and do prefer to wear compression. They are designed to be worn when exercising (hence the styles, fabrics and etc) but you can also wear them after exercise. However it is best not to wear them at night as this is when the body likes to recover: hormones to recover plus rest plus having your legs/body on a level plain as oppose to upright (helps blood flow) all help recovery.

I found this out the hard way when I sprained my ankle this time last year and wore a compression bandage to bed: woke up 3 hours later, toes were blue (having been fine in the bandage for hours prior to going to bed) and foot ached like hell! Basicly the blood was unable to circulate and my foot was unable to recover. Not a nice thing to wake up to at 4.30am I can tell you!

Compression is there to help prevent swelling, ibuprofen and freeze gels are also another option to try. The time when your exercising is most likely to be when any swelling starts if you do get any. Shortly following exercise the area in question may remain swollen for some time after, just how long after really depends on your body and its own rate of recovery, your age, how bad any swelling is and if there is an injury or not. Play it by ear and keep tabs on whats happening.

• catsfathercatsfather ✭✭✭

I Googled Runner's Knee ... yeah, that sounds like it.  There were a few odd exercises suggested to help, so I'll give them a try.

I'm planning a six mile run tomorrow, so I'll try wearing the bandage and see how it feels.

Thanks for the warning about overnight use.  It is actually something I might've considered, but certainly won't now!

Thank you.