Swim lap counters

I need to get a lap counter for the pool; now I'm swimming further I keep loosing count of where I am during the swim.  Although I err on the side of less lengths when I loose count so I am probably doing more than I think I am, it would be nice to know how many I'm doing. 

I don't have the money for anything fancy, and I've found these two, but could do with some opinions as to whether they are any good.  I don't care about what speed I'm doing (got a watch for that image) or strokes per length or anything else, I just want something that will tell me how far I've swum.

Found this one on Amazon for £10.50, but the reviews are mixed and I'm not sure it will be any good.

I also found this one on ebay, which looks much better, although at £17.00 is at the top of my price range.

Any one got either of these, or anything else they can recommend that is under £20?

Comments

• I use the ones on here www.activeplanet.co.uk

• TST - the one on ebay is the one Ultra Ironwolf recommended to me back at the start of my IM training and it has been great.

There is also an underwater MP3 player that counts your laps for you but that is nearer £65..made by speedo

• The only downside to it is that it really is that small that i always mis-place it.
  • M...eldy - think those are the same as the ebay ones, just a little more expensive on there.

Thanks FF, good to know someone else has used one and it's been good.  I shall sit on the ones that are up there and see what I can pick up image

• TST - I am with Melds on Active Planet.  I have the sportcount combination and have no issues with it.

I note the one on ebay has not got any bids and has £3 p&p.  So it's £20 minimum.  It is the top of the range model tho.

The most basic one on Active Planet is £23 + £3 p&p, but i see it does come with a 1 year warranty.  I can't see any mention of this in the ebay ad.

I shall leave that with you image

• Flat Footed wrote (see)
    The only downside to it is that it really is that small that i always mis-place it.
    This is about swim counters you know .......     image
  • If you are swim training properly, you only need to count to 16-20 lengths, dont waste your money, get used to using the lap clock at the pool.
  • I have the eBay one and love it. Spent 1 0 years as a competitive swimmer as a kid doing about 5k a day and luckily had a coach to keep me straight. 20 years later when I started swimming again and my programmes were all over the place because I didn't have the concentration to count lengths. The lap counter keeps me honest with myself.
  • Doozer. wrote (see)
    If you are swim training properly, you only need to count to 16-20 lengths, dont waste your money, get used to using the lap clock at the pool.
    I probably don't do what you would call 'proper' training Doozer; I get in, I swim up and down for the required amount of lengths and I get out again! image  It's taken me more than six months to learn to swim crawl again and be able to do a reasonable amount of lengths without dying.  I don't understand all these programmes with swim X at this pace, swim Y at that pace etc, so I don't use them.  My only priority this year is to be able to the 1900m I need to do for the Vit in a reasonable time and so far the way I am training has enabled me to get pretty much to the distance and I am slowly getting quicker.  I'd just like to know that I am swimming the right amount of lengths and rather than counting my way up and down the pool image
    Pugsley wrote (see)
    I have the eBay one and love it. Spent 1 0 years as a competitive swimmer as a kid doing about 5k a day and luckily had a coach to keep me straight. 20 years later when I started swimming again and my programmes were all over the place because I didn't have the concentration to count lengths. The lap counter keeps me honest with myself.
    Good, another vote for that one, so I'm going for it!  I think the lap counter will keep me honest with myself too, and I can then concentrate on my technique when I'm swimming rather than counting! image