Rome or Paris

Which one would you run and why? I am going to do one, just don't know which. Is one harder, is one more scenic?

Please let me know your thoughts!image

Comments

• i've only done Rome of the two so I can't compare them for you. However, some pointers re Rome

•  you won't regret it if you do it - I'm sure I'll do it again at some point
    • the course takes in a lot of the tourist attractions and includes a few 'wow' moments
    • twists, turns, some cobbles and inclines might affect your time (a little)
    • very friendly and well supported by foreign contingent
    • registration is a painful process
    • the field is relatively small (12,000?) so no problem getting to the right pace after the first mile or so
  • And I've only ever done Paris so I can't compare either....

But some points from me about Paris:

- I only ever got newsletters in French. I couldnt find an option for English or it didnt exist therefore I found it rather pointless considering I don't speak the language image

- I found that the weather was really hot, and I struggled due to that.

- Getting around in Paris and to the start line was very easy

- Atmosphere was great and support was plenty

- Sights were amazing, I had to stop to take couple of photos

- Getting the medical certificate was a pain in the arse, and they were being pretty strict by the format of it... But I ended up writing it myself and they just stamped it without looking too much into it

- Safety pins are expensive and hard to find in Paris so DONT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR OWN!

I'm tempted to try Rome next year.
  • Sorry for not coming back to you guys quicker - brilliant sumaries both - thak you so much!!image
  • Hi Mark

I've done both in the last couple of years - Rome in 2010 (3:11) and Paris in 2009 (3:13).

I think Rome is a slightly tougher course due to the cobbles in the last 5 miles. Found them very hard on the knees in racing flats.
    Paris was hotter when I did it as it is later in the spring and is the bigger race so depending on how quick you are you might have more company on the wide roads (friends that did it last year and ran around 4 hours complained about the aid stations being very busy).
    I found the Rome website less user friendly when you had to upload you required paperwork and the queue at the expo was longer too but neither were that painful.
    In terms of sights 'en route' I think Rome just about has it with the start/finish at the Colosseum.
    The finisher's medal from Rome was nicer too, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
  • Goldstar - thanks, I reckon it's going to be Rome ... or maybe Paris! Plenty of time to decide!!