Male Vets Over 40 Discussion

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun sawney bean

An easyish parkrun for me 21:26 was meant to be slower as had Otmoor 1/2 in the afternoon.... 1:35:50 for  a very hot multi terrian race.... not flat out, but then couldn't have done so anyway with the heat....

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Good effort there, a very reasonable 5K followed by a HM on the same day. Wow I bet you slept well last night.

• when is everybody's next race, mine is Thursday, 5.9 miles
  • Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Hi Sawney, good run yesterday..... Next race?????? Helping a lady in distress (never again) last saturday by changing her wheel, hence ripped back spent four days in bed, and its still not right....

Would like to do Yeovil 5k on wednesday, but if not right then not going to waste my money..... The club also have a 5k time trial on wednesday, so may be that'll be it.......

• Hoy half marathon next weekend. Hoy is one of the smaller Orkney islands and the field is limited to about 100 by ferry capacity. It's a tough course with some serious climbs and the wind is likely to be blowing hard. There are always a few very good runners in the field but I'll be hoping not to be too far behind the leaders.

Following week I'm guaranteeing a PB, 2 races on the calendar of 5.2 and 10 miles and I've not raced either distance before image.

One of my friends regularly travels down from Inverness for the Blaydon Race sawney, sounds like quite an event.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Good speed on the park run Sawney Bean. 

Not entered any races until injuries clear up.  in fact I'm struggling to run two days in a row.

Only 25 miles last week and about 55 (hilly) miles on my bashed up old moutain bike.

I've ordered a road bike through a cycle scheme, which I should have by next week. looking forward to doing a few miles on it to keep fitness up.

• lads did 33.51 by my watch, damned windy and in your face for most of the race, typical North East weather. Splits were 5.21 5.36 5.39 5.52 5.43 5.36. 6 Miles by my watch, 5.37 average which was what I aimed for, bit disappointed by mile 4 but there was a few rises and twists.
    improved time by 31 secs from 2009
    Well done mate...... Three things need to come together for the "perfect race"..... 1, to be free from injury.... 2, to be in peak condition....... and 3, ideal weather...... and 80% of the time its the third one that fucks everyone up!!! Again, well done.....
  • I find at age 45 all 3 can be trouble...

But here in the far north the wind is always screwing things up. Weather OK in Hoy so far though.

• There used to be a facility to privately message people on here, can it still be done. Bluenose was wanting to seek your advice mate
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Sawney - dont think it works anymore, I have had some issues with messaging.... using Fetcheveryone work well with messaging though.

Steady Parkrun yesterday in 19:40 and 13m today in 1:50 in the rain.....

Take care

Hi Sawney.... The only system i'm aware of, is if you click on "my inbox"  then "compose message", then you can send a message direct to anyone in person...... 
  • doing middlesbrough 5k parkrun tomorrow, no wind forecast and its a measured power of 10 accepted course, going to go for it
    well done mate... Trainning's going in right direction
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Sawney - thats a tasty 5k time well done

19:26 for me today same as last week, consistancy at least.....

• thanks RFJ, now plotting 16.40, 10 x 400's on the track with 1 min recovery today
  • Hi guys. Only read the first and last few pages due to depression rapidly setting in! Started running fairly seriously about 18 months ago (I'm just 42) after a longish layoff (20 years). In the meanwhile my weight has gone from 70k to 95kg. So I'm a slow, injury prone, over-pronator.

My goal is a 45 minute 10k (current PB just under an hour). Don't fancy anything much longer due to the amount miles required each week... and the complaints of the other half.

Doing quite a few races (Tees Barrage 10k, Rabey Castle 10k, Coniston Mini Marathon, Darlington 10k and the odd parkrun) but not sure this is the right strategy. Maybe I should concentrate on the miles to get the weight off and increase the fitness as the races seem to break the rhythm somewhat.

Thoughts and support welcome.

Matt

Hi Matt.... Welcome...... got some of the same problems as yourself, ie. coming back from long lay off, increased weight, very injury prone and my partner being opinionated...... And a couple of things I've learn't (through a lot of stress) recently is,Take nothing for granted, Listen to your body, and Set some acheiveable targets....

Not to sure about trying to race yourself to a 45min 10k, dont think you can beat a structured training programme, which could help with the weight issue, but does require you to become injury free......

So Matt, I would say sort your over-pronator problem out, Reset your goal to more achieveable target, and pick a training programme to help achieve it.....

Good Luck mate

• I'd agree. Race to have fun and hopefully see improvement but don't overstretch (or limit) yourself with too many targets. Get a structured plan based on the time you are allowed to give over to running (image) and minimize the injury risk by losing weight, getting the right shoes, running on forgiving surfaces and as Bluenose says, LISTENING TO YOUR BODY. Then the times should look after themselves.

The guys I train with are all 39-45 and all have better running pedigrees than me. But I've had a much better racing season by staying pretty much injury and illness free and therefore being able to train on my terms and in a consistent way. And that helps keep the weight in check too.

Good luck and have fun!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good Sam wrote (see)

Hi guys. Only read the first and last few pages due to depression rapidly setting in! Started running fairly seriously about 18 months ago (I'm just 42) after a longish layoff (20 years). In the meanwhile my weight has gone from 70k to 95kg. So I'm a slow, injury prone, over-pronator. 

Matt, sounds familiar!  I re-started running at age 42 after 22 years. Like you, I had moved up in weight over those decades (from 73 Kg to 92 Kg). I improved quickly enough and lost weight but I made a few mistakes along the way and it was tough going t times. The simplest strategy is to lose the weight while gradually building up slow mileage . Once you have a decent weekly mileage and a decent weight, you can concentrate on getting faster with much less injury concerns. I'm 45 now by the way ...78 Kg and managed a sub-40 10K before Xmas.

• I do about 25km a week at the moment and am following the Long run, Easy run, Tempo or Hills training routine. I think I have the shoes nailed now (Brook Adreneline, Mizuno Wave Inspire and UK Gear PT1000 for trails) and currently don't have too many injury worries.

I love races and am not in a massive huury to get to a sub 45 min 10k (sometime in the next 3 years would be ok) it's just that I'm seeing no improvement at all at the moment. Did the Lakeland Trails Mini Marathon (16k) which was very tough and found even walking up the (admittedly v steep) hills my HR was in the high 170s when my max is about 185.

Maybe I'll enjoy the rest of the planned races and knuckle down during the winter.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Sam , training takes time, and platues occour every now and then, it will all come together if you stick at it.

Mara trg well under way for me and some good hard sessions and easier ones as weel are being done, starting to feel a bit tired, but also starting to feel stronger....

Take care

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thought I would bounce this to the top,

Trg going well at present in the 50-60 mpw with speed and distance as well.

Pewsey Half next week and will be going for PB

• Hi RJF.... hope the weathers kind to you..... At the moment its either heavy downpours, gale force wind or baking hot conditions, they dont seem to be any in-between.....

Got to be happy at where my training is at the moment, when I get a good couple of weeks in the improvement in times is very surprising, but then I'll lose a couple of days due to niggles, which is normal..... But, I've just lost the last two weeks due to a bout of shingles, which apparantly hits 50+ year olds who over train... FANTASTIC..... (think I better point out that you had to have chickhen pox as a child to be able to get shingles.... )

Good luck next week, What time you going for?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Bluenose - Sub 1:26 all being well....

Doest boed well for me then, had chickpox, training well and in heavy milage and nicely stressed with work too..... but I do have 7 years to get to 50+ so thats one plus.

Hope you are recovering well

• Good luck with that.... Used to travel through Pewsey on the way to Tidworth, so I can imagine it could be a hard one.......
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Its not too bad and is my PB course as well....

Tidworth - gives you away...... I was in for 24 years.... closest I got to Tidworth was Ludgershall / Andover (which is where I now reside)....