Staying Healthy

Comments

• Good luck Cath, fingers crossed.
  • Well, it's 09:50 - didn't sleep a wink last night, mainly because it was so warm and sticky here.

Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes Guys, I really appreciate them. I'll let you all know how I get on.
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Good luck Cath...thinking of you.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Logged on a bit late this morning, and probably missed you before you went off, but good luck anyway - we're all thinking about you.
  • Cath, I hope everything is ok.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Good luck Cath

Susie
  • I've just realised its Wednesday and not Tuesday after all - sorry to miss you, but am thinking of you.

Good luck.

Amanda
  • just found this discussion - hope it all goes well Cath!
  • Just logged on since Sat ..so I'm a wee bit late .... Good luck Cath.. hope it goes your way ...
    Daisy
  • Cath- from all the postings of yours that I have read one thing shines through and that is your totally positive character and nature.
    I really hope that today went well. Please let us all know how you got on.

All the best,
    NR
  • Guys, I'm afraid I haven't had a great day. The biopsy result was positive for malignant cancerous cells. They aren't sure what type of cancer it is. I have to have the lymph gland (that's what the lump is) removed and more tests. Thanks for thinking of me. I'm okay... a bit shell shocked maybe but the way I see it (as the surgeon explained) it should be very treatable - it could be a breast primary or a lymphoma and it isn't a secondary tumour from elsewhere - so at least the outlook is good ... even if it will take a bit of work getting there!

I'll be in hospital next week Monday-Thursday and thereafter not sure what will happen re: radiotherapy/chemo.

For those of you wondering, hopefully I'll do the Corporate Cup next weekend - even if I walk it :)

Thanks you guys for being here and thinking of me, I really really appreciate it.
  • Oh Cath, I am sooooo sorry. I really don't know what else to say. I want to write more but was just logging on quickly before going out for a run. I hope you have lots of real life support too there for you now.
  • Dear Cath,
    I'm so sorry to hear your news, but it is so good that you are receiving prompt treatment. You seem to be a very positive thinker, which I'm sure will help no end.

Most of all, keep running! And have a great race next weekend.

Take care,
    Hild
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Cath, I'm really really sorry to hear that it wasn't as good as you'd (and we'd) hoped it would be. I don't know what else to say without sounding trite, but we are all there with you. We're thinking of you.

RR
  • Thanks Guys. I do have lots of support I've had to beat people off today and pack the Mr back off to work and the phone hasn't stopped all day. It's just such a huge shock, I mean I'm only 32 for goodness sake! That's what is so shocking. As for whether and how I'll (I should say we) cope with it - well that's not even a consideration. You deal with it. Period. Hopefully I'll be able to run next weekend but I doubt it (I'm having surgery on Monday) so I'll walk instead but more than a lump will have to stop me going to that race :)
  • Cath,have only just found this thread.all my thoughts go out to you.Last year my mother found a lump,which was malignant.it was half a centimetre,they removed it.there were no more problems.as you can imagine it was a very stressfull time for her and also for the rest of the family.It was because of the stress,that i took up running,my aims were to think about things when i was running and to raise money for charity.this coming sunday i am running the cardiff marathon for breakthrough breast cancer,I have raised £500 so far.Recently i had a scare myself when i found a lump on my testicle,My first thought was oh my god its cancer,then i thoght if it is cancer,be positive,fight,dont let it upset the rest of your life,be strong,get out there and run.I think it was because of running that i had these positive thoughts.It was not cancer,but my life now is spent raising money,and giving money to cancer charities.Please let me know how u get on,good luck,be strong,fight it,be positive.
    with love
    andrew h
  • Andrew - thanks your post helped alot!! I am positive - but also in shock still I think. I don't think it's sunk in properly. I fully intend to fight it and there's no way any "illness" is going to overtake my life. I told my boss on the phone this evening that she should expect to see me in work as much as possible!! She said she'll support me whatever I want to do. So really it's just a case of finding out what the heck it is and getting on with the treatment :)
  • Hi Cath,
    So sorry to hear your news, but I'm really glad you've got plenty of 'real life' support to help you through this. As you say, it's difficult to plan how to cope with this kind of thing. You seem to be very positive which will make a great difference I'm sure. Please let us know how you get on.We'll be thinking of you.
  • Keep positive Cath - you've got lots of support on this forum. I'm sure the outlook will be very good - I have a friend who has successfully beaten lymphoma, and he had it at the age of 28.
    all the best
    Andrea
  • I don't have anything more to add to everybody's best wishes except my own Cath. Let us know how you get on - thinking of you,
    Jeanette
  • Dear Cath,
    Well, damn! I am so sorry to read of your news. A large learning and coping curve lies ahead, but if there is one thing this forum has shown, it is that you are a person of very special qualities, and you will bring that grace to what lies ahead.

You are right: dealing with malignancy at 32 is horrendously unfair, but your youth and physical strength will be your allies in the coming months, as will your intelligence and spirit, and the presence of real and 'virtual' supportive friends.

I was 27 when I was diagnosed with a leukaemic illness with a five year survival rate. I'm now 38. I'm not cured (not a curable illness), but am kept in equilibrium through medication, and a weirdly pragmatic outlook about the strange cells that need to use my bone marrow as a hotel. For all intents and purposes, I live normally, from my work life (which is intense for an academic, as you would know) to running a marathon. The drug therapy has its ups and downs, but can be endured, like so much that is difficult in life. One learns tactics, ways to outwit certain of the side effects. It has been a long journey, but I've learned so much.

From what you wrote, your doctor seems hopeful about a good outcome with your treatment, whatever that is going to be. I know that all of us are with you in fervently hoping for just that.

Take care, Cath.

DC
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Cath,

Really sorry to hear the news. It's never easy to have someone confirm the very thing you were dreading. I originally started running to raise money for Cancer Research because my life has been touched so many times by cancer that I felt I needed to do something to help.

A few years ago one of my staff found a similar lump and had to undergo therapy. She, like you, had a very positive attitude and worked really hard to beat it. I don't know if it's of any help for you to try but she would visualise the tumour and 'shrink' it with her mind. She also found meditation helped keep her calm as it was a very stressful time.

Please try to keep positive and definitely keep up the fitness routine as it will give you the strength to fight.

Take care.

Susie

• Dear Cath,

You are a wonderful person! I've just read all through this thread. The fact that you took the time out to respond to my problems on a much less significant matter when you had all this to worry about shows what a great person you are. I'm sure that you'll get through this and come out the other side of it. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.
  • Cath

I add support to all that already mentioned. Hope you keep on the forums through this difficult time - we all enjoy your banter.
  • Cath, Really sorry to hear your news. It is never easy dealing with cancer at a young age. But your attitude is absolutely amazing. And you sound really upbeat for someone who has just been given such shocking news. Keep positive as I'm sure that attitude plays a huge part in fighting the disease.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Brixton Runner. I had no idea about this thread for sometime and had seen you corresponing in others never realising you were dealing with something like this yourself. That take some doing.
    Hope everything go's ok with the op.
    Chin up, will be thinking of you. Take Care.
  • Cath

Really gutted to read your news. Hope you got out of bed today with the same positive outlook that you took with you yesterday.

I know others who have had, and beaten, this condition. It's ridiculously common but as you say, very treatable.

As you can see by the thread, there are stacks of people thinking of you and wishing you all the best, me included.

Lots of love.
  • Cath, so sorry it wasn't the news you wanted, but fingers crossed that it all gets sorted very quickly. You are a very positive person and can only imagine that that will help you enormously, as will your network of friends and family (and us lot of course!).

Cancer runs rife on my mums side of the family and we have a ridculously high chance of getting it ourselves. This is what got me started running as I wanted to run the Race for Life (which by the sounds of it, got a lot of others on here running too!) and raise money for Cancer Research and I'll certainly do it again next year. I'm sure everyone here will be joining in next year too.

Take care Cath and good luck next week, I'll be thinking of you.

Caz
  • Cath - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Despite all your mental preparation it must still be a shock. I think everyone is right - stay positive, believe in yourself and your ability to fight this, keep leaning on your friends and the Mr - you will get through this. Good luck in the race - take it easy!

Best wishes
    Amanda
  • Cath - Really sorry to hear your news - but as everyone has said...we're all behind you. Best of luck in the race.
    NR
    x