Sunday 5th June

Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
Good morning all

Sitting up late, drinking wine, entertaining the family, playing music....when this popped up. Really strikes a chord and I think MadameO will get the lyrics straitghtways.

Back tomorrow when I've drunk more, slept a bit and done a run......

PS...apologies for the bogged up thread title, but at least I got the date right, though I wisely omitted the year

Comments

• Morning peeps

Rest day today for me, though up and been playing with Geordie in garden.

donshaw: Did you run with Glenpark mid - late1980s ? I was an active member then. Never left theclub, just gradually got less active ! There were a few that came over from Dunoon to run for/with us back then.

Highland Games at Shotts yesterday and some good traditional Scottish heavy events. Hammer, Caber, Shot etc. Freezing though !12degrees not teh 24 we had on Friday here ! Sons band won 6 prizes overallimage

'All the best' to those racing today and 'well dones' to those who raced yesterday.

Catch up time now.

• Oh and lyrics: Yes.image
  • LOL Tom - hope the head isn't too bad this morning.

Well done to the band birkmyre. Much cooler here today - but better for running I guess.

Hope the ankle is ok postie.

What:            local 10k race
    Why:             supporting a local club
    Last hard:    I'm staring it in the face
    Last rest:     29/5

The beauty of a local race - slept in this morning and am just having breakfast. Race starts at 1030hrs so we'll leave about 1010hrs to run to the start as a warm up!

Edited cos I forgot - yesterdays lyrics were Summer by Dido.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMUH: All the best for your race.

Pup now having a wee snooze at my feet.

• LMUH - are  you doing the Sinfin 10km? sitting here thinking whether or not to come down and enter on day as conditions seem good.

Lyrics yes.

what: 10km or 14m long.

why: it's what I train for

last hard: yesterday...but lets do it again image

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

LMUH - Enjoy your race

Out for 13-14 very flat miles in a while, as it is that time in my 3-week long run cycle when I get a flat one.

More later, good luck to everyone racing today.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    RFJ and postie: well run yesterday

Brian:  just realised that I've been using the seiza position in my daily stretch routine only I never realised what it was. Hurts like hell and how people manage to meditate in that position is beyond my comprehension!

LMUH: hope the race went well!

28 degrees here today - birks, shall we swap?

Bit of a late night for me yesterday (BBQ with friends) and my right knee hurts so no running yet. May do a gentle half hour in the woods later and hopefully the knee will be ok.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    As promised, back again having achieved all previously stated objectives (drunk more, slept a bit and done a run......)

Ran very easily (deliberately so) for12.2M and really enjoyed it. Ended up at 8:12 pace which was also a very pleasant surprise.

Fully expect to be asleep on the sofa fairly soonimage
  • It was ALD - did you come down?

Copied and pasted from Shades thread:

Ok, here's my race report. Sinfin 10k otherwise known as 'blimey, where did that come from?'This race is run in my local country park where I do a lot of my training and last year despite a very twisty turny course and ankle deep puddles I managed to run a PB. Wasn't expecting much this year due to doing absolutely no speedwork whatsoever in the intervening time but knew that the course had changed so was likely to be a little faster.Mark and I set off to run the mile to the start aiming to arrive between 2 - 5 minutes before the off. But it was 2 miles to the start (a mile to the entrance to the country park) and I had to stop three times on the way down before finally finding the thorn that had worked its way inside my sock and was digging in to my foot. So after a slightly speedier than expected warm up we were running towards the start line just as the race started. Thankfully it’s the widest part of the course so we were able to run to the back of the massed hordes and be last over the line. As the race isn't chipped time I always use my Garmin time so wasn't too phased by this though I don't think that Mark was too happy The first km of the race is quite narrow and crowded so fighting my way through from the back was a little hard, I did think that this would probably stop me doing my usual fast first mile though so wouldn't be a bad thing however Garmin gave me the mile at 7.17 - exactly the same as my first mile last year. It had thinned out a little by now so I was able to run in a bit more of a straight line but thanks to starting at the back was just able to keep picking people off. I was amazed and appalled at the number of runners with earphones in, I don't think I have ever seen so many. This did mean that a few of them got a bit of a shock as I found a small gap to squeeze through and get past them Mile 2 beeped in 7.26 which I thought was also the same as last year but I find out now that I was wrong.
  • I felt quite happy and thought that if I could just settle at and maintain that pace until the last mile I'd be doing great (I find it hard to think in km). Mile 3 we had a short road section into the wind. I had a couple of 'moments' here, firstly my left leg suddenly went really weird - calf and hammy feeling as though they were very heavy and about to cramp. Now this isn't the leg I've been having problems with and I wasn't sure what was going on. Decided to ignore it as I was finishing the race regardless and if it went 'pop' I'd just have to deal with it after. I then randomly decided that I was going to have another asthma attack. Now my breathing wasn't bad at this point and though running into a headwind is one of the things that might set me off there was no actual sign of it happening - it was all in my head. I gave myself a good talking to at this point. Focussed on how my breathing actually was and the fact that I have never actually had an attack whilst running - always after, when again it could be dealt with. By the time I'd talked myself out of that the leg had also recovered! Onto the riverpath and still picking off runners, made an effort to pick up the pace and found out it was successful when mile 4 came up in 7.33. Now we’re talking – two more miles and a sprint finish – just need to hold it there.Unexpected bonus with the course change was quite a long section of tarmac next and shelter from the wind (which wasn’t actually that bad anyway). I was feeling comfy and felt as though I was holding pace using the men in front of me (very few women around) as targets to chase. Had a bit of a ding dong battle with one guy, I think I was running more evenly than him but maybe he didn’t like being chicked. Off the tarmac and back on to the trail, nice tailwind for a short section and I’m working hard to hold on. Mile 5 comes up in 7.32. Ok, we’re on. Just got to keep working it.There are a string of men in front (admittedly mostly vets) and I’m reeling them in one by one and feeling good that I’m so strong. Need to work this last mile. Up a small rise which always takes it out of me and I see that the finish has moved and it’s further away! No worries, it’s still 10k and now I can see where I need to be. I know I have no sprint so I’m winding it up as much as I can with about 800m to go. Mile 6 comes up in 7.23 and I know that the PB is mine to take. Mr ding dong comes surging past but I don’t have anything to respond with (and he’s gone rather early anyway!). I just keep pushing on and cover the last little bit in 1.33 for a Garmin time of 46.33 and a PB by 1 minute 10 seconds! Course measured at 6.23m (it’s always really accurate). Obviously gun time will be somewhat slower but I’m taking the Garmin as my PB – as I always do if a race isn’t chip timed.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Great race and great report LMUH - congrats on your new pb - you must be mentally strong to put your doubts and worries (and pain!) to one side and just get on with it - excellent!

Birkmyre - Joined in 1983 as a 13 year old - came over with Duncan McNeill and Willie Jukes (RIP).  I loved the club because if I ever had to come over myself, someone would come and pick me up at the Calmac pier and drop me off later.  I was club champ in 1989/90 I think although was based in Dundee at uni by then.  And Tommy Murray and Alan Puckrin didnt do the club races!!  After that, I gave up running for a few years and moved to Livingston so when I returned to training, it was with Livingston ac.  Still got such fond memories of Glenpark though, a great club with great people!  And you were one of them!! Small world image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Oh ye, ran 10 miles today in 71:51 - very nice!  And lyrics - YUP! image
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMUH - really enjoyed your report. Congratulations on a well run PB
  • Wow, asthma, thorn in your side, the walkman brothers gumming up the rear of the field, a super-long speedy warm-up, and you still got a PB, LMUH! All you needed was Kato swinging out of the trees and attacking you mid-race and you had the full set. You've obviously put the miles in in training if you got that with no speed work.

No run for me today, just did 2 lots of 5 minutes on my knees (wow, the pins and needles it gives you!) Lots of stretching afterwards and some breathing exercises. I now need June to be my best training month ever. Bit of cross-training tomorrow, then intervals Tuesday.

If you're going go down, go down fighting.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

LMUH - Great report and huge congrats on your pb

•  Chickadee, it's also a position in yoga:

Vajrasana

Anyone got any epinephrine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_f7-9xzBRk

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Nice work and report LMH!

What: 30 mins easy
    Why: legs quite tired in unusual places...suspect its the gardening rather than the running! Gradually loosened up but decided to be cautious...again. Hopefully something more significant tomorrow...little gardening going to be done today...too cold and wet, although did rain when I ran, although did don a rain jacket in case.
    Last hard: mid week
    Last rest: I reckon its about 75 weeks now!

Lyrics: nope.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • LMH - nice going and nice PB. I did Sinfin 10k twice in my previous running life. Then it used to start out on the road and finish on the riverbank. I think i had a PB on there once too!

Meself, i ran about 16 miles earlier.

Talk soon.
  • A'noon.

donshaw: Small world ain't it ! I recognised the name, eventually ! Good days back in mid -late 80s When we won Scottish CC 4 x 2.5m Relay Championships at Bellahoustion Park in Oct 88. The celebrations were, if I recall correctly,' a bit mental'image Tommy Murray referees nowadays at U16 level. Bumped into him a few times this season as younger son plays at his level. Fittest ref everimage

Remember Wee Bertie Cox  with his 'selling technique'  for running kit ? I went into his shop one day to buy a pair of Nike socks (cost about £3 and by the time I'd come out, he'd  'persuaded me'  into buying  a new Nike all weather suit at £80. To be fair he always gave me club discount... image

chick: Yes please swap, as its 15-16 degrees here.

• Used to help Danny with younger athletes sessions up round dams. You were probably one of them.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done LMUH and  agreat PB

What - 3m easy on the Treadmill
    Why - Recovery
    Last Hard - Yesterday
    last Rest - Thurs

Take care

• Thanks guys - I suspect I'll be smiling about it for some time - though I'm having a little trouble believing it!

BSCDB - the asthma was imagined rather than real - thankfully. My running mileage is quite low - 25 - 35 miles a week - as I break if I go over that for long, part of the reason for turning to the darkside. Todays result was off the back of long distance tri training.

• Yep

LMUH: Well done from me too,forgot to post that earlier. Thought I had !

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Birkmyre - yup, I remember Bertie Cox and Danny McLaughlin very well.  There was a young guy about my age, always better than me, Martin McKendrick - wonder what became of him!  I see some of them now and again at races - always good. image 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Click this for old photos

http://glenparkharriers.webs.com/oldphotos.htm

I am in the second pic in the 80s section - are you?

• Nice set of club pics Donjshaw.

LMUH - congrats on the 10km pb - great report, must have been nice to be passing people all the way.

What: - 4 miles with Mae - most of the family orienteering!