Surrey Slog Half-Marathon 2011

Hello everyone...

I've entered the Surrey Slog for the first time this year.  It'll be my 3rd xc Half (and my 3rd any surface Half!!!), the other two being this years Steyning Stinger and Three Forts Half Marathons in West Sussex.

But .. I have a question - I'm (much) closer to 50 than 40!!! and only started running 18 months ago.  My FASTEST HM time is 2:49 (at the Three Forts) and I wanted to ask anyone who has run this race before (and particularly anyone who has run tbhis or either of the Sussex races) a simple question ...

Am I out of my depth with this race?

Both of the Sussex races were hilly, but this seems to me to be another step up again - I don't want to hold up the Marshalls and helpers on the day, waiting around for a plodder like m, and looking at previous race times and following previous race threads I'm a tiny bit worried about what I'm capable of!!!!

Thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone who enters the race this year...!

spartakrunner

Comments

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Morning Sparta, I've entered this for the first time so not sure what it's like. I did Meon Plod and Grizzly over the winter so ' think ' I should be ok for this. I also haven't done either the Steyning or the Three Forts but from what I've heard of them, it's not as if you choose easy races eh?!

Just had a quick flick at last years times. The last recorded time is 3:34:35 so you should be fine.

Enjoy it

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Thanks Chimney ...

No, I certainly don't seem to have the knack of selecting the best races for the styage I'm at - That's for sure.  But the two Sussex races were just fantastic - I loved them both.  I just think that xc is in a different stratosphere to road running.

I've never heard of either of Meon Pld or Grizzly - but they don't 'sound' as if they were that welcoming!!!

I'm sure I'll enjoy the Slog - Hope you do too>!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

This was on my list of 'to do' races this year.

Acording to the gpx file and elevation data I have of the route it isn't quite as hilly as 3 forts by almost a gnats whisker. image

So you'll find it a breeze.

• Hello b-m!!!

Did you do Three Forts this year - I couldn't find you in the throng (and you were probably miles ahead of me....!)

I did see the elevation of the route on a MapMyRun page, I think.  It looked 'similar' to Three Forts, BUT with more hills.  Thinking about it though that means more downhills too.  Doesn't it?

• I know of at least one runner in his mid 60s who hasn't been running that long who is doing this. If you've done halves before, I'm sure it's in your scope.
  • Thanks Peter.

I think it'll be in MY scope, sure - I just didn't fancy spoiling the Sunday Lunch of all those Marshall's.  I'm sure it'll be grand!

• MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a flatter half marathon, still on trails, then there is the henfield half on the 21st August... This is along the downs link and river so quite a bit flatter than the Steyning Stinger !

I have just entered this one with my daughter... It will be her first half and my second....
  • Yeah, saw that one, and it's nice around there, but unfortunately I've had to knock both that and the Seaford half as I'll be on holiday in Scotland.  Have a good one though!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Henfield is as flat as a pancake. image then there's the gates and the stiles and a couple of gates and some stiles. image I may go along for the views this year, not sure yet.

spartakrunner wrote (see)

Hello b-m!!!

Did you do Three Forts this year - I couldn't find you in the throng (and you were probably miles ahead of me....!)

I did see the elevation of the route on a MapMyRun page, I think.  It looked 'similar' to Three Forts, BUT with more hills.  Thinking about it though that means more downhills too.  Doesn't it?

I completed Three forts in 1:47 - which I was pleased with. Loved that last final 2 mile downhill - I just hit the nitros and went for it. realised when I got to Chanctonbury that I had been running too slow so I had to push a bit from there. Fun race. image
  • Not surprised I didn't catch up with you then b-m ... You were an hour ahead of me!
  • Hi everyone reading this is making me tempted. (Hi Spartak)

I have never done a 1/2 marathon before but have done quite a few 10k's. Will definetly do the Barns Green 1/2 in October - but also seriously considering this race as well as the Henfield 1/2 (did the Henfield 9 miler in february in 1.13). Would like to do something on the downs....but is it a challenge to far? 

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Surrey Slog is a wonderful race - a favourite.  The hills maybe aren't as steep as the Three Forts and tend to be long steady ones, although certainly the climb right to the top at 9m is a biggie, and it's a bit softer underfoot, being sandy rather than chalk.  You're also in the forest for almost all of it rather than out in the open, which in July is quite an important distinction - I've done it twice on hot days and it was nice.  Very much recommended.

• Just entered this. Looks like a nice challenge. If anyone has done this before, is the GPS track accurate as posted here : http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/2272859
    So, just under 238m / 800ft total ascent, with 5 climbs in total? Is this about right?
    I am doing the Trionium Munro this Saturday, with 3000 ft ascent over the HM distance. I did this in 2:21 last year, so I would hope to do the Slog in 1:50 if the GPS map is accurate.
    Cheers.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

AT. I got to the half in 2:30, it then took me 3 1/4 hours to do the second half! Those steps down to the river and back are absolutely murder.

800 foot? Pah! a few mole hills after Saturday.....image

• Chimney, I take my hat off to you for doing The Picnic! I finished the Munro in just under 2:27 this year with the slippery ground taking its toll. I would not have wanted to go around again.
  • Hi

I have run this event loads of times and it does offer something for everyone.

It can be hard but the hills are more drags nothing like the real steep climbs grizzly on the meon valley plod 

It really is a fairly low key run organised by runners for runners

Come & enjot it

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Thanks Martin, looking forward to having a fun jog round

AT. The hardest thing is turning round and doing it all again!  Once you get back up to the pub for the second time, you know most of the hard work is done and you only have 11m to go......Loved it, will definetley be back in 2013. If you can do the half, you can do the full.

• All ( especially Tmap ) - thanks for the feedback - really looking forward to this now - wasn't aware that the race is mostly in shade - I agree this is a big factor!

Sr
  • Hi Spartakrunner,

I did it last year and enjoyed it so much I have entered this year. Very well organised the scenery is amazing especially when you get to the top of Holmebury Hill.  Enjoy it.

• Hello - I was wondering if anyone has done this race and the Bewl 15 and how they compare?

I run the former a couple of Sundays ago and thoroughly enjoyed the run although the heat and the hills certainly made it a tough event. 

Trying to work out what would be a realistic time to aim for - my PB at this distance is 1.45 however that was the Richmond half that was completely flat. I suspect the suggested guidance of adding 15% might be undercooking this race a little!

Good luck to everyone!

• Excuse the error in my last post, meant to say have run the latter i.e. Bewl 15 and how does it compare to the surrey slog?
  • Seeing as I'm unable to get out on the bike over the weekend I'm tempted to do this. I'm not particularly well trained at the minute, nor have I much (any) experience of xc running, so no idea how I will get on. Is that guidance of +15% of a road half-marathon? I set my road P.B of 1:26 in May so does that mean I should be looking at around 1:38ish?
  • Shaun - I'm by no means the best man to ask what your time should be - You're an elite athlete if you're in that range - I'll be EASILY and hour outside of your times....!!!!  If I'm not flat last, I'll bevery surprised!!

Just wanted to say Thanks to Guy and everyone else who has contributed posts recently - I'll be driving the 50-odd miles to Surrey for the start early on Sunday - This shouldn't be a problem - driving back may well be.

Have a good race one and all.

SR

• The online entry has been taken down from the Runners World event listing - I'm hoping this doesnt mean it has filled up? Have emailed the organisors to see what they sayimage
  • Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing this...im guessing trail shoes are best ???
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Given the weather outside my door at the moment, full swimsuits may be needed....  image
  • Good forecast for Sunday .. sun bloc not pack o mack!
  • Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    Sunglasses & Factor 15 ! Bollox to the race lets all go sit in a beer garden.
  • I'm in

did it 10 years ago, its a f*****r
  • Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    Leaving shortly, i'll let u know if i agree !