Salclear Isle of Man Marathon

PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Looking to do a late summer / early Autumn Marathon.

Would like it to be a smallish marathon but not such that you are on your own for long stretches.

Obviously want it to be well organised and run by a local club.

Would like it reasonably flat as would like to get under 3:15 but that woudn't be a deal breaker. Not a great fan of laps either.

Are the logistics of getting to/from and around the IOM easy? (I'm Hampshire based)

Is it appropriate to camp, or does everyone B&B, or is one of the hotels an unofficial base?

Is IOM a good choice or has anyone any other suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions. 

Piers

Comments

• Hi Piers,

I have done the half marathon a few times in recent years. The marathon is 2 laps of the half marathon course. It is a lovely event , well organised by the IOM vets club. The course runs run lovely countryside along quiet country roads. It is not flat but the only sharp incline is around the 4 mile point ( abut 300 meters or so. The marathon runners hit this again on the second lap ( at 17 mile point). It is a fair course and i would highly recommend it. If you train hard you may get under 3:15 but the generous buffet at the end makes this race one of the best around. Lots of runners stay around douglas but the organiers lay on coach  transport to and from ramsey ( £5.00 charge). If you go on the isle of man tourist web site you can check for accommodation. I usually stay in B & B. It is a small marathon. Under 300 usually in the marathon. I can't recommennd this race highly enough - Don't tell the masses!!

James

• I'll 2nd that James, this will be my 3rd visit. overall the course isn't too bad, the hill mentioned is quite managable and the rest of the course is flatish, and what goes up goes down so the hill at 17 is early enough to cope with 2nd time round. Although a smallish field you are usually in touch with others, there are some good long stretches and i don't recall too many twist and turns where you lose sight of runners in front for long periods. 3.15 pace is quite competitive so you should be able to make a race of it. Best base would be either Douglas or Ramsey for ease of getting to the race, my preference has been Douglas and making use of the excellent return coach shuttle, great value and guaranteed to get you to the start in plenty of time. Well organised marathon and a great buffet reception afterwards. Worth staying over and getting a 1 day travel pass to explore the island on the Monday, finishing in Peel to watch the evenings peel hill race, quite a few who did the marathon also do this race,

If your thinking of flying in, there is a bus service from the airport to Douglas, or by boat, the sea terminal is within walking distance of the town centre.

hope to see you there

Mark

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses, still not certain about running a marathon in 2011, but sure will think about IOW

Piers

• Is this marathon ok for people who are not that fast i.e 10 minute milers like myself or am I gonna be right at the back? only used to doing larger events.