Time trialling Thread

Comments

• $hit TT hope your ok and not too much damage to the bike.

Fair play for finishing though - the last 20 are tough anyway, let alone after that!

• Bikes fine. Tri-bars are buggered but replaceable.

Had a very serious attempt on 1st or 2nd in Welsh Best all rounder and top 20 for national. That's gone to the wall. P!ssed me right off. Welsh 10 champs only major one I will be able to race now.

20 DNFs in the race due to the rain, I carried on!
  • There was a lot of dnfs at hounslow too. Guess that is pretty standard for 100s
  • Welsh 100 Champs 80 starters last year, 79 finishers.
    Welsh 12 gets about 5 DNFs mostly fecked riders as mechs are fixed.

Record I belive is 70 plus DNS! Club had to swap event from the R25/3(the fast one everyone raves about) to a near by course. Shows there are a lot of PB chasers out there.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Bad luck with the 100 TT - are there no other centuries then or just no others you fancy ?   There used to be one on the A50 that was fairly fast - a mate went 3.5* something a couple of years ago on it.  
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Bad luck TT. Sounds like you were lucky, although I am sure it didn't feel like it at the time.

I've done 2 club 10s so far this yr, 26.13 and 25.24. Nice to see the biking form that can come from 100% running. I reckon it shouldn't take too much work through the winter to get down into the 23.xxs.

Got my first club duathlon on Weds eve. Anyone know what sort of 10m TT time I need to get to become competitive on the duathlon circuit?
  • Popsider, I may be back for the Welsh 100. Thing is staminia will be shot. Sub 4 hours was the plan(3.55 fact fans) but with no Welsh 12 hour cant have my Welsh BAR. British BAR can be done with a cheeky 12 hour in September. however mojo at mo is a bit low. Gunning for a long 20 on a 10 course instead.

K do a few sessions on the bike of pure lungs out sprints, it helps. For a Du brit champs i think the times are about 20/21 minutes 10 miler tts and 38 minutes 10k runners.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    TT I think the Kent 12hr is now in Sept. Not a fast course, but better than when it was run in August. I managed 264miles there a few years ago.

Thanks for the time guide. Are those times to qualify / front of field or for the average athelete? Also are those times as stand alones or as part of the event? I can do the 10k one but has been a few years since I was in the low 21s for a 10m TT.
  • Slow course!!!   264 miles on the welsh is a winning slot!

Qualify for brit duatherlon champs.  Have a look at the BTA site details on there. hidden away but there.

• Keir wrote (see)
    Bad luck TT. Sounds like you were lucky, although I am sure it didn't feel like it at the time. I've done 2 club 10s so far this yr, 26.13 and 25.24. Nice to see the biking form that can come from 100% running. I reckon it shouldn't take too much work through the winter to get down into the 23.xxs. Got my first club duathlon on Weds eve. Anyone know what sort of 10m TT time I need to get to become competitive on the duathlon circuit?
    While bike strength is very important in a duathlon, being a very good runner makes you more competitive, if you can ride a 22min 10 on a fast course that will probably put you in the top 10% of races.  I can do a low 21 min 10 but will get beaten due to my poor running (38min 10k )
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    I did win image (my only TT win). Had a head to head with Chris Hopkinson. Pretty much retired from TTs after that.

Thanks for the BTA tip.

edit - x-post - What sort of 10k time do the guys who beat you do?
  • topguys are running 30-33min 10k - but there is a lot of strength in depth around 35-36
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Ah, I have (lots of) work to do image

(have hunted but can't find anything on the qualify for brit duatherlon champs on the BTA site).
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

How competitive do you want to be ?    A mate of mine does a fair few - googled his results and he came third out of 60-70 in an admittedly low key recent duathlon - his 10k pb is pretty much dead on a mid 36 and even in ideal conditions on a fast DC course I think he'd probably be looking at a long 21 for a standalone 10 mile TT.  

Few years since I did any but I did think the running side a lot stronger than the cycling - I was more of a runner at the time but did relatively better on the bike.  

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Thanks Popsider. That's given a bit of a context. I reckon with some careful working around family commitments, I might just about be able to get close to your mates times. Need to get Abingdon Marathon and VLM 2012 out of the way before I give the duathlons a real crack though.
  • National 50 for me this weekend, hope conditions are better than the 100 i did on the same course recently!
  • Best of luck Dooze, look forward to seeing you in the National TT jersey next season then!!

Just upgrading loads of stuff on my TT bike so will be going much quick over the cming weeks.

Planning on Doing Flat Out in the Fens on the TT machine, 112 miles weekend of the 25th June
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Good luck Doozer.

Are you selling your old stuff Cona? I am after a disc and an aero helmet.
  • Sorry buddy, just upgrading aero bars and group set. Taking Shim 105 off and replacing with SRAM Red which i've sourced really cheaply from various places.

I by alot of stuff from eBay so I'd hit there. Always a shit load of aero helmets on there at a reasonable price.

If anyone is selling a disc wheel I'd be interested though just forthe sound alone!! Oh and if it's going for around £50....
  • Stumbled across this thread. Doozer, how did you get on in the national 50? Conditions weren't the best.

I have my first 100 in 11 days time. Terrified is an understatement! Haven't got much idea of time to aim for, how hard to go out or what nutrition strategy to use image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    for interest - the National 24hr TT Champs took place around roads near me at the weekend.

Andy Wilkinson broke his 24hr record with a (yet to be finally verified) distance of 543 miles

that's over 22.5mph for 24 hrs

ferk me!! chapeau...
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    I think that the 100 is the hardest distance of all Rach. You have to go almost flat out, unlike the 12, but it lasts a long time. Very similar to a marathon in a way.

The main challenge is focusing for 4 hrs and coping with the distance. I think a lot of people fade towards the end, basically from a lack of long rides. Holding a TT position for that distance is also difficult.

I found lots of bottles of SiS and a gel at 25, 50 and 75 miles was plenty of fuel.

Hard to work out a pacing strategy, due to terrain and current fitness. I found I used to ride 100s about 5 bpm below my 50m TT HR. So just a little easier. Basically almost the same effort, but slightly easier over any rises just to save that little bit of energy.

The way you are progressing Rach I would have thought an aim for a top 3 would be possible. Good luck.
  • Thanks Keir.

I was getting over an illness for the national 50 and managed a 2:04 in those horrendous conditions! My HR was low(ish!!) and I felt I could have continued at that pace for another 50. My only issue was cramp in my hip(!) which caused me to sit up for a while at 40 miles. I'd like to think somewhere between 4:10-4:15 would be a realistic aim.

Kind of looking forward to it more than a 10 - I like the thought of cruising at a steady heartrate for four hours rather than the tunnel of pain which is a 10 mile TT!!

• Bit of a blast from the past, but I thought I'd post a little about my TT'ing exploits!!!.

Been a decent year for me, riding is all I do now, since my knee messed up good and proper in late 2009 early 2010, enjoying TT's and am racing at least twice a week ATM.

Currently I've got my PB's down to....

10 mile : 22:47

25 mile : 58:33

50 mile : 2:04:15 (was my first, pacing went south on this one!)

Hoping to do my first 100 and 12hr TT's next year some time.

The good thing is, I am much MUCH more competative as a tester than I ever was as a runner!!!

• Blimey, Danowat! We're almost equal with PBs! I started TTing in April as I couldn't run because of injury and I've so far done 22:52 / 57:51 / 2:04:01 (like you - not satisfied with my first attempt at a 50!!). I just want some non-windy weather to set some better times. This year's been awful for the wind!

Like you, I find I can race TTs multiple times a week. You don't get the muscle fatigue you do with running.

I definitely have no plans for a 12 hour though image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    It's really strange, coming to running after cycling.

I would often do hard intervals on Tues and Thurs, evening 10 or a local crit on Weds (often after 100m ride if I got the day off) and a 100m RR or some TT on Sunday. Riding 7 days per week.

Now I am more of a runner than cyclist, I really miss the competing 2 - 3 times each week. I also find it hard to maintain focus without this. This past month I have tried to go back to the cycling approach. I've done a HM, a off road 30k and a 10m the past 3 sundays (and done extra miles to increase the distance to 16 - 18 miles) as well as 2 duathlons and a 10m TT on the Weds. This along with MLRs has certainly knackered me, but has been great fun.

Looking forward to my first open duathlon Sunday week. Unfortunately when it comes to riding, the mind is willing but the body is weak!
  • My clubmate did the National 24hr this weekend, and had to pull out after 16hrs with stomach issues, I have no plans to do a 24hr, none at all!!!!.

The 12 I could manage, our district 12hr course is a stones throw from my house, and my missus said she'd do all the support, which is a bonus.

Your times are very good, you must be winning plenty of prize money with those!!!, I've only won £20 since I started late last year, although I came 8th on a 25TT, 13 secs off the prize money!.

I find riding fits in with my lifestyle so much better, its much more of a social thing too, I always thought I didn't fit into the "running set", but I find myself much more at home in cycling, plus I cycle to work, so I can combine training with saving fuel!.

Agree about the wind, although I am pretty big and strong, so I seem to go better than many others when pushing into the wind.

• Rach E wrote (see)

Stumbled across this thread. Doozer, how did you get on in the national 50? Conditions weren't the best.

I have my first 100 in 11 days time. Terrified is an understatement! Haven't got much idea of time to aim for, how hard to go out or what nutrition strategy to use image

I had a bit of a shocker 2:07 - was expecting to go somewhere close to 2 hours.  Wind was a lot stronger than when I did the 100 on the same course a few weeks earlier.  Im not really TT fit at the moment compared to the last couple of years due to IM training.  I will be addressing that once Austria is out of the way this weekend. 

Looked like I missed a float night on the P885/25 last night too.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Those are some good times Rach especially for saying you only started this year.  

Dano  - are you just into the TTing or have you dipped your toe into road racing at all ?     I'm having a shocking season so far - went well last year but can't find any form at all this.  

We should get a RW (or is this TW now?) group to do a sportive and ride it as a group - or maybe a couple of groups  one to hammer round as fast as we can and one social.

• Just TT'ing ATM, had a brief flirt with circuit racing, but found it a bit iffy, especially at CAT4 level, not sure I can justify the crash costs!!!.

May try road racing in the future, but I just like the simplicity and ease of TT'ing, that and the fact itsYOUR race, with none of this strategy BS that I can't get along with!!!