Midweek Madness Delamere Forest 10k

Hi Guys,

What better way to break the week up than a midweek raceimage 

The Delamere forest midweek madness 10k will be taking place on Wednesday 17th August 2011 at 7pm

The event will be chip timed and all runners will recieve a Bespoke medal & Mug.

This is the second event in the BUGRUNS! series of events, our recent Liverpool Croxteth Park 10k was a great success and we recieved a lot of good feedback, which is always nice image however there is always room for improvement and so this event promises to be even bigger and even betterimage

We have worked closely with forestry commission to obtain permission to use the forest, addittionally we have recieved great support from Steve Broadfoot a retired grade 1 course measurer and Brian Grice a active grade 1 course measurer, both of whom will be instrumental to the course design and distance accuracey, addittionally we have enlisted the help of the recently formed Delamere spartens running club, so with the level of experience and enthusiasm of those involved in the course design I can promise all the runners who are planning on participating that this will be the best 10k you have ever done at Delamere forest! image

You can enter online via runnersworld, or by downloading a entry form from our site and posting it www.bugruns.org.uk BUGRUNS! SITE or addittionally you can enter instore in Up & Running on Bold street Liverpool (opposite central station)

See you all there!

Mark

Comments

• £17 to run round Delamere ?   You are joking
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    £17 to run round Delamere ?   You are joking

Hi Dave,

It is £15 for affiliated entry & £17  for standard entry, in answer to your question it is not £17 to run round Delamere it is free to run around Delamere!

It is however £17 to enter our event a percentage of this is retained by the forestry commission as there fee for allowing us use of the forest, and also if you often visit Delamere you would know that the car parks are pay and display, however we have paid for the use of the car parks so our entrants can benefit from free parking.

Additionally a large percentage of the entry fee is used to fund toilets, medals, mugs, timing, results,pa, the list is endless!

The cost to enter our event is fair and a lot cheaper than many events with similar benefits/setup

If you dont want to enter that is entirely up to yourself, however why not come along and be a spectator and I think when you see the size and complexity of the organisation you will appreciate why there is a fee! I wouldnt consider it to be a excessive fee, and like to think for the overall experience we provide it is a bargain!

• Parked in a free carpark (only the big one and the one at the centre are P&D)  last night and ran 15km all for free....
  • There is a massive difference between a training run and a organised event, you can run around the streets of London for free almost every day of the year but yet have to enter a bollot and pay a fee for the marathon!

The fee covers the cost of the event and so you are not just merely paying to go for a run, you are paying for a experience! You can cook food at home for a fraction of the cost of dining out but yet it is always nice to eat out, you can watch a movie on the tv at home but yet cinemas are full, you can excercise at home but yet various excercise classes are extremely popular up & down the country, you can see what I am getting at here.....people pay to enter our events because they are guarenteed a great experience.

It would be nice to be able to offer free entry to all of our events but then they just would not take place because there is a significant cost involved in hosting high quality events.

Mark

• Only £11 to enter Birchwood 10km and you get a towel which is more use than a medal
    Only £11 to enter Birchwood 10km and you get a towel which is more use than a medal

We also give MUGS! which are just as much use as a towel!

We also have a large event setup, i.e chip timing, race arch, proffessional pa, bottled water

I Can sense that you are not going to be convinced via a forum debate, we host trial runs of the courses we use and invite runners along, please feel free to come along to the Delamere one when we have set dates and come along to the event, and then if you can tell me that it was not worth the entry fee then fair enough!

We hosted a event last weekend the Croxteth Park 10k in Liverpool and the entry fee was only £10/£12 however the operational costs of hosting the event where less and so the entry fee reflects this, if the event costs us less to host the entry cost will be less, that is why all of our events have different entry costs.

Mark

• Alright mark, what is your race limit for this one?

• St Domingo wrote (see)
    Alright mark, what is your race limit for this one?

Hi Mate,

The race limit is 800 so far we have just over 200, Delamere is a great place to run and again a lot of effort is being put into designing a course that will excite runners, it will once again be a brand new never before used course.

The course design has already started and we will have a confirmed certified 10km course in the coming weeks.

Mark

• mark connor wrote (see)

We also give MUGS!

Think that's called clutching at straws....

• Mark - After the excellent setup at Croxteth Park 10k I will definitely be putting my name down for this, well done on putting on such great events mate, see you on Saturday. You running this week?

• Mark , is it a 1 lap course?

I run round Croxteth Park 4/5 times most weeks for free. It cost me 12 pounds to run round it sunday it was absolutely worth it. You can't compare a training run to racing a well organised event.
  • Mark

Another Mug if you do all Bug run races youll end up with you own canteens worth - Maybe think about a t-shirt or a towel next year??Just an idea anyway will be doing it sound like fun just got to wait till pay dayimage as ive just entered Brighton marathon £50 and Dave's moaning abouy £17 as the saying goes

"You can't please everyone"

• I'm sure some people would complain parkrun isn't value for money!!!! image
  • Its not value though sprinting toffee you have to get there at your own expense, the cheek of them.
  • It was a comment, rather than a moan that £17 for an evening run round Delamare was a bit steep !

• i did the croxteth run on sunday. it was very well organised and a good event for even a plodder like me to take part in.
    hope to do this as it is close to where i work.
    Mark you should put a list of the costs involved, just to show how expensive they are to put on.
    mark connor wrote (see)

We also give MUGS!

Think that's called clutching at straws....

I Have no need to clutch to straws, we promised a great 10k event at Croxteth park last weekend and we delivered and we are promising a great 10k event at Delamere and again we will deliverimage I said you would rather have something useful, and I merely told you we would give you a mug aswell as a medal.
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

It was a comment, rather than a moan that £17 for an evening run round Delamare was a bit steep !

You cant compare a training run with a event, out of interest how much do you think it should be? would you rather it was cheap to enter and poorly organised i.e all meet in the carpark and run 10k and meet back at the car park? If the event was £40 fair enough that would be expensive but £15/£17 for what you get is in my opinion.......value for money!
  • My comment was that compared to a lot of other 10 k's £17 was a 4 or 5 pounds more.

It wasn't attack on your organisation, or how you have calculated your costings, It was a comment.

As some one who does 4 or 5 10ks a year in my opinion it is one of the most expensive I have seen...

But feel free to publish your costings if you wish....

• Mcattack wrote (see)

Mark

Another Mug if you do all Bug run races youll end up with you own canteens worth - Maybe think about a t-shirt or a towel next year??Just an idea anyway will be doing it sound like fun just got to wait till pay dayimage as ive just entered Brighton marathon £50 and Dave's moaning abouy £17 as the saying goes

"You can't please everyone"

Hi Mcattack,

Your right lots of mugs are no use to anyone! we posted a question on facebook before the first event "T-Shirts or Mugs?" and the response was in favour of mugs! 

We have already started to look at what we could give away next year, at the moment we are looking at sports bottles but if you have any suggestions let me know.

You are right you cant always please everybody, but I like to tryimage we dont cut any corners or spare any expense so I know our entry prices are justified but there will always be those who think they are over inflated, many people where shocked (in a good way) on Sunday for £10/£12 we delivered a event that many organisers would charge a entry fee closer to £20 as a runner myself who takes part in lots of events and even give up my saturday mornings to support and volunteer at parkrun value for money is something that is important to me and I think we offer exactly that!

• St Domingo wrote (see)
    Mark , is it a 1 lap course? I run round Croxteth Park 4/5 times most weeks for free. It cost me 12 pounds to run round it sunday it was absolutely worth it. You can't compare a training run to racing a well organised event.

Hi St Domingo,

Yes a single lap 10k again unlocking areas that other events have not used.

• sprinting toffee wrote (see)

Mark - After the excellent setup at Croxteth Park 10k I will definitely be putting my name down for this, well done on putting on such great events mate, see you on Saturday. You running this week?

I Will be there on Saturday, volunteering! I am doing the results, I am doing the mersey tunnel 10k on Sunday!
  • blue steve wrote (see)
    i did the croxteth run on sunday. it was very well organised and a good event for even a plodder like me to take part in. hope to do this as it is close to where i work. Mark you should put a list of the costs involved, just to show how expensive they are to put on.
    Hi Blue Steve, I am pleased you enjoyed it, the aim is for our events to keep improving so Delamere will prove to be even betterimage
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

My comment was that compared to a lot of other 10 k's £17 was a 4 or 5 pounds more.

It wasn't attack on your organisation, or how you have calculated your costings, It was a comment.

As some one who does 4 or 5 10ks a year in my opinion it is one of the most expensive I have seen...

But feel free to publish your costings if you wish....

You are entitled to your opinion, it would be nice if you done one of our events and then by all means if it did not live up to your expectations then come on here and say "Never again" and slate us for not providing value for money, but I think if you came along and took part you would be swayed into thinking....worth every penny!
  • Mark,

Sports bottle would be good as would towels

• Will you please accept what I wrote in the way I wrote it !

When you are writing a cheque to cover 4 entries (my oh and 2 of the kids), £17 seems high compared to lots of other events............

It was a simple statement of fact  IT SEEMS HIGH COMPARED TO OTHER 10K's.

It wasn't a comment on your organisational skills, it wasn't a comment on the value for money of your event,

You have taken a simple "That's 4 or 5 quid more than most" as an attack on your skills and your event.

It wasn't written that way, and you have turned it into something it wasn't.

Will you please accept what I wrote in the way I wrote it !

When you are writing a cheque to cover 4 entries (my oh and 2 of the kids), £17 seems high compared to lots of other events............

It was a simple statement of fact  IT SEEMS HIGH COMPARED TO OTHER 10K's.

It wasn't a comment on your organisational skills, it wasn't a comment on the value for money of your event,

You have taken a simple "That's 4 or 5 quid more than most" as an attack on your skills and your event.

It wasn't written that way, and you have turned it into something it wasn't.

Apologies, some times via forums, email etc what is written can be misconstrued, as I am sure you can appreciate a lot of work and dedication is required to deliver a succesful event and so it is natural that I should defend our event series.

All I have tried to do in my responses is not create a argument but hopefully encourage you to take part in one of our events before deciding if they are over priced, there are events that have a lower entry fee than ours and there are events that have a larger entry fee than ours, but I can assure you that our events are all based around providing value for money and not at all about large profit retention, the ideal way to generate large profit retention would be to spend less on the delivery of the event and have a lower entry cost so that we attract larger numbers, the reason we dont do this is that I want people to have a great day at a great event I want people to enjoy the EXPERIENCE! 

• Thank you

You have almost got it.

I said seems high, not over priced........ and I never said anything about profit retention...

Cheers

Hope it all goes well for you

• That's some nice back tracking there, Dave.
  • Where was the back tracking ?

I pointed out that Mark wasn't reading what I had written, Once he accepted that he hadn't and had apologised I was happy....

• £17 to run round Delamere ? You are joking

Is a far cry from "seems a tad high to me".
  • semantics......

feel free to carry on......