VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Happy Fridays all.

Mark, I'm getting it out of the kitchen drawer......

+1 to loving Rod's attitude, I read your last post and could hear you saying it. Good on you mate. image

Fingers crossed that he finds an escape tunnel soon Vik. Blouse is still on the agency trail too, the temp job is definitely just that.
  • Thank goodness Vik and hope he finds an alternative soon!  Ditto for Blouse - Hash has he found anything remotely ok?  Daughter needs to find the escape hatch too - what she is doing gets more demeaning by the day (aka skivvy/run around for her boss - she is now questioning the point of going to Uni and getting a 1st in her degree) and considering goint to Oz for a year or so - Mr Pinks brother and wife live there and are over here staying with us for couple of weeks.

Rod you are such a grand example to us all - dedicated and committed but also so calm and sensible when it comes to listening to your body and knowing when to rest/take a break. Really hope you are back on track soon.  I think we all forget the marathon was really only a short while ago and our bodies do need a recovery period after such intense training.  I don't exactly follow my own advice though!!  However I do seem to do less running and more gym type stuff throughout the summer which I think helps.  Last night I did a circuit of push-ups, squats, tricep dips, lunges, shoulder press, hamstring curls, bicep curls, lunges followed by 15 mins fast on the treadie and then repeated the whole lot twice - it was fun and really sweated/burnt some c**p out!!!

• Morning all- thanks for your good wishes!

Got to work yesterday feeling a great weight had been lift- so started compiling a training plan for Windsor Half while sitting bored at my desk- using GArmin Sub 2- not sure i'll dip under it this year but would like to get as close to 2.00 as I can- and as Kim mentione don facebook I knocked 15mins off my marathon time so 13 (pb 2.13) off a half should be doable!!

Sending good work vibes to Hash and little Pinks-probably best to go travelling now as I have two friends who took a sabbatical from their jobs (both teachers) and travelled the world for 18months but now can't get back into jobs!!

HAppy friday all!!

• Thanks Hash I meant it too image

Pinks said . Rod you are such a grand example to us all - dedicated and committed but also so calm and sensible when it comes to listening to your body and knowing when to rest/take a break. Really hope you are back on track soon.  I think we all forget the marathon was really only a short while ago and our bodies do need a recovery period after such intense training.  I don't exactly follow my own advice though!!  

Well I appear to be calm which I am, its because I just can't run yet I am in not much pain, I think it may take a while to sort but hey no one died image

I must say the gym stuff is keeping my fitness levelas ticking over, am up to 2K now on the rowing machine, a good one to get the heart rate up plus all the other stuff.

I am heading to Silverstone tomorrow for the MOto GP qualifying so will take the pushbike with me so I will get good virews from all over the circuit plus exercise at the same time. It is only 6 weeks since the marathon, not much really, I see the physio Monday , hopefully things will be a bit better then.

• I've been rowing too Rod but boy is it hard work!!  How long does it take you to do 1k out of interest?  Been taking me just under 5 minutes which little Pinks thinks is hilarious because he does it in under 3:50 - still thats his sport I keep telling him so he should be faster and just wait until we do the 10k together in September.........hmmm bet he will still beat me!

Also been spinning on the bike doing 10k stints but I can't get under 20 minutes yet (I do have it on the least resisitance so I'm just pedalling like crazy).  One of my running crew is doing a gym triathlon next week - 4k row, 10k bike and 5k on treadmill which in total has to be under an hour!!!

• I use a concept 2 which I believe is the standard rowers one, I may be wrong.

1k takes me around 354, the last bit feels tough, I think I can get that down given time, I did 2K yesterday in around 8.50 as I didn't want to stop because I went too fast to start with, they are a great work out. Just done all of my physio exercises, its hard to get motivated to do them but I am a great believer in them so I religiously do them each day.

Under 5 minutes sounds preety good to me Pinks, I have the resistance full on I think but the guy at the gym said it didn't make a lot of difference, I will have a look when I am there tomorrow.

• Yep we have the concept 2 and its the one little pinks has at school for rowing too - I'm pretty hopeless on it but only just learning and still need to get my technique down.  Also I have to be bit wary of my back so I'm constantly checking my position which probably doesn't help on speed! Fun to be doing a different sort of cardio and mixing it up a bit although i detest the cross trainer!!!
  • I never used it Pinks as I had a bad back for years but since the day I dropped (a fair bit of) weight in 2006 I have never had a twinge so I am glad to be back on it again. X trainer, well a tad boring but very very effective and does everything, I tend to do 5 minutes on a bike 20 x trainer, 15 treadmill plus upper body one day and upper / lower body another, session takes just over an hour. plus 50 to 75 ab crunches (2 or 3 lots of 25) The rower has replaced the treadmill for now but once I am back on that it will be as well as.

I would say you are doing the right thing with the rower, best watch the old baclk image

• Rod - it looks like I now have a place for Abingdon but I think there will still be plenty of people wanting it if you decide on Chester
  • Ok no problems I am still injured and have this sort of superstition in never entering races while injured image

Today was the local big 10K the 2 Castles run, we had 69 finishers from our club, I was entrusted to do the group photo! 

By heck it was wet, I went on the motorcycle which wasn't ideal but I thought it was a better idea, shame I couldn't run but best rest, I see the physio again tomorrow.

• I got soaked.  Went on the road/track up to Stowe but then headed across the fields to the circuit.  On field that usually has sheep in had knee high grass instead and another had crops across most of the path.  Then there was a frisky horse so I ended up walking through the field while keeping a very close eye on where he/she was!

Clearly the Moto GP finishes earlier than the Formula 1 version and as I hit the road they all started leaving.  Prize for awful driving goes to the Range Rover (with personal plates) who decided to overtake 3 other cars toward a bend as the other cars were passing me!

• Morning all, I've been really busy at work last week, and it was my cousins wedding on Saturday so I decided to have a week off running.  With all the rain I think it was a good week to take off - well done for getting out yesterday USB.

Its the club handicap tomorrow night but we have work drinks and there is a 3 line whip in operation so I think I may have to miss it and run Thursday night instead.

Hope the rest of you are ok and those on the bench are recovering well.

• The race is not always to the swift............but to those who keep on running.

Wish I could do! Happy new week all.

• physio for me today, I have just been out and ran gently for 10 minutes, not as much pain now, virtually none but still a lot to be done. Mark I feel for you as it has been a fair old time now, keep your spirits up, I think I will be out for a while yet.
  • I can ride the bike but dont enjoy cycling as much, though not much choice at the moment. Good to hear you are on the mend.  Met a guy this weekend who has run the GNR the last nine years and will be doing no 10 this weekend, he said see you at the start, I am beginning to wonder at the moment..........anyway enough grumbling.     Our friend C started her second round of treatement for Hodgkins Lymphoma today, a 20 hour drip, though they have found six tumors so its not looking good..... I have no problems and I have had 12 years more life than her so must stop moaning.

• 8.19 miles in 32 mins average 3.57 up the Monsal trail and back which was full of pesky walkers and dogs getting in the way and slowing me down. By the way thats on the bike!!!!
    Hows the injury Rod?
    Anybody suggest any good reading for the holidays only about five weeks to go!!??
  • the physio told me to run short periods witrh an extra insole in one shoe, I have done 20 minutes , it doesn't hurt that much more of a nuisance, just taking it steady around 9.20, what he is saying is that it would be good to get everything working again rather than wait a long time, he had a good prod and a poke and is certain its nothing that serios, I feel no different now than before I went out so thats a positve, it was good running in the heat, why does the sweat start poring out of me now I am finished? image
  • Good news rod! Gives you an excuse to drink plenty sweating as you do!!!
  • afternoon all!!

started my campaign for Windsor Half with a good and steady (all be it very hot) 3 miles at 10.02 min mile which strangely is starting feel an alright pace for me image

off for a proper catch up now image

• Happy training Vik..................... cycled in to work twice today as forgot my keys!!! Too busy planting lettuce and veg at 7.30 to be bothered about coming to work. Very sleepy at the moment, is it true if you eat a lot of lettuce it makes you tired must google that question!!!

How is the training going for RIO? Nearly big race time me thinks.

Happy Wednesday all.image

There is no failure only feedback!

• Morning all, firstly good running Vik it was warm yesterday but running in that is always of some benefit, you only have to look at how many runners folded in London and Brighton to know that

smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark you must be keeping fit with all this cycling so all good.

I feel ok today after yesterdays run so will have another go later before heading off to work.

Have a good day all

• Rod- i'm taking advantge of running in the sun at every oppotunity that way I can bet my bottom dollar that brighton next year will be wet and miserable- well one can hope can't they.....

Mark- what was the answer on the lettuce......

I managed 4 miles with 6 x 400m reps with 1 mins recovery

7.26 / 7.21 / 7.30 / 7.36 / 7.48 / 7.43 which I am pretty damn chuffed about image although I need to start off a bit slower I think so I don't fade on the last reps- although I did have to contened with the horse rideing school in bushy park- Im a bit scared of spooking a horse so when I came up behind them having a lesson today I was a bit cautious so slowed down a it to overatke on the track next to the path!!

• wow sooooo humid here today - running after work felt like hard work!! I've run every day since saturday as trying to shed the Dubai tummy!!!

Great news Rod and hope the extra insole thingy does the trick. Mark how is the back? Any improvement and are you still seeing fizz?

Those are MARVELLOUS splits on your intervals Vik - go you!!!!!!!!

My PT is back from hols so looking forward to a mad gym session tomorrow - eeek!!!!
  • well run Vik, the secret is consistency I believe so you are on the right wavelengh.

Have run 30 minutes today, again felt some pain when starting but it did ease up after 10 minutes, I think I will keep an open mind on this, won't be doing any races untill things improve but i feel ok about things, did upper body and rower in the gym afterwards followed by a swim. Pinks it was really humid here too and I felt it when getting a bit faster at the end.

I must say i think the advice my fizz has given me has been great, I could have not run at all but I think ill just stick at what he has said amnd if the pain gets worse then re asses..

Regarding the insole I will see how this goes, Hash and a few others on here have pointed out rightly that lots of us are lopsided and are perfectly ok with it, I'm not sure that this has caused the injury but time will tell I guess.

• Great that you're back on the road, Rod, take it gently

Vik, what Pinks said, fab splits!

Pinks if you have a tummy I'm a chinaman!

I'm really having to accept slowing down image Heroes Half in 2.07 last Sunday, bye bye sub 2 hour halfs. Oh well, be grateful to be able to run at all I suppose
  • Hash I'm sure the weather and everything that has been going on in your life in last 6 months or so will have played a massive part so do NOT be hard on yourself.  I know I could never do PB times at this time of year.  Shall we all aim for Bedford half or something similar (I'll make sure I'm not stressed/poorly this time!) and really leg it???image 

Ran 6m after work last night and the whole route felt a struggle - I'm so not a summer runner!!

• Did my  5miler around the local lakes last night and it was hard as it was my second day on the trot and the atmosphere was so heavy....but it was done....

Pinks... Bedford sounds a good idea to me . Just have to check the date ( do you know what it is yet ??????   ) and make sure I am not working elsehwhere.... put me down for two entries ( my son and me )

Right folks...keep up the good work be very careful of your bodies I don;t want to hear about too many being on the bench.  I will keep in touch over the next 33 days whilst I am on hols...... boy don't you just love retirement...image

• Lettuce can make you sleepy but there is a need to eat quite a lot of it apparently.......................

Cycled loads this week and the back is so stiff and sore, thinking about getting a mattress topper, though our mattress is only 2 years old and seems okay, anybody got one of these? Does it help bad backs?  Not been to fizz. Just keep trying to do some exercises to losen up. But my back is so stiff.

Enjoy your hols Gatton. Well done on 2.07 Hash you have been rather busy etc so that is a great time. Well done. Vik is the star at the moment go girl................

Take it steady Rod dont rush back. Ease into it. 

Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard at it...................

• 2.07 is good Hash, you  could well get faster again so I wouldn't give up on the idea but of course being out there is more important, the 3 miles I did yesterday were great even though they were not fast, the groin hurts a little so I will just do the gym today.

Gatton, 33 days............image

Pinks providing I am back fully come December I will be there, I don't care if I am slower this year it's just a great event.

Mark hopefully you will make it too.

• I had 4 miles steady last night - did 9.37mm average image