Friday 10th June

Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
Good morning, just.

An opportunist attempt at todays lyrics....especially for Birkmyre and Donj and anyone else of the Scottish persuasion.

I'm planning 5.4M, up the road, round the corner and back. Nice easy recovery run.

Back tomorrow, well actually today!

Comments

• Morning Tom:

What:5, yes 5 milesimage

Why: Simply because I need to stop my habit of running 4 miles

Lovely sunny morning up here too. Nature knew it was a soecial running morning for me.

Paddy: Please note, posted before 6amimage Never said what day I'd post them before 6am...

Lyrics; Think so.

Catch up time.

• Simon: 15:43 for 5kimage. Take  a bow son !image

Tom: Thats two 5 milers in a row for me. I wonder if 5 mileswill be my new 4 miles...image

• Go well Stickless!

Well run Simon - great result.

Yesterdays lyrics were Wake Up and Live by Bob Marley

What:                    dentist/hopefully a short, easy run
    Why:                      I need a 'deep' filling/I'll need to de-stress
    Last hard:            turbo intervals yesterday.
    Last rest:             29/5

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Hope Stickless has fun!

What: something short, probably.
    Why: working today/achilles tender...went to watch 5k last night and did a couple of ks hard. Fine at the time...

Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: not for some time

Lyrics: nope (even though I have a Scottish qualification!) 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning All

Thanks for the kind words yesterday and above regarding Weds. Really good course though and windy, but in right direction!

Tom - nothing this weekend then the Marston Forest 5k near Bedford next Friday..

Ale - did a track 5k few weeks ago - 15.52, but don't really get chance to do many. Perhaps a 1500 at Watford later this month?

Easy 6 miler at lunchtime, picking up new Adistar Ride this afternoon - far too excited (ooo new trainer smell image)

Have a good day...

Lyrics - no. again!!!!

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Morning,

Thank you for the good luck wishes for last night image I'm a happy pixie today... but will tell you all about it in a minute. Catching up on all the gossip first...

Looks like I missed the chance to wish Stickless good luck, but sending many good luck vibes. 

Ace prize Don - one of our girls came 1st last night and didn't win anything!

Good to see Pammie and Emzap getting back into it, and a mojo'd-up Wabo!

Great TT Gobi.

NZC - orienteering run sounded fun, especially with not having to do any map reading - I have the directional sense of a butternut squash, so would probably be more of a hindrance than a help!

Incredible run Simon - a PB and first place!! Wow. I can't imagine running at your pace. As for the new trainer smell, oooh yes... I always have a good sniff of new trainers, because I know that's probably the last time I'll want to put my nose anywhere near them.

Race report to follow as post is too long...

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Pleased to report that I ran a 5k PB too last night - although much, much slower! (Alehouse - it was the Birmingham Rowheath 5k). There were 4 Tipton ladies running, but I was the only one who chose not wear a vest (declaring that 'the vest makes me stressed'). Note: I should clarify here that I wore something else instead. It was two laps of an undulating course, which started on a downhill - given that I already have a tendency to charge off too quickly, I started at a pace I can only dream of one day maintaining a) on the flat and b) for a whole mile.  Nevertheless I was very excited when the Shiny New Garmin registered a mile pace beginning with a 5 for over a minute.

First lap was done in about 10 mins, and someone from my club (whose daughter was running) shouted that I was on course for 20 minutes. I was already breathing like a telephone pervert by this point so knew that wasn't going to happen - but I continued to run hard, thinking that I'd tolerate the pain for as long as I could. And it hurt.

After the downhill section the course was steady, then there was a climb - I was surprised at the difference in pace between the easier/harder sections, but concentrated on maintaining effort rather than pace (I thought of a tip NZC had given me and took advantage of the 'free' downhills). The second lap was slower, and I crossed the line in 22:28 - 1 min faster than my official PB of 23:30, and 19 secs faster than my 5k split in the London 10k. Given the course and how hard I felt I was working, I'm very pleased with that. Our other girls finished 1st, 2nd and 8th, so a good night for the club too. Will definitely do the next one in the series in a month's time - especially as they were kind enough to let me have a number with an 8 in it.

So, I arrived home bubbling with excitement, looked in the letterbox... and there it was, the thing I'd wanted more than anything in the world since 2006. My GFA entry form for next year's VLM. I knew last October that it was mine of course, but holding the form in my hand made it all very real. Just over a year and a half ago, I'd just run a 4:30 marathon and my then boyfriend told me I probably wouldn't go sub-4 again because at my age I was 'past my best'. A couple of months later I went for a coffee with my nemesis-to-be, who told me I was doing myself a disservice and could do better (he was talking about the running but I think he meant the bf too). Glad I listened to the latter image Oh, and my number doesn't have an 8 in it, but it does have a 13 which is the new bf's lucky number. Good omens.

What: Nothing

Why: Monstered after third race in 12 days

Last hard: Last night

Last rest: Monday

Lyrics: No

Enjoy your Crunchies everyone - I had mine for second breakfast.

• Fantastic MadameO - well raced! You'll have to start wearing that vest if you're going to score for the team prize image I'm currently debating whether to send off for a GFA form or not. Don't really think I deserve it as still haven't gone sub 3.45 which has been my target for a while or if I'd really enjoy the whole VLM experience but 2012 seems like a good year if I were going to........

Survived the dentist without either crying or hitting him which is a definite improvement for me! He told me not to run today in case I grind or clench my teeth and upset the filling but I didn't think that's likely on an easy run is it?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: Longer commute to work d&d
    Longer ride home
    Why: Crunchie Friday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 28th March
    Lyrics: No

I had my crunchie with breakfast :¬)
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Ugh ouch, dentist ... LMUH. Bet you are glad it's over and done with.

Ace 5k, Madame O and a great report. That ex of yours sounds like a tosser image. Was he a runner or just a little know-it-all?

stickless: you probably won't see this but I wish you best of luck. I hope you have a great time.

Well, I decided I needed a lie-in this morning. I felt knackered. I did 40 miles in the last 4 days and 2sessions were hard ones. Feeling much better after an extra 2 hrs sleep this morning, so will probably do something tonight if I can get out of here early. 

No on the lyrics front. I googled and am none the wiser.

Enjoy your crunchies. 

We have a bank holiday weekend, so it's a short week next week image
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

LMUH - Thats a first for me an extraction i'd understand but a filling (but i'm not a dentist) if you have earned the right to get the GFA form i'd go for it  you deserve it

Madame O Well done on your 5km pb

Simon well done to you too

Physio yesterday was good arm strength is good so haven't lost a great deal of strength though saying that not strong enough to lift heavy objects yet so no planks or press ups yet. Got some exercises to do its a case of using my arms when i can but not doing anything silly. No cartwheels either

Just been out for a cycle got permission just round the block to test arm survived ok didn't fall off could feel it in my arm a little just got to build up only did 5 minutes no ore than 10

a run walk later post details when done

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    MadameO - congratulations on your PB. Your running has come a long way in the past couple of years. I'm delighted for you.

Did the 5.4M as promised, a nice lazy dawdle. I'd much rather take a recovery run than a rest day, as there's something quite joyous about going for a run and leaving your will power at home!

I think I'm going to be apologising for the obscure nature of the lyrics tomorrowimage
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Ah Tom, I got the lyrics today - not that I was a big fan of them... but that's a good song!! image

MadameO - Super run - well done on smashing your pb like that - great stuff.

Nothing for me today - likely to be a 10K race tomorrow and another on Sunday.  Maybe.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

nice one pammie, you'll soon be back to it

madame0 wow, what a lovely pb and the GFA letter too, happy for you!!

chickadee, its good to rest sometimes eh?

what: cycled 20.77 miles to be precise, to work, have to cycle back again later

why: need to exercise off some fat and I do love my bike!

last hard: this morning

last easy: monday

have a great weekend all, I will be doing my first park run tomorrow morning and a club fun 2 mile sunday, thats me!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Birks - I;ll have you running the Marathon yet!

Madame - Nice effort - your best days of marathon running are still to come - i wish had as many years to come at it as you have - that was surely bad advise you got!!!!

Nothing today - rest. After 12 consecutive days - I know that thats not many but it was kicked off with a marathon!!
  • Well done Madame O - Great running you too!!...we love PB's. Agree about the ex - loads of encouragement (not)!!

Got the easy 5 miler in this lunchtime - looking out now over a dark west London, looks like it was inbetween Thunderstorms!!

• Oh and Simon - great 5k!!!!!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Blimey missed that 5km

15.43 :¬0 !!!!!!!!!!!
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone image After how much it hurt though my eyes are watering at the thought of 15:xx - my throat felt like I'd been drinking paint stripper as it was!

The tosser ex in question wasn't a runner, no - just an idiot who liked to put me down in sly little ways so that he could erode my confidence bit by bit and take as much as he could. Since we broke up in March last year my physical and mental health have improved no end - hence the improved running!

Glad the dentist went ok LMUH, and the GFA - you have a qualifying time so therefore you deserve it! Go for it - if you change your mind later you can always defer.

Chickadeee, sounds like your body was telling you something. Don't feel bad if today becomes a rest day - sounds like you've earned it, and I always find I run a lot stronger if I rest following a heavy few days.

Good news from the physio Pammie!

Good luck Don and Wabo. Anyone else racing this weekend?

• Paddy: Many years ago I volunteered to run a half marathon distance for charity in work (in the Great Harbour, perch). donshaw will know where I mean. I only counted the 'up' 800m of the loop !

Of  course I had to run the 800m down loop 27 laps of it . I decide that 27 x 800m gave me the half marathon distance.

It took me about 5 laps to work it out...imageimage

The next day I had to walk backwards down the steps from our 3rd floor flat.

MadameO Well done on pb

donshaw: All the best with your weekend racing.

• Not been on here for years!!! Good to still see a few familiar names around.

But, just in passing...Tom, yip got the lyrics!!! You're maybe not too surprised.

Ta-ra for now.

• Hi Scobos - still winning races up in Scotland?

Madame O - well deserved PB - nice to see that mile with the 5 in front of it! You're doing it girl!! Lots more to come.

LMUH - you must go for the GFA entry - never take anything forgranted - we never know what might be around the corner, life sometimes gets in the way, no time like the present. Always good to look back with no regrets.

Pammie - good to see you back on the bike too, your confidence is returning.

What: 3 miles easy with Mae - raining but not cold.

Good running everyone.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Scobos et al: Watched a quirky Scottish movie on DVD tonight "Restless Natives", very much in the same mould as the two Bill Forsythe classicss "Gregory's Girl" and "Comfort and Joy". What it does have however is a superb soundtrack by Stuart Adamson and Big Country..

The lyrics were "Dance Called America" by Runrig.

Next time round I'll see if I can dig up something by The Saw Doctors or Goats Don't Shave for Paddy.