Options

Too fat to run now

Comments

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I am baking.
    Family funeral tomorrow and ma is hosting the wake so I busy cooking for her. It's the nicest my house has smelt since last Christmas dinner!!
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    << watches the tumbleweed blow through >>
  • Options

Helloooooooooooooooooo

Limper, the word 'baking' alerted me, sorry about the family funeral tho'

Tippy, the majority of new houses here are now timber framed....so no excuses now, get Limpers 4 bed shed built.......image

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Speedy, you've had a bad time, floods, fires etc eeeek, are you sorted now?

'puter still playing up, I have to open it on the correct angle so screen doesn't go multicoloured! Hope to send it off next week, and the when sorted mini Bodjit is going to have it and I am going to acquire a shiny one this w/end....maybe!

Limper our garden is sooo bad if you want to come here and practice gardening skills, feel free image

• Options

Bodjit: new puter image.

Limper; Sorry to hear about family funeral. (Big Hug)

How is dawg and neddie??

Start Mara training this week, with Reading Eagle, have set a few goals so we can enjoy ourselves.

Goal 1 for June run 10 miles

Goal 2 for July run 15 Miles

Goal 3 for August run 20 miles

and so on till we get to 25 miles then we can run 20's and 25's as we are nuts

Hello Speedy

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Thanks for the funeral sympathies folks. There were some of those bizarre moments that can only happen at extended family gatherings - I might bore you with them in due course. For now though things are a bit "Warghhhhhhhhhh" to say the least and I won't be around for a couple of days.
    Tomorrow is South Down marathon, immediately after which I have to grab Dawg and my tent and drive a very long way, camp overnight (dunno where yet) and drive back again at silly o clock on Sunday!
    After which I may be even madder than usual for a few days!!

Tippy - don't forget that as well as running those distances you and Eagle need to train to carry a ten stone frog between you! Actually, could you run Pompey mara with a sedan chair between you for me to ride in?! We can be a novelty team!!

Gotta go... I have a race bag to pack - a tent to pack - a car-journey-survival bag to pack - a dog bag to pack - a picnic to pack... you get the idea? I've got some packing to do!

Hugs hugs hugs.

• Options

Limper.....good luck, and I hope you have packed.........wait to red your report image

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

The deed is done. 4hrs:55mins. No blisters. No injuries.
    Now for my travelling challenge!

Tippy - met a 'friend' of yours (I dunno if he's a friend or not, but he seemed very pleasant!). Next time you see 'Tom' at running club ask him about his strange techniques for getting a woman down on the ground and offering to massage him!!!

All being well see you tomorrow night folks.

• Options
    Limper: was Tom an elderly gent?
    Was thinking of you when out running this morning.
    Well done, you deserve a massage and big hug.
  • Options

Well done Limper.  I am proud of you.  You did great,

Hope things are going ok with the camping and such.

Bodjit have you the new computer yet?

Welcome home Tippyt/

Life been bit pants last few weeks.  Still got no hot water tank as cant afford the £800 to put in a new one image

Weigh stayed the same lately  but its still a 11lb weight lose.

Rather down as not sure about running again and very down. Knees very sore.  In fact they even wake me up during the night if I turn over.  Stairs are murder.  I am still far too over weight to plod.  I know I want to but my body says no.  What do I do,  I really want to manage London next year and am rather worried,  I am 7 stone overweight.  So going by a normal person, when do you think I am safe to try plodding?  Dont really want to post actual weight but as I am 57 years old, 5'3" in height and admitting to being 7 stone over weight what is the prognosis of running again.  Feel rather deflated at the moment.

On a bright side it is only 11 days to Bon Jovi concert and 13 days to Take That concert image

Hope you are all fine

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

The weight and knee pain and un-fitness are all part of the same vicious circle Speedy. What you have to do (and only YOU can do this) is turn that circle inside-out so that it becomes a positive cycle of progress.
    Keep working hard at your diet - and remember this is important for your pain management now and for your long term health so it is worth the hard work that it takes.
    Try to follow a programme of 'proper' walking - a good stiff power walk - on a regular basis. It will give you a good base strength to resume running and will help with your weight and with your mood.
    Do static quad exercises three or four times a day to strengthen up those muscles as they will take the strain off your knee joints.
    And pat yourself on the back for the 11 pounds that you have lost. That is an excellent result. Keep going.

Tippy - I was thinking of you as I ran as well! I was thinking about you rescuing me at Pompey mara 6 months ago!
    It was Tom the elderly gent BTW! (Vet 74 I believe). We spent a lot of the first 15 miles or so 'bumping' in to each other and I was around to provide some TLC when he took a bad tumble. Give him my best when you next see him - he knows me by my first name. (We didn't gossip about you BTW! We didn't have enough breath for that!).

I haven't been to sleep since Friday night! And that wasn't a good kip what with it being pre-marathon.
    I managed my car journey straight after the mara OK and instead of having to camp, Dawg and I found a floor to sleep on! However, sleep was impossible as Dawg was stressed about the surroundings and I always struggle to let go after a marathon. The Limpette's reappeared at 4am and we set off on our return journey with none of us having slept at all. I had to pull off the road at 5am before I became dangerous, but after a brief rest I manged to get us home in one piece.
    Now I'd like to go to bed!!

• Options
    Limper. Will pass your wishes on. Tom is a nice chap.
    I would gladly run back for you again limper, but this time you have 2 gents to carry you over the line( not litteraly)
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Oh I hope they will carry me over the line Tippy. I'm banking on it!
    I'll never keep up with you and Eagle though so will just have to look forward to my special reception committee!

I'm really suffering today! My ankles ache soooo much and I've got a splitting headache from the other aspects of the weekend. Luckily I've got the day off work though and not too many tasks to get done.

Hope everyone is OK today.
    xxx

• Options

Limper: we are sticking together as we are all out for a pleasant jog,

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

It'll be a pleasant walk for you then Tips if you're going at my pace!

My official time is six minutes slower than my watch time. That must be how long I sat on the ground canoodling with Tom then!!

Headache gone. Ankles - arghhhhhhhhhh.

• Options
    I will have words with Tom, canoodling for six minutes what is the club coming to...... lol
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

I take my chances where I can Tippy!!!

Back to work today. My l'il legs are fine now but my feet / ankles are still really painful. I feel like I can't put my foot flat on the floor. I'm sure it will have settled by the end of the day though.

Everyone alright? How are you doing Speedy?

• Options
    Evening. How are you Limper. I hope you have recovered.

I have been a bad tempered sod this week. Pissed off at work and home. Just been one of these weeks and it's only Tuesday.

Did 5 mile walk with 2 steep up hill sections on Sunday and my knees are aching. Legs tired. In fact I just feel permanently tired.

Off to caravan Fri afternoon till Sunday night. Got weigh in Thurs first though. 11lbs lost so far. Am aiming for my stone by end of month. So walking planned even if raining at weekend. Start back to geocaching again so lots of walking involved.

Limper What do you mean by static quad exercises? When is your next marathon? I must get moving more or next April will be here before I know it.

Bodjit how are you?

Bodjit how are you? What are you up to?
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

I'm fully recovered thanks Speedy. Not a single twinge or tweak now.
    I've got some 10 milers and some half maras over the summer and then my next full marathon is towards the end of September. I'd like to do more but I can't afford the entry fees or the travelling so I have to limit myself.

Static quads - legs out in front of you whilst lying / reclining on the bed and push your knee into the mattress as though you are trying to squash something. Hold for at least 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times. Build up how long you can hold each repetition rather than adding on extra ones.
    Inner range quads - on the bed put a rolled pillow under your knee, rest your leg onto it and straighten your knee to raise your heel from the bed. 10 x 10 seconds as above. In a chair, extend your leg out straight in front of you, hold for 10 seconds, lower your foot very carefully as though you are going down onto an egg that you mustn't break.
    Both exercises - pull your toes up towards you to increase the stretch at the same time.
    "A joint is only as strong as the soft tissue that supports it".

• Options
    Oh no for the first time we have dropped to second page. That's terrible.

Please folks don't let that happen

Thanks Limper. Found myself trying one jn bed last night.

Now at caravan. Was a bit of a drive aftr work - 100 miles - hubby came yesterday. Tired now.

Hopping to get couple good walks in over weekend. Trying to get fit to plod.

Races ain't cheap Limper. I know when kids where young and at home I couldn't afford all the races I would have liked to do.

Hope you all have a good weekend.
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Six mile cross country in the pouring rain this morning. With Dawg. The footpaths are so overgrown that I have thorn slashes and stinging nettle rash all the way up my arms and legs. And I was drenched from top to bottom and from bottom to top!

Hope you had a nice weekend in your van Speedy.

• Options

Hi folks, can I sneak in and join you?

Did attempt to read whole thread but managed 15pages at the start and 9 pages at the end and decided there was no way I would manage to read the other 1790pages unless I gave up work. 

I am 38 year old female, 5' 7", currently 2.5stone overweight after losing 4stone 4lb over the last 2 years. This is my 2nd go at weightloss image, was 10 stone 15 years ago then put on 2.5stone during pregnancy and another 2 stone in the few years that followed. I took up running about 8 years ago and lost it all getting back down to 10st 4lb, but it didn't last. I slowly gained again (after promising myself that wouldn't happen to me) and then after having another baby 3 years ago I reached my all time 'low' of 16st 10lb. I have continued to run sporadically through all my weightloss/gains but have found that I have to run lots and be very focused in order to keep on the weightloss path. 

Speedy- I think I knew you on another thread many years ago as recognise your name and many of the posters from the beginning of this thread, maybe LoK's weightloss thread???

Your thread really struck a chord with me as I have been where you are 7 stone overweight and just despairing over how the hell I'm ever going to get the weight off. When I first started running 8 years ago I had never done any kind of exercise and I used to run at 5am, partly because I worked from 6:45 til 6:15 (I'm a childminder) but really mainly because I liked to be out in the dark when no-one would see me. When I started running again after having baby number two and reaching 16st 10lb I ran in the mornings too and when I went for my 1st afternoon run in full view of teenagers I thought I was going to have a full on panic attack, the teenagers never batted an eyelid. Now I never run in the morning, even though I'm still overweight and totally ashamed of how I look in lycra after seeing my marathonphoto.com pics and video of EMF half marathon. I don't care, I can run for 22km without stopping and I will be slim again. I am stronger and fitter than everyone I know, even my running buddy, we do our long runs together and a mid week interval run but I run more miles every week than she does.

My running buddy, like you, has a bad knee and has been to physio etc and like many have said on here before the best thing for it is exercises. Starting off like Limper suggested above and building to squats and eventually single leg squats. I do 20 single leg squats on each leg after every run and have noticed a big difference. Best advice I have had for single leg squats is to either do them using a swiss ball to support raised leg (kneel on ball with your nonsupporting leg and squat with the other leg) or to do them in front of sofa or low wall, back to wall/sofa and rest the foot of your nonsupporting leg on the wall or sofa http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/FYWB_pdfs/X33170.pdf, just seems to help with the knee alignment and enables me to do much deeper squats than I can just balancing on one leg.

continued.......
  • Options

I am currently going through one of my can't be ar$ed counting calories/weighing stuff periods. Usually that results in weight gain for me but so far my weight has been stable, no loss for last month but no gain. This week though I have discovered a great tool for keeping me away from the biscuits and crisps, I picture my marathonphotos.com pics/video everytime I want something fatty and it has been working. I was truly horrified when I seen that video, I bounced across that finish line (in a bl**dy good time I might add, a pb, even though only other half marathon I have run was 6 years ago when I was skinny, did it in 2hrs 9 mins)bits of me wobbling everywhere, I really thought I was looking not too bad until I seen that. So I am determined that I will get some more weight off before my next half marathon in Sept (GSR) and not be as bouncy and wobbly when I cross that finish line. I would be over the moon if I could do that without all the meticulous weighing and calorie counting which gets very tedious, but will see how weight loss goes this week.

Sorry this does go on a bit but wanted to introduce myself properly.

My plans for next two years are get remaining weight off, get a pb at next half despite it being a hilly one and my last one being flat. Then run EMF marathon May next year another marathon later in yr, not decided which one yet and then I really really want to do some ultras. Figure if I keep in at the long distances and high mileage training I will keep the weight off without having to be obssessive about my diet all the time, that's the hope anyway. 

My knees still hurt going up/down stairs but now it's because they are tired from all the running I do and not because the are humphing an excess 7 stone up/downstairs, that makes me feel good. 

TT ;0)
  • Options

Evening all.  Back from caravan where did two reasonable walks and got totally soaked on both.  Two very wet Yorkies.  Max looked liked a drowned rat.  Had a terrible hangover on Saturday and ended up back in bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon,  Self inflicted. Shame the weather was so bad as we havelots of nice walks on the doorstep butits no fun in such heavy rain.  Poor Max gets miserable.  You should see him when we come across a path that has a puddle right across it,  he stops and you can see him thinking just how he gets round it without getting his paws wet....lol

Back at work today worse luck but only tomorrow to go and then off till Saturday.  Bon Jovi on Wednesday and Take That on Saturday - now have I told you that before image

Hi TT.  Yes I was on Lok's weightloss thread and I do seem to remember your name.

Good on you for the weight loss and for keeping up the running,  You are doing well. 

I too have been a lot lighter and gaining weight is easy its the losing it that is hard.  I have run some good times in my hey day and would love to just run again.  I am too many years down the line to get a good time now and as limper and Bodjit on here would tell you that is my mental block.  I feel that because I cant do the good times why bother which is so so wrong of me.  Now I am scared that I am getting too old to do anything at all.  Is 57 to old to start again?

I like your thoughts on running in the dark in case you are seen.  I am terrified the kids will shout at me and ridicule me but I cant run in the morning as I would need to get up at 5am and I just cant struggle up then.   My little village is too small not to be seen.  I keepthinking of driving somewhere to run but havent done it yet.

Limper's advice to me was good about starting walking and speeding up to a quick walk which is what I am trying just now,

You are very welcome to come on here and join in with us.

What has everyone got planned this week then?

• Options
    Speedy. I am catching up on sleep as was out till 4.00am sunday. Have the usual things planned a few runs and training.

Limper. Hope you have dried out.
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

You dirty old stop-out Tiptoes. You'll turn into a pumpkin y'know. image

Well done for your soggy walks Speedy. You'll have to get one of those chav-bag thingies to carry Max in!!
    You are NOT old. For goodness sake woman!!
    You know deep down that the times no longer matter with running. What matters (in no particular order) is that you stop worrying about other people, you start feeling better about yourself, you look after what you've got.
    Don't think yourself old at 57 Speedy. It's not necessary and it's not right. You've got years of active life ahead of you yet.
    << all said in a kind and encouraging voice!! >>

Hello Twirly  << waves from a very soggy lily-pad >>

I just went to pack my trainers so that I can run home from work tonight and found that they are still sitting in a puddle in the porch. Whoops! I think I'll drive home instead!

It's Mid-Summer today. Hahahahahaha.

• Options

Speedy- evening times last night had spread on the men's 10k that was run in Glasgow on Father's day, their was an 83 year old man who ran it in under an hourimage. My women's 10k time this year was 60:12, but I don't think 'well I might as well give up if an 83 year old man can beat me', I think 'wow if he can do that then I definitely can'. What you need to try doing is blocking the negative thoughts in your head and replacing them with positive thought, every time you tell yourself something negative you must come up with two positives to oppose that negative thought.

I constantly read of people in RW mag who run great times and they didn't even start running til they were in their 50's or 60's. Even myself running a half marathon pb, six years after my last half marathon and 2.5stone heavier. That just spurs me on even more, I know I must be capable of running even better once I get the rest of the pounds off. I have only just begun speed training 4 weeks ago too. My pb for a 10k 6years ago was 57:xx so I know I must be capable of beating that too if I can beat my half marathon time. Oh and I was overtaken at the half marathon about a mile from finish by a man in his late 70's. I didn't think oh God just give up now woman, I though wow I want to be like him.

My other major motivation for being fit and healthy is my kids, I want them to look at me and think I want to be like her. Because it should be embarrasing to know your elderly mother is fitter than you, so I hope that will be a motivation to my girls. My Mum is disabled and can't run, so my motivation comes from her in a different form, I run because she can't and I have no right to waste a healthy capable body. Plus there is always the worry in the back of my mind that I will get ill like her and if that happens I want my body to be as fit as it can be from the start (she has had very severe Rheumatoid and Psoriatic Arthritis since she was 30 and has just discovered she needs heart valve replacement as she got rheumatic fever recently due to the immune suppressant drugs she is on-she was 56 yesterday). Even my Mum with all her pain and suffering and replacement knees/hips/shoulders/finger joints, owns a treadmil. When she feels able to she walks on it. She figures she's in pain anyway so she might as well and if she builds up the muscles round her joints then maybe she will be in slightly less pain long term. If she can do that I can do anything and I owe it to my girls to teach them that they can achieve anything too (they are 3 and almost 15), I don't want them to look at me fat and unfit and think 'is that what my future holds?'.

Sorry another novel thereimage, honestly I don't post big long posts on other threads.I obviously have a lot to say on this matter LOL. Subject close to my heart and all that.......

TT ;0)

• Options

Believe me too, I know how bl**dy hard weightloss is. It took me a year to lose the 1st 3stone then I spent a year gaining and losing the same half a stone and it has taken me a further 6 months to lose the next 18lbs. So I know the next 34lb is not going to be an easy road. It would be so easy to just say feck it I'm just going to eat what I like and give up. But I know I would never be happy with myself, I know I can't face the rest of my days looking in the mirror or seeing photos and hating myself. I HAVE to do this for ME, for my own mental health and self esteem. Because I am a strong, slim, confident women being buried alive under layers of my own fat and I will never give up fighting to get free.

TT ;0)