Mums Running Club

Comments

• JT - great memory. yes i was decaff when pregnant with J!
  • I'm NOT preg- trusty mirena to ensure that NEVER happens again!

Happy Birthday Tatty B xxxxx

decaff- great when preg/ feeding but now I'm starting to actually purposely drink a strong coffee before a race (certainly helps avoid the loo probs as it makes me go before the start!!). Off to work (if I manage a whole day, back later!)

• Me too Camlo. I hardly drink any caffeine, just one cup of caf coffee a day and then decaf tea after 12pm or chamomile tea, so caffeine works a treat on me for races image.

Still raining image. Am getting rather worried about camping now image. Everyone pray for dry weather from Thursday onwards image!!!

Happy birthday to TB!!

Annoyingly if hubbie's Mum could run and help she would. Sadly she is in a wheelchair so most they can do is have the boys for us for one night as they are pretty easy now. They couldn't have Sophie for more than a couple of hours though.

I get funny looks from my Mum if I ask to go for a run when I'm staying with her. I could get up at 6am like I do here, but kind of think maybe she could help me out for an hour so I don't have to. So I put S to bed for her nap at 11am instead of after lunch and went then so that she didn't have all of them. She seemed happier about that!!

• MM - i have the same problem with my parents. even though they are very able bodied (dad still runs marathons and mum is fit too), they find looking after my 2 such hard work. i can't even leave them to look after my 2 while i go for a run as mum is inevitably stringing one or both of them up by the time i get back. i got back from a run the last time i dared to go out, and E was upstairs in her cot screaming the place down as she had been really naughty apparently. my dad had freaked at her and taken her upstairs and dumped her in the cot. and mum always loses it with J - she is forever shouting at him. i don't like it one bit. FGS, they are grandparents. they are supposed to be chilled and laid back and let the kids get away with everything. instead they are jumping down their throats all the time, telling them off and rising to everything the kids do / say. it stresses me out no end. added to that the fact that mum is constantly telling me i don't cope, and it's no wonder i'm not really missing not having them around at the moment.

hopsital appt with E was fine. she thinks there is an improvement in her vision with the glasses (errr... surely that's the point) but possibly not quite as much as there should be, so another appt in 8 weeks and maybe a new stronger presciption. she has said her prescription is already quite strong (which i hadn't realised - it is +4, but i don't know anything about long-sightedness) and sometimes with the stronger prescriptions it takes a while for the vision to adjust.

• oh and she has given us another presciption so we can get a spare pair of NHS glasses for when she breaks them again! image

• Oh thats fab CM. We also have now have two pairs, invaluable especially for hols etc. So silly you have to wait for the 2nd year to get it mind.

My Mum never really shouts at the boys and is fab with them but just thinks its going to be an awful task looking after them all, so gives me such down trodden expressions and looks when I ask, but then she really enjoys it every time. Sophie the same really she just thinks she won't cope she prefers it if S is in bed, although I know she would be fine.

My brother is going to be looking after all 3 for 8 hours in 3 weeks, and am sure he will cope. In fact he is adamant he will cope image!!

• gosh, that's brave of your brother! the kids will love it.

J is really missing my parents. and E keeps talking about them too. J was busy telling C this morning that my parents were coming to his bday party. i felt very image about that, as i have no idea whether they will. knowing them they have probably deliberately organised something that weekend so they will have to either make a very flying visit or only one of them will be able to come or something...

i know how important the relationship with g-ps is for little ones. and in spite of my parents' lack of tolerance, the kids do love them. i don't really know what to do with the situation with my folks at the moment. i feel VERY ill-disposed towards them and don't want to put myself back in the firing line. on the other hand, J and E are missing out and i don't want to do that to them. i guess i will have to bite the bullet and suggest some form of contact, but honestly i had hoped that they might be the first ones to do that. doesn't look like it.

• Its very hard CM. I am still having major dilemma's about my step-Dad. The boys still ask after him although it is noticeably less now than it used to be. Harry especially really misses him. They have been told he has gone away for a long time, when in fact he lives only 30 mins away and is constantly dropping round things, and leaving on the doorstep, he picks up for them from the charity shop he works in. Trouble is I have suggested twice he could come over for a cuppa, which took a lot of persuasion, as hubbie dead against any contact. Both times Dad refused saying he was too busy, and yet he wants to see them. Again only when its convenient to him, not the other way round.

All so hard isn't it?

• Hi

I had my 2nd last july and that is why i started running, i tried before fell pregnant but had a mc so when i became pregnant again i did hardly any exercise as i was terrified i'd lose it again,so now nearly 1yr on i'm about to do my first 5k in the race for life, yep 1yr on, havent achieved much but have been plagued with one thing after another, first shin splints then knee problems, etc.....but i think now i am ok image

I fit my running in around my hubby's shifts, when he's on earlies i go when he gets back,if he's on lates i'll go in the morning, works out ok, i just go when i can,

How is everyone else doing ?  I'm sorry but i didn't read all the threads, there are too many !!!  image

• Hi Nikki, welcome to the thread!

MM- why is your hubby dead against contact? As far as I can remember your step-dad has never done anything to hurt the children or that would lead to believe he might be of any risk to the kids. I know he has let you all down and is being a pig to your Mum (hope i've got right person), but from what I remember he hasn't done anything to warrant being cut out of the kids lives. Pity he has turned down your offers though, does seem strange when he goes to the bother of dropping off stuff for the kids.

I had to cut my step-dad out of my daughters life because of horrible circumstances (don't even want to go into it again, sure most people will remember), but suffice to say I had every reason to believe that he could be at risk of harming my daughter. She was only 6 at the time and he was her Grandpa and it broke her heart and mine to have to do it, but I know it was the right thing to do. Now at almost 15 she knows he did something bad and that he went to prison for 2 months and that he still lives with her Grandma, but she doesn't know what he did, only that we have no contact with him. She doesn't seemed bothered by it at all now, too long ago for her to have any emotional attachment. Unlike me who hates him with every bone in my body. I despise him for the hurt he caused my Mum, for what he is and what he did, for breaking my little girls heart,for putting me in the position that I will have to tell her what he did one day because even when she is grown up and he poses no risk to her she might have children of her own and I never want them around him either and for meaning I can never just pop in to visit my Mum and my children can't ever stay with their Grandma. AAARRRGGGHHHH!

TT ;0)

• Can someone else suggest runninfree as a friend to me on facebook? I've tried linking with her through the group but just keeps coming up 'cannot connect to this profile'.

TT ;0)

• TT - that is awful. truly awful. image. and awful that it means you can't just have a normal relationship with your mum, either.

had a 'big boy' moment with J today. promised him ice cream from the corner shop if he ate all his tea tonight. he sat down and literally cleared his plate (salmon, spaghetti in a tomato and vegetable sauce, brocolli, peas and carrots). he ate every last thing on his plate. E on the other hand touched none of hers. rather than have a scene in the shop where i bought J an ice-cream but E didn't get one, i decided to stand on the front doorstep (with E screaming on my hip) and watch him walk to the shop. it is literally next door but one to my house and i can see the door from my front doorstep. so no harm was going to come to him as i would see anyone trying to leave with him anyway.

he ran down, ran in, chose his ice cream, paid and ran back out again with a HUGE grin on his face. as soon as E saw the ice cream, she said 'i eating my tea now', and she did! not all of it, but enough to qualify for an ice cream. so J got to repeat his visit to buy his sister an ice cream, since he enjoyed it so much the first time. he ran back in again and then said 'do you want one mummy? i can always go and get you one. i don't mind at all'.  think it was just another excuse to go to the shop!

i'll be sending him down for my bottle of wine next image

• My sister has been in the UK for a wk for work - the wk end before last she and her colleague stayed with us for 3 days, then they were working for a wk, then last wk end we were all at my dad's in wiltshire, before they both left for the airport - sister back to america and colleague to Amsterdam for another conference - anyway, the point of this is, I just had an e mail from my sis to say her friend has been hit by a car in amsterdam - she apparently called her dad from the ambulance and has head, foot and ankle injuries, but we don't know anymore than that! It just seems mad - I saw her yesterday! She is such a lovely person, played with Matilda non stop, and now she is lying in a hospital in Amsterdam.........
  • oh caro - that sounds awful. what a horrid shock. hopefully if she was ok to call her dad, her injuries won't be too severe. but how truly shocking.
  • my mum is ace... shame she lives in london as she will do anything she can to help even though she works full time and is busy herself.  my bro takes the mickey a bit though, last 2 years him and his wife have gone off on hols alone while the big family holiday is on leaving my mum struggling to look after 2 under 4 who are missing thier parents, clingy to her , dont sleep and not the best behaved at the best of times!  Meant she didnt get any fun time with her grandchildren this year, just spent the week sorting out problems, she looked hanging at the end of the week despite the rest of us trying to help as best we could.  think i may need to have word with him as mum would never say it was hard work!

MIL is also lovely but so worried about interfering she will never just come over or even let us know she is in town, makes it a bit tricky as OH is useless at inviting her over etc so consequently we dont see nearly enough of her.

why do families have to be so complicated? sounds like some tough situations you are all in.  One advantage of all the splitting up and remarrying in my family is the girls have got 8 grandparents to spoil them.... makes family events a little awkward though trying to work out who to invite to what without sparks flying!!

loving the big boy moment CM, I think its great for kids to have a taste of responsibility and independance, cant wait til i can send my 2 to the local shop!!

Welcome Nikki! 

Well done to all that ran/ raced in the pouring rain... i wimped out and now cant run as R away for most of the week.  serves me right for being a woos!

School situation going nowhere.... we have just heard they will not open another class at local school due to H & S problems and looks like other options proposed to create extra classes will not be going ahead for this sept either.  The Lea really need to sort themselves out, apparently will need the equivalent of 14 new schools in the next 5 years to provide school places for all children!  It looks like we are now 1 & 2 on the waiting list after second round offers but this isnt much good to us as the chances of 2 places coming up at once are remote, so i guess it is all down to the appeal now.

• sorry caro... that took me so long to write x post.... hope all is ok x
  • Oh dear- hate to hear about accidents. Eldest flew back from Amsterdam today, he was asked for a ciggie but didn't have any so a huge black man (his words) gave him a huge shove and he hit his head loosing his memory for a whole day (apparently it was better by the evening so didn't stop him drinking!).

Hi Nikki- hope you manage to find time to build up to your race, it is tough with little ones about.

CM- That is a proper milestone!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder he was so chuffed, and hopefully E will know to eat quicker too next time!

Schools- Hetty can you somehow make your children more attractive to your preferred school, offer to sit in a bath of beans every yr to raise PTA funds, say your kids are excellent at sport and will win awards for their school?? How they expect you to drive by on route to another school is beyond and the thought of splitting them is insane!

Still feel rubbish so no running for a while I guess but at least I did a full day at work and managed to change Archie's dressings tonight with help from eldest.

• That is awful about your sister's friend Caro, hope her injuries are not too serious and she his up and home soon.

CM - yeah to big boy shop visits, so cute!

Hetty- my eldest did have 6 grandparents for most of her childhood as she had both my parents and their partners and hubby's parents. However we now only really have 3, my stepdad out the picture (see above) and hubby's parents moved. They originally lived 75miles away and we visited every 2nd Sunday but they now live a few hrs drive away and have never made any effort to visit us, we gave up making all the effort when I was really sick while pregnant with Camryn and they have never even met her. Due to their complete disinterest in meeting their granddaughter I have no wish to ever see them again to be honest, and hubby really couldn't give a jot either. None of Hubby's family have met Camryn, he has a brother and a sister, strange folk. I can't imagine not making the effort to see my neice/nephew if my brother became a Dad. In fact this is now the 3rd year in a row that his sister hasn't sent a birthday card for Camryn, altho she sends one for Natimage.

Fortunately my Dad and Stepmum are fabulous Grandparents who would drop everything and drive any distance to see kids/ help out. My Dad often just pops in if he is passing or they will drop by and take kids out to park for an ice cream or away to safari park for the day, plus we go to theirs every two weeks for Sunday dinner. My Mum isn't as able due to her disabilities but we do see her every week and she does as much as she can and adores the girls. (Sadly I know if she was fit and healthy she would not be with my ex-stepfather and she would spend a lot more time with the girls, they would be over at hers all the time spending weekends there etc.) 

TT;0)

• JT- can't beat a good chiropractor, my Dad happens to be good friends with a chiropractor who is chiropractor to 4 Scottish premier division football clubs including Celtic, he is a God in my eyes. The pain that man has saved me from, also got a whole day free of 'morning sickness' when he fixed my back while I was pregnant.

TT ;0)

• tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭

Oh goodness - I just can't keep up!!  image

MM - we are going camping this weekend too to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.  There are going to be 34 of us (24 grown-ups, 10 kids all 4 or less) - it's going to be fun but I really hope the weather perks up a bit.   

Vixo - to be honest I haven't really decided about the baby jogger.  It has been languishing but then I took E out for a jaunt round the woods yesterday morning at 7:30am (he has been waking at 6am for weeks - am knackered!) and really enjoyed it.  Don't think he did though - he slept till 8 this morning for the first time in ages image  He doesn't seem to enjoy it the way Z did but I think that's because he is more active, plus I just don't get the opportunity to use it like I did when it was just Z.    So.  On balance I think that yes - I am up for selling it.  Plus, we are going to have a LOT of stuff to buy in IKEA so we will be down your way image  Make me an offer?   

New house is good.  We are settling in nicely still.  Got all our stuff on Wednesday (apols if I've said that already) and so are now in the throes of unpacking.   Such joy!  Loving the big garden & the crazy outbuildings, but the house is great too - even if the kitchen doesn't quite have enough cupboards for my collection of underused gadgetry image

Haven't done much running.  Went out last Friday finally to try myself out after the chiro - tweaked something in my right leg.  Chiro said that was normal as now fixed one side other side acting up.  He fixed something else and it all felt much better yesterday - although I feel so unfit.   Have really let things slide.  

Can't remember anything.  Head full of weekend plans and IKEA shopping lists!!  Aaargh. 

• JT  - who is your chiro? she sounds fab!!
  • Caro - thats bad news about your sisters friend, I hope she is okay.

Tallbird - glad you are settling in, its difficult to get out running when there is so much going on - have a great anniversary camping!

We too have a lack of grandparental support. The inlaws live in Dublin so that's the reason they can't help out, and they do try to come over as much as poss to lend a hand.
    My dad and step mum do a bit and I think they will probably get a bit better as the kids get bigger but my dad is quite poorly so he just can't run around after them.
    My mum is hilarious - I asked her to come and stay last week again and she finally came up with an excuse for why she couldn't. She has barely spent any time with the kids and hilariously justified her hands off approach to me the other day by saying she would have preferred to have had less help and interference from her parents/in-laws. Obviously all that free babysitting was AWFUL. Hmph.

I wish I could find a osteo/chiro/physio that could really work out what my niggles are. I think they mostly get stumped as I'm really flexible and they can never pinpoint a source of any problems that are going on.

CM - its so cool/weird seeing them become more independent. Martha has started ballet and its just so lovely to see her doing a class that I don't have to be in the room for!

Hi Nicky!

• TT, my Dad has become a bit of a fruit cake and I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. I fear for the boys too, especially he turning up and taking them from nursery or pre-school mainly cos I'm net him see them. He has turned to religion but not in a good way if that makes sense. He hurt my Mum tremendously with his 50+ sexual encounters of which she only knew about 2, and I don't know who he is anymore. Hope that explains why hubbie is a bit reluctant and to be fair I am too.

Will post more later, much to get on with and looks like I need to pack many warm clothes and all the waterproofs image. Why can't it cheer up just a bit for a week, more heavy rain forecast for this weekend. I think we'll be coming home if the weather forecast is as bad as it shows image...

Hi Nicky...

• Is it a holiday MM or another reason for the trip to the isle of wight?

Sister's friend has apparently been released from hospital with some sort of cast, thank god. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Just been for a 3 mile jaunt in the sun.
  • MM- I see, that makes sense now. It is a horrible situation to be in.

I had to go to my eldest's head teacher when everything blew up with my ex-stepdad and explain the situation which was just awful but I genuinly feared he would turn up at the school and attempt to talk to her/take her. Although the head teacher was lovely and said to me that she didn't even have to ask if Nat had come to any harm from him as she was very confident from knowing her that nothing of that nature had happened, which was a huge weight off my mind. Even though I knew in my heart she was fine, you still worry that you might have missed something. You see it all the time on tv, people whose kids have been abused and they say they knew nothing. But thankfully I've always been a bit too over protective about who my kids are left alone with, and even though he had been my stepfather since I was 18 he was never left in sole charge of my daughter. Thank God!

LOL Kinsey, that is some excuse your Mum came up with image

TT ;0)

• wow - families, eh? really - they are the scariest things!

my poor E wiped out today. we have changed swimming classes and went to a new pool with a different teacher today. i think all the excitement and showing off wore her out. she sobbed her heart out over her lunch and was in bed by 1225. bless her.

have promised J that we will go 'exploring in the woods' after school today. it is supposed to be grim weather after today (sorry, MM) so best make the most of sunny weather.

then the kids go to T's tomorrow after school and i don't see them again till sunday night. i am dreading it. i am away with work for 1 or 2 days, but it's still such as long time. i have had them since friday and it's been bliss. they have been fab and i feel so happy when they are around.

• Caro - phew glad you sisters friend is ok . Hows your hip now?

My kids grandparents are straightforward, my own grandparents less so. I also ended up with 8 grandparents who I knew plus my mums biological parents as she was adopted. We spent alot of time as kids being looked after by my mums mum as my parents had a business to run. Despite how unmaternal my mum was with us she is a pretty good granny!

Two 3 miles runs for me tody. One very easy in the howiling wind and rain at 6am, one a little faster just now while the twins are at nursery.  Have managed to paint the kitchen ceiling this morning (with some help from hubbywho has a couple of days off to finish our decking). Off to do some of the walls before nursery pick up.