Sub 3

Comments

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Dull - i saw this doing a bit of searching myself, so it sounds like a kiwi might need to go sub 2:13 to qualify for london.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/5103543/Headwind-a-blow-to-Warrander-in-half-marathon

MtR sounds more my kind of (old fart) gig - might check out if i can tix myself actually as i have a free Sat night!  can't believe Marders came on here admitting to (take) that - hero worship status has been lost for all time...

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    selbs: tickets are still available. If you do decide to go, let me know.
  • Thanks for the link selbs. My back of fag packet calc, seemed to point to a sub 2.15 for him off his current track form. If marders can improve even more on his track speed then a sub 2.13 is very possible come Berlin.

MtR as a fellow old fart who appeciates good music, enjoy the Wombles at Glastonbury.

Dull
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    MtR weather forecast is putting me off a bit - and the fact i couldn't enjoy it all avo/evening as i have a golf game already committed to at 2.30.  might look into just the dylan option though arriving 8.30.
  • Heh, mrs CD has tickets for a box at Take That at the O2.  To be fair she did ask me, but she did so safe in the knowledge that she had her sister lined up to replace me.  Given that I nodded off watching Kylie from the same box a few months ago she was on safe ground that I'd politely decline.
  • Dull Napoleon™ wrote (see)
    marders I've done some lurking and turned up these stats for 2011 for NZ athletics. You're still off the pace for 5,000m but well in the mix for running 10,000m upwards, although I did see that no marathon runners were selected for the last Olympics as NZ athletics didn't think they were good enough to go. I'm not certain how true that is. http://www.anzrankings.org.nz/

I know a guy in NZ who is pretty handy at marathon, came top 100 at Boston: Nicholas Browne.

• I didn't want to go to Take That, honest!  I'm just good at buying tickets so got a bunch for the Mrs and some friends.  In the end I actually enjoyed it and I get the added bonus of securing a few much needed brownie points.  These were automatically tripled as I gave up a running event ie British League.  Doesn't matter that I replaced the British League with 2 running events whilst in Manchester!!

Funny you mention 2:15 Dull.  My 5000 time predicts about 2:18.  Given my 5000 time would normally predict a marathon time a few minutes slower than what I do I'm definitely on the right "track" (but obviously need to switch to road).  The NZ A standard for the World Champs is sub 2:14 so best case is the 2012 standard will also be 2:14.  There's a small glimmer of hope though.  If I'm the fastest runner under the B standard then I could get selected as a "Development" athlete.  I don't hold too much hope of that route as typically they want young blood to develop for the next games.  In the marathon though, I'm young enough and am still developing having only been in the game not even 4 years!  I've got the ball rolling though and submitted my interest by getting put on the long list, I guess just a way to keep track of all potential athletes.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Marders said.... "I didn't want to go to Take That, honest!  I'm just good at buying tickets so got a bunch for the Mrs and some friends.  In the end I actually enjoyed it ... "

oh dear oh dear, walks off shaking head.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good to hear that Selbs and PtB are getting back to fitness.

Sorry to hear you have been benched, HH.

Enjoyed the ticket-buying-tale, Marders.  I'm not sure my mum has forgiven me for the time she had to try and buy me tickets to Simon Boccanegra at Covent Garden.  She is still traumatised and blames herself for failing!  Perhaps opera buffs are wise to Matt's tricks.

1 hour easy for me this morning.  Feeling a bit queasy this afternoon and thankfully finished at work so hoping a plain supper (mmm, boiled rice) and an early night will fix things as had planned some faster stuff for tomorrow morning.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL Jools, had the same problem getting my mum tickets to Placido Domingo
  • MTR, TR - cheers. Gobi - are you (probably wisely) putting 2 and 2 together with my post last week about not knowing how best to run the 4 x 1m session? You said then something like, "depends on what you want out of it", which was fair enough. Given that I've been pretty much endurance-focused for a few years now, what speedwork would you (or anyone else) suggest looking at to shake things up for 6-8 weeks?

marders - you're not alone. I've also seen Take That, in a brownie-point-securing stylee. And have to admit, it was a decent show. I kept it real by wearing my Metallica L/S t-shirt, though.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    HH - sorry to hear your having problems, is it serious?

Marder - loved your ticket buying antics. I don't thik I could put myself through that anymore.

I only discovered by accident last week that the Fleadh was back at Finsbury Park, but am away for the weekend. I'd be dead keen to see Gaslight Anthem, Waterboys, Cranberrys and the good time Saw Doctors . Also interesting to see if Shane McGowan can get through his set. My favourite Old Gits festival is Guilfest with Cambridge Folk Festival a close second.....ah, those were the days.

• Now then, someone mentioned non attendance at prize givings. Very timely, as a big goodie bag arrived from Windermere Marathin this morning with a cup, £50 voucher and a tin of gingerbread. How nice.

However, I am a little haunted by recent events at the athletics club that I foolishly joined (so I could run in the champs start at London Mara).

You see, I think I won road racer of the year. I actually think I won it quite easily.

They award this at their annual dinner. It goes without saying that this was not something I attended. But it did worry me. To attend was not right - "Oh, so he's turned up to the dinner has he, just to get his prize?" . To not be there was not right either "bloody hell, you'd have thought he'd have made the effort". To make up an excuse was not right, to not make up an excuse was not right either.

So, I say I think I've won, cos I'm not going to ask obviously. Cos that wouldn't be right having not gone to the dinner. To not ask shows utter disdain for the award.

I hate clubs. I bloody hate them. Cos I've done nowt wrong, but feel like a piece of doggy-do-dah.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    PtB - have you considered just looking for some pure speed and doing much shorter reps. Get those legs moving faster ?

I had the whole swim bike run experience this evening. It is like slowly moving through things until I get to my favourite bit.

6 more weeks
  • <wanders into forum far too heavy and unfit!>
    evening folks!
    Great to see the usual stalwarts posting it's slightly less worrying turning back up seeing familiar names!
    I see our antipodean friend is still doing a bit!

I have a serious flaw if I'm not in proper training I go to rat shit! I need the discipline of marathon training - luckily Chester is about in sight for training again- I just can't get focussed for smaller races! I was thinking of 'pool but few things worrying me so I'm off to Chester
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Feeling a bit queasy was an understatement: spent 8-midnight puking... Now feel as wibbly as anything and owe a work colleague an enormous favour as I was supposed to be in court just before lunch.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear HH is benched and now Jools isn't feeling good. At least it's not peak marathon training.

Marders - I think you've just convinced me not to bother trying to get tickets through the 2nd round!

Club handicap race last night - I went off last, but only a few seconds behind someone else who had been a bit ambitious (submitted his 10k PB from two years ago rather than a recent result - schoolboy error!). Passed him quickly but then a 90s gap to the next target so was running solo until the last mile. Managed to finish mid-pack though, which makes a change compared to previous handicaps. Just under 4M in 20:45 - felt much better than the 10k race last week.

Had a good swim on Monday as well - one of the 500s was in 6:51 which is a big PB and must have gone through 400 in a PB as well (under 5:30). Maybe I should just stick to aquathlons!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'm going to bother with 2nd round of Olympic tickets. Marders is right; there will only be expensive tickets available for unpopular sports, which people will panic buy in over-enthusiasm only to sit bored shitless during the qualifying rounds of the weightlifting from a £150 seat.

Anyway, I'm convinced that the majority of tickets have gone to agencies (ie touts) who will have overestimated demand for many sports. You will almost certainly be able to pick up athletics tickets for morning sessions at face value nearer the time. There is simply no way that 80000 people will plan a morning in London just to watch the hammer throwing qualifying rounds.

Marders ticket buying strategy rings true. I had a similar situation 3 yrs ago in '08 when the plan was for me and the missus to take 3 months off to live in the Alps for the summer, while I trained for UTMB. Whole plan depended on me getting a place in the race in the days before they introduced qualifying points or a ballot; ie first come first served. About 10000 people were trying to enter for just over 2000 places. It was the most stressful thing I have ever done. Lost about 2 kgs in sweat and drew blood from the amount of times I punched the desk in frustration!!!

Sorry to hear of the injuries (HH) & illness (Jools). I'm on the back end of both and progress is slow.
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Apparently there will be middling to expensive seats available for the athletics morning sessions but no cheap ones. But circa £100 to see some heats is a bit rich for my taste. I think the other popular venues (velodrome and pool) are all sold out.

Lots of non-running going on. Gorgeous evening yesterday so instead of punishing myself down at the track, I pedalled out to Epping Forest and spent about 40 minutes going up and down steep hills over there. Did 5 hill climbs then time-trialled home.

This morning was testing time in the pool. How much difference had 20 swimming sessions made to my 1,000m time? Benchmark was 25 mins from my first session. 200m easy warm-up, then set off, trying to get faster rather than slower. Finished in 20:50, with a last 100m under 2 mins. Now that's still crap, but less crap than it used to be.

WTGY: Nice to see you. I don't think your alone on the weight front. I seem to have put on 4-5 kg since London, which isn't ideal by any means. Currently clocking the scales at 74kg (target is to be under 70 which I didn't manage for London, got down to 71 before carb-loading). Given that my total training time is higher than usual, it shows that running has a much greater impact on weight than swimming or biking, which is logical. (Or alternatively that I'm pigging out a lot - which could also be true).
  • Nice improvement there MtR. Do you have a target time in mind for the New Forest Middle? I'm rather enjoying training for an event without a target time after just missing breaking 2:30 in consecutive VLMs, but thinking possibly somewhere between 5:30 and 6:00 so should be rather anonymous in the results. May add in a few time trials to at least acknowledge any biking/swimming improvement rather than have no real idea how it's all progressing. The extra cycling is still making me feel rather flat while running although a couple of recent race times and interval sessions shows I'm maintaining a reasonable fitness on half pre-VLM mileage.

• Marders - perfect summing up of the ticket buying process and some mighty impressive running recently, good luck with your Olympic quest. 

Afraid to say that I've been a bit of a traitor to the thread and have been doing some running.  Did 9.8m last night with the club that I'm going to join so that I can run with some quicker guys and try and catch up with them.  This took me over 1000 miles for the year.  Gobi, Padams and MtR have been doing some proper training involving grease, lycra and getting wet.

Got my GFA for through for London and seem to have a pretty cool number 32123, the symmetry of which appeals to the OCD in me.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Great progress on the swimming MtR that's great to see the hard work paying off.  you're another who would have a 10-15 minute lead on me in an olympic distance tri if i ever do one again before i hop on the bike!!

that doesn't sounds good Jools - hope it has passed already and u can kick on tomrorow.

got my GFA entry in the post yest.  i take the strategy of not sending my request for the form, or the entry by registered post/special delivery and half expect it to not get processed... in which case no drama as it never seems to work out for me anyway!  bu i'll send off my £32 as it still seems a bargain that price for the race adn i want to be able to race it one day!

jog commute home last night, and in this morning, and a slow 8 miles planned at lunch will bring up 30 miles in 2 days - legs feeling tired.  Going to try mile reps outside (2nd time EVER) tomorrow as continue to try and work on how to get my 10km time in line and target race only 3ish weeks away.

Padams - fast stuff as ever, nice work. looking forward to seing how the ironman goes. enjoy the taper!

Ascot tom after the pain of mile reps!! DanA - got any tips?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice progress MtR

Padams - that is some good speed.

I went to the lake last night and suffered the 1500 metres I do. No idea about time as I forgot my watch but 36 - 38 mins from chatting to the bloke standing around.

Track maximals this morning as it is Wednesday. Lots of pain and a little progress so all good news ahead of my masters 800 debut next month.

LJ - cunningly hidden in amongst all my "other" training I have run over 1300 miles this year :¬)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams – more speedy legged running. Nice one.

MtR - its nice to see some swimming improvement isn’t it, I take great pleasure out of it, but it doesn’t happen very often now.

CJ -  I did 5:30 in 2009 and 5:27 in 2011, but  put in an extra 5min loop on the run and the run was a mile longer anyway. Its trickey to be too time specific as they don’t always put the buoys in the same place for the swim (or they do and the wind moves em), and it can be a lot windier on the bike at times (bike was much tougher in 2010). Having said that, if it’s the same course and conditions this yr as in 2010, then I’ll be looking for an improvement on the 5:20 I was hoping for last time (which the windy bike and getting lost on the run cost me), so something like 5:10. I would have thought you’d be wayyy faster than between 5:30 and 6:00. You wont swim or bike much slower than me (MtR will probably ride quicker than me) and you’ll smoke the run due to being a bike novice

90 mins of hill repeats bagged early doors. I have an U11s match at 6pm that’s ~20M away, so I hope the rain holds off until afterwards otherwise I have to try and stop lots of parents making a wasted trip.

• Get well soon Joolska. Good luck with your recovery Hobbling Harrier.

PtB - we all have disappointing races (well most of us anyway, maybe not marders...), perhaps look at shaking up your training a little, I think that sometimes a bad race can be a good thing, it can spur me on.

Got my GFA form in the post yesterday. Will send it in anyway, but starting to wonder about other spring marathons...

Club championship 1 mile last night. Dreadful. Last year 5.07 off no speedwork in big heavy trainers, this year 5.03 off some speedwork in racing flats... so in reality I've gone backwards. Not trying to make any excuses, but I think 30 miles including a HM in the previous 2 days had taken their toll. I remember last year's race really hurting, this time my legs wouldn't go fast enough to make it hurt.

That makes four races in a row where my times have been below what I'm sure I'm capable of, although they were all at least PBs. Luckily I'm still at the stage where I can get PBs on off days. The only 'race' I've been completely happy with recently was a solo parkrun. Weird. A few nagging doubts at the back of my mind, but I'm pretty relaxed about it. The same thing happened last summer while I was increasing my training load and my results were going backwards, it all came good then once my body adjusted and touch wood the same thing will happen again.

Did anyone see the latest research into beer drinking and marathon running?
  • Nice palindromic number there LJ.  Reminds me of one of my first coding assignments back at Uni where we had to write a program that would tell you if the input text was a palindrome or not.  Exciting times.  I thought they should have at called it something like palindrordnilap so it was at least self defining.

Impressed by MtRs swimming abilities and improvements.  One day I may go for a bit of a dip myself and get some lessons.

1500m in 36-38 mins Gobi?  10 minutes per 400m by my reckoning.  Were you doing it walking on your hands?  If so, then impressive.  If not, then that bloke should have gone to spec savers!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Marders - I can't swim !!!!
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    CJ: As I haven't seen the course, or completed any triathlon, it'd be hard to put a target time on it. I guess anything close to TR's debut time would be very respectable.

My swimming is improving, but will be a weakness. My biking is solid, but untested. My running is an unknown factor as I haven't had to do it with a warm-up before.

That's why I'm planning a couple of warm-up races which will all be about process and completion rather than performance.

FR: Can't knock a PB, although I'd have pegged you to break 5 minutes. I've run 5:08, and I can't get near you over 5k.

TR: Hill repeats on wheels or on foot?

Gobi: I crept over 1,000 miles in May. Currently at about 1,100.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Gobi> my masters 800 debut next month
    I thought you were suspiciously quick in those 400s etc... when you say 'maximal' reps, is that completing them at the highest average pace you can, or doing something like initially running flat out and then slowing down as you tire?

Nice improvement in the swimming time MtR.

My legs were a bit stiff after reps on Sat and 10M tempo on Sun, but I did a mild version of reps + tempo today so I'd have time to be fresh-legged for a multiterrain 10k this Sun. Foul weather for that, possibly, but never mind...

• Filthyrich wrote (see)
    ... this time my legs wouldn't go fast enough to make it hurt.

Yes, that's the one! Although that was in a mile race for you, and mine was a 10k image. So I guess I have to decide if I give a toss about anything shorter than HM, and if so, HTFU and do some short fast speedwork.

BTW - non-alcoholic beer?!?!?

Another GFA returned here too.

Seems like there's a good few regulars taking a sabbatical currently? Marigold (who has recently blogged about 2 big decisions), BR & Hilly (end of term reporting?), Ode (I missed how Comrades went, and no idea WTF his name is to stalk),  ZaTTu (still de-technologising?), LS21 (hasn't paid the leccy bill?), JAP, Brian, SL, the previously mentioned HR, and probably more I've missed. Hope all's OK.