Boddington Marathon

Does anyone have any details on this one? Is it an inaugural event? The advertised website itself doesn't seem to even mention it (as far as I can tell).

I note that there are two full marathons in the area, a week apart from each other. It could be quite a full timetable for the devoted athlete!

Paul

Comments

• Hey Paul - Kath the northern Oddball here - just wanted to say hi and how are you going - you seem to be running really well - I'm injured again so no abuse from Martin to put up with - good luck with your marathon - if you find out the details that is image
  • Hi Paul

Boddington Marathon is 2.2 mile loops, on an almost flat course

it's off Junc 10 ??M5 in worcestshire

tis a good event

• Sounds good to me! Just entered Portsmouth Coastal in December, so now have three up my sleeve for 2011 already. Obviously did a bit too much resting last year! Will consider further whether to make this one no 2 of 4 (in chronological order).

Hi Kath. I'd wondered before who Green Eyes was - hadn't realised it was my old mate from the club. Didn't recognise you from your eyes! It's probably because I'm more used to seeing you from behind when out training. Good luck with your recovery. As you know, I never get injured myself, as I'm too lazy to train that hard.

• in boddington, cheltenham, gloucestershire
  • Ok...I'm in!

Many, many laps i gather alongside the 50k Champion Runners? Do they run at the same time?

And excuse a daft question but how do they/ you count the laps?!

• Ran this last year. Yes, many laps, 1 x approx 1.5mile, 11 x 2.2mile, 1 x approx 0.5mile to finish.  The organisers stand counting laps with clipboards + it was chip timed for each lap and at the finish but started on a gun (no chip pad). The start is 10 minutes walk from the finish/HQ so allow time to get there. The race could start without you as some found to their cost last year. Might be worth checking what form water will be presented in as cups last year make it tricky to get enough down you. Option of leaving you own bottles at the water station (far side of the lap).

50k race started at a different point on the lap but at the same time. Multiple laps sounds deadly boring but you will be overtaking/overtaken quite a lot and passing the same spectators and marshals which keeps it interesting. I quite enjoyed it and may do it again.  V good pb course as is dead flat.

• Is this a Beyond The Limitations event?

If you haven't taken part in a BTL event before expect organisation to be hit and miss, they don't communicate much, at previous events of theirs stated car parks were closed by council(s) without BTL advising entrants in advance, they've advertised energy drinks but have run out long before the end and so on.

If you like an energy drink at given intervals make your own arrangements, don't assume you'll get a choccy bar at the end, in short, be as self sufficient as you can.

Not knocking it, a lot of people get along fine with their events, but quite a few don't. Just be prepared.

HF 

• Some years ago I did the Boddington 50k and thought it was very well organised and had a brilliant atmosphere - all the more surprising, given the multiple laps.

Does anyone know whether it is a pukka 26.2 mile marathon and therefore suitable for getting a qualifying time for the VLM? 'Good for age' VLM entries have to be in by the 11th of July, so this would be perfect. I'm not sure I will get under 3.15 but it would be good fun trying.

• Same as Ian. I see you can enter on day so I'll try upping the mileage over the next 2 1/2 months.
  • Hi Ian,

email from event organiser confirms that Boddington is a certified measured marathon course, acceptable for qualifying times for Marathon Majors.

2010 course certificate is available at http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/detail.php?area=Midlands&no=2010194 

"Beyond the Limitations" website not that informative, their online entry tab doesn't include the Marathon, so online entry via Runner's World or print out form from http://www.beyondthelimitations.co.uk/resources/BoddingtonMarand50k2011entryformfinalversion.pdf

• Thanks for that David, I've printed off the entry form and will see if I can up the miles enough this month!
  • Great info guys & girls. Could do with getting a bit of pride back after a poor VLM - may just give it a go !

• David thanks for the steer on Boddington and the certified distance.

After having to pull out of the Shakespeare this weekend at mile 9  - this seems ideal.

Jase

• After a shocking Shakespeare marathon yesterday, just signed up for this to attempt a GFA time for London.

What happened at Stratford Jase? What's your training plan going to look like? interested as it seems so soon to be doing another marathon.

CJ

• Sorry to hear about your Shakespeare Strife yesterday Cj and Jase....er, *whispers* I had a HOOGE PB after feeling pretty rubbish last year at it.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of laps, many many laps, on this one. Not sure I'm near the VLM qualifying time (sub 3:15?) but it would be nice to take a minute or two of yesterdays time...perhaps!

• Trust someone to ruin the atmosphere by being upbeat! image Well done yesterday jules.

Noticed that I caught the sun yesterday, now the proud owner of a white watch mark and vest burn- didn't realise it was that warm. Looking forward to this one too, laps and a flat course sound great for pb hunting.

Ran Gloucester earlier this year (run by the same people). Where it lacked in number of runners, spectator support and the stature of a city race, it was made up by camarade between the runners. Hopefully be the same.

Bring it on!

VLM qualifying times at the following link; http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

• Top marks Jules great effort, I thought shaky was great and would love to do it again, but maybe knock out kore than 9 miles.

CJ for me it was an old problem that crops up very rarely, it has literally happened 6 times in around 4500 miles of training and racing over the last 4 years, the good news was I knew all about it and pulled out pretty quickly. First time it's made me DNF, but the goal was a 315 Boston qualifier and not to make it around my 11th go at this great distance.

Bl@

On the training plan CJ I'm going to loom at it tomorrow but likely I'll use the time to increase the speed a little (a bonus really), get a fair few marathon pace miles in and bring the 22/20 milers in to around 16 miles. If you're interested I'll email my plan across to you when it's done.

One thing is for certain though, I have promised my other half that I will not run, I will drink and eat all the food on the island, when we go to Mallorca on the 19th of June, yes sireee boss!
  • I am also aiming to run this one after a disappionting VLM. I managed a 3:01 last year so has pushing for my first sub 3:00 at VLM but made school boy error of getting carried away and starting too fast. Crawlled the last six miles to finish in 3:07, at least I have GFA in the bag for next year.

I live in Cheltenham and actually worked at RAF Boddington (blink and you will miss it) for 3 years in the late 80's (showing my age), so it seemed like fate when I heard about this race. I did 9 loops of the course this morning as my LSR to remind myself of the route. This is dead flat and could be very fast if the weather is kind. Parking might be an issue.

This course is already marked up (probably from last year). It appears that the km markers (every 10 km) relate to the 50/100km ultra event and the mile markers (every 5 miles) relate to the marathon. Personally I am going to pace myself against  a lap time. For a sub 3:00 this very conveniently works out almost exactly 15 minutes per lap, so even an idiot like me can work out if I am ahead or behind target.

The multi lap format sounds boring but even at 7:00 in the morning running on my own it was ok - head down and auto-pilot on. I plan to run it again before the race, maybe a 4/5 laps at race pace.

• Good to heat the 'flat' feedback Clive - what did you do in the RAF by the way - in a past life I used to be based at Leeming.

Booked  in for this one now and really looking forward to it - it might sound odd but I quote like the idea of the laps - it'll be a first and it looks a nice place.

Jase

• RAF Boddington was a Telecoms site. Only about 50 people on shifts so normally only a dozen or so on site. It consists of two main building which are mostly underground.It is no longer an RAF site but looks occupied. If my calculations are right the start of the marathon is outside this site. When I was based here in the late 80's Norman Wisdom turned up at the gate on a Sunday morning and asked to look around - apparently he was station here during WWII - pretty random.

It is a pretty route, but not so you would want to see it 12+ times!

• It strikes me that this might just be a decent idea for a spectator marathon? Let's face it every 15-20 minutes yer gonna see your runner instead of the once at 12 miles for a hastily stuffed gel at them!

Is there anywhere suitable for a location of the support team? 'Team Jules' have romantic images of picnics in the grounds (grounds of what i don't know?!) whilst I stride manfully past lap after lap - which of course i will be...maybe...

• There is a church located on the loop, although a picnic in a graveyard isn't too romantic unless you are a vampire.

Apart from a 800m stretch the main loop is only used to access the houses/farms  located on the loop. I haven't counted but probably less than 20, so I won't expect much if any vehicular traffic. There are a number of grass verges that will be suitable in particular there is a large one located in a corner (Barrow) about 800m from the start line.

I am also going to have the 'young Duffy's' support crew (age 6 & 9). Extra pocket money for handing me drinks and fuel!

• Hi all,

and thanks for the very useful information about the course.

Like several of you, I shall be looking for a GFA qualifying time for VLM. Won't be attempting to keep you company, Clive, but the 15mins per lap is an extremely helpful indicator. If I understand rightly, about 16 mins per lap will see the rest of us dip under 3.15, and I'll know I'll have blown it if you lap me.

• Well fast approaching..

Not quite taper time so still with a few miles to do between now and then- how's everyone getting on?

Just had a glorious trail run this mornng in the sun avoiding the tree routes, bunnies and the biggest 'murder' of crows (educated , me!) I've ever seen!

Got an 18 tomorrow that I'm simply looking to enjoy to be honest!

Aches, pains and niggles staying away are they?

• At the risk of monopolising the thread (!) has anyone else received owt pertaining to the race? Or are we all calm an not too bothered per the advice above?
  • Hi Jules.

You probably won't receive a race pack in the post, but that's quite usual with beyondthelimitations' events. Just turn up on the day and collect your number from race HQ. Don't be concerned, it's all very relaxed at their venues.

• That's kinda the Impression I got, but thanks for the reassurance!
    Training going well?
  • Hi all,

Did you see the race info in the info section of the beyond limitations page? Not obvious from the front page its there but once you find it quite useful. It also says hi 5 will be available on the course, I've mailed Anne to see what kind.

It seems we pick up numbers and chips at race hq.

After a poor endurance check on Sunday (no big deal just one of those runs) I had a corking interval session tonight, strong through each of the 400metres reps, and managed to knock the last one out at 5:30 milling pace, so it seems things are going well.

I see the start time is 11:30, seems an odd time to me with the sun near it's peak, but no complaints I'm really looking forward to this one.

Jase
  • 5:30 pace?! Jeez! you know this is a marathon don't you? Not a 5k?

Or is that just me? Hoh well....;o)

That's good going Jase, my intervals aren't anywhere near that. Usually about 20 minutes with a coffee and milling about...(I'll get me coat.)

Starting to lessen milage a little now as training has been quite heavy following on from a sucessful Stratford marathon. But looking forward to the experience of doing the laps...well sat here I am at any rate..!

• I put in an 18 miler last Sunday and plan a 21 this weekend as after Boddington I have another marathon and a 30m ultra in July. Issues with sciatica have troubled me all year so as you young whippets lap me for the umpteenth time, spare a thought for the old codger wearing the twin bottle-belt shuffling around the Gloucester countryside, muttering to himself.

There, I've got my excuses in early. Have a great run everyone, I hope you all enjoy the event.