Options

Talkback: Wetsuit Care 101

"Try not to pee in your wetsuit – the urine will damage the neoprene and leave a nasty stink."

I dont know anyone who doesnt !  

Comments

• Options

how can you not pee in it............the minute I get in the cold water i go to pee..............managed 9 more pees last sunday in the lakeimage

mind this is its 4th season so not destroyed yet

• Options
    My wetsuit is on its 7th season now - and its not rotted away !

I think this writer may not have done many long distance swims ?
  • Options
    I thought that was the reason we over hydrated before a swim, central heating. Tri swimming is so much better than surfing, no boots, where seepage seems to collect
  • Options
    It's all I can do to actually get into the water before wanting to go, it actually gets a bit dangerous in the expo the day before just picking up the scent of neoprene image
  • Options
    LOL Symes !

Wasn't it Candy who peed in his wetsuit ? When he was on dry concrete - waiting to go onto the beach. And the stream trickled past dozens of disgusted triathletes....... image
  • Options
    imageimage  I wait until i'm in the water image
  • Options
    It's H on DTs' login. I've never, ever, ever peed in a wetsuit. It's beyond revolting to me - like peeing in your office chair because you're on the phone and can't hold it. When I was a diving instructor i wouldn't even do it then. You could always tell who did as they reeked all day. Yick. Oh, and as a trainee washing the wetsuits others had peed in was vile. Though not as bad as one a colleague dealt with after a guy got a bit scared of sharks in the water....
  • Options
    How the hell is urine going to affect neoprene. You can drink piss (not that I do by the way!!!) so I can't see it having an issue with rubber, even the smell would wash away within a couple of 100 meters.
  • Options
    OK - so now I've met someone who doesn't pee in her wetsuit...

I think the key to it is to not pee in it just before you get out. You need to flush it out.

Now peeing on the bike - that IS gross. image
  • Options

Chester Olly race brifeing on Sunday. I noticed what appeared to be beads of sweat breaking out on the left foot and ankle of a guy near me while we stood on the river bank. No sweat on his right foot and ankle.... and then it got worse and I realised that this sage, bearded, 40-45 yr old age grouper was listening intently, and wetting his pants as if nothing was happening. Cool!

Ditto your comment H. A friend of mine was a dive instructor and she could smell wee in a wetsuit from about 2 miles. She reckoned that she had never, ever done such a revolting deed and unleashed hell on any of us she judged had leaked. Not me of course image

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    H - I'm with you! I'm always a bit image when I see someone selling or giving away their wetsuit - who on EARTH would buy a secondhand one?!
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    peeing's fine in my books

dumping in one is another matter altogether......and some of you know that story and who I'm talking about.....
  • Options
    LOL !!! I know ! I know !
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    if it hadn't been pissing down with rain that day to wash any residual evidence off during the bike, then you wouldn't have known.......he should have kept his mouth shut - I just wish I had as it turned out I was swimming not far behind him...........
  • Options

Yeah I had NO desire to hire a wetsuit when i thought about getting one, as I ssumed previous owners would have pee'd in it....

M.Tri, loving that link!!! Hehehehe

• Options
    and it was FB who was peeing before Vitruvian that one year .... the amount of holes in his wetsuit kind of gave it away
    Looked like he was weeing through a colander   image
  • Options

just wash it out afterwards no problem..........otherwise everytime you buy something second hand or borrow a set of pirate kit you never know......................and even if you buy new.............the person making it could have just been to the toilet for a pee or something else and not washed his hands before making your stuff................

Its only a piece of piss................stop worrying about it........when ever you sit on a piece of grass you never know who has just peed thereimage

• Options
    I don't know the dump story.........
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

.....when ever you sit on a piece of grass you never know who has just peed thereimage

yes we do it was you Seren image

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I shall never sit on the grass again. image

It's not so much the pee per se, Seren - it's STALE pee. And it's in rather larger quantities than just 'not washing hands'.
  • Options
    Anyone that recommends not peeing in a wetsuit has never swum in Scotland in June. It is a matter of survival not hygiene!
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see
    )

just wash it out afterwards no problem..........otherwise everytime you buy something second hand or borrow a set of pirate kit you never know......................and even if you buy new.............the person making it could have just been to the toilet for a pee or something else and not washed his hands before making your stuff................

Its only a piece of piss................stop worrying about it........when ever you sit on a piece of grass you never know who has just peed thereimage

totally agree imageimage

• Options

Just adding my thing.... pee in a healthy individual is a pretty sterile liquid... nearly everyone pees in the wetsuit....

Now, adding to the fray.... a little thought.... so you really think drafting those people in the swim is such a good idea now? That pee has to wash off and go out at some point...image

• Options
    Can't be any worse than my local pool in the school holidays. Lots of suspicious warm patches image
  • Options

after drying wetsuit outside I left it behind one of the chairs..............this morning my son sat there and told me my wetsuit stankimage.........I was embarressed until I picked it up and realised it didn't smell of wee or pond water........I had cleaned it well enough............he meant that rubber smell from the fabric........so I guess he won't get into any bondage fetishimage

• Options

It's ridiculous to be grossed out about the thought of buying a secondhand westsuit. Is it also necessary to buy a brand new toilet when you move house? Things can be cleaned. 

• Options

so true EC.  But we have people at work who won't use a mug that came out of a dishwasher in case someone else in the office drank from it?  WTF...  how do these people cope in pubs/restaurants/real life?

• Options

Perhaps they eat in posh restaurants, where they polish the silver cutlery and crystal glasses by breathing on them until it condenses, then wiping down.

Anyway, what's the problem with second hand wetsuits?

Hey, you should see the puddle patch 20m behind the start line in Pen 1 at London marathon! Talk about a localised area of dampness.