A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• FP – knee was just a strain that I wanted to rest and get better rather than risk a more serious problem.  11 miles in 55 minutes is seriously amazing image haha … maybe we should all get a phone app like that one …  

SY - had a look at Jef Galloway’s plans and they look good. For the 10k I think I’ll just need to go with an adaptation. Tried to see whether I could manage a 10k training run tonight and did it! Made sure that most of the climbing was out of the way in the first 5k so just told myself when legs were aching near the end that all I had to do was let my legs carry me home along the flat and gradual downhills! Something very enjoyable about plodding through puddles and rain – I concur, WTK. Really enjoyed your race report … good effort! I would imagine R4L is tough with running around runners and walkers of varying speed … glad you enjoyed it too!

Chrissie – bet that’s the last time you go on a cruise!! Shouldn’t laugh, but sorry I did – obviously sad re the refinery casualties though :¬( If anyone can train for a marathon in Sept you’d be a good candidate, wouldn’t you? I’m no expert, but you’ve been racking up the miles so have got a good base to launch for marathon training, eh? FP’s done some hasn’t she, so her advice is sound, I reckon!! Comes down to motivation, time and avoiding injuries I guess?

JJJ – 14.91/35

• BB, good to see you out and about, I did something almost identical to you tonight. I have a 10k at the end of the month and just want to `get round`, time is irrelevant. I missed Wednesdays session through family commitments and yesterdays with no childcare. Tonight, I just thought, what the hell, it had rained all day and didn`t look like clearing at all. I went out planning to do 5 but felt ok and added on another mile. So 6 miles done, havn`t a clue how long it took me but it`s given me confidence.

Debbie, you are so funny!

Ado, good luck with your half, it sounds like you`re getting really fit!

WM, excellent running as always

Chrissie, what an experience you`ve had! Think hard about the marathon. You know you can do one, just decide whether or not it`s a good time for you or not.

HY4, well done on the 8 miler

Rob, you sound like you`re both having alot of fun, had to do my run alone tonight, OH otherwise engaged, the running part was fine but I had to run my own bath and cook my own meal afterwards!

• Kate, that sounds like a really good run. R4L Caernarfon which is the one I do used to be split into runners and walkers, Last year they split into, runners, joggers and walkers. I started at the back of the runners last year and this year and I found that ideal. We overtook a few in the first half but noone really got in our way and we finished in a very similar time to yours.

• went for a wee run tonight in the rain of Saddleworth did 7K and the 5K was un in 28mins 39seconds time is coming down after my injury break image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Dob,

Well done.

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

My 8 miler turned into a game of two halves. H1 was a 4.2 mile bike ride with my lovely daughter followed by a 5 mile run on my own through the countryside. Very enjoyable evening. I've set my garmin at my Half Marathon PB pace so I get used to it over the next three weeks before the proper Half. I figure if I aim for the stars (PB), I might still hit the moon (enjoy it and finish).

Determined - I'm fitter than I've been in years, but still got a spare tyre I'm finding hard to shift...too many pies I expect!

• ....evening folks just ran 7K and timed the 5k at 28.50 which im happy with. Hope you are all well
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Ado,

Take things easy in the couple of weeks before hand with the long runs so that you can have a little taper and may be use the target pace for a speed session.

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    Thanks HY4, bang on advice. I had conveniently disregarded my own experience and was going to up the miles right up to d-day. Taper, taper, taper.
  • Maybe we should do some training before the taper Ado!!image
  • nah........., pies, taper, race. what could possibly go wrong?

• Yes, you must definitely keep the pies going!

• Im back!

IOW festival was pure awesome!!!!

I was late to Kasebian on the last night (was watching another band on one of the smaller stages) and found myself running in my wellies to get there. It wasnt far or anything but to run to live music was my fave experience!

Proper running tonight - hopefully I will not have to pay the price for the fun I had image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Ado,

I taper for most races (with the exception of 4k) and have to be honest I've had a hard look at my training over the next couple of weeks as doing my 5 miler race on 26 June.

ShiYa,

Glad you had a good time.

• Too much to comment on everyone today. Too tired and too stressed. Ofsted are in school tomorrow and Thursday. Not cool. Roll on the weekend.

Didn't run sun cos of rain but did manage some gym tonight whilst the kids were swimming. Clocked 2.5 in 22.19 so not bad.

If I am away again a few days you know why!!!

24.5/65

• Good running Det … funny that we mirrored each other!! Confidence is a great thing and it’s great that you’ve got it. 

Dob – that is very cool – upward curve for you after a tough time – v pleasing! 

Ado - Spare tyre is an occupational hazard sometimes as a 40something male, I reckon!! Or you could be right about the pies … hope I haven’t aged you – was talking about me!! Good running though and your back is now proper again, eh? 

WB ShiYa – sounds like you had a blast … maybe running in Wellies could be a new revolutionary training technique … we’ll watch interestedly for improvements in time and distance as a result! 

Fingers and toes crossed for OfSted Deb … we have Estyn here in Wales … their equally ugly twin brother … fortunately not coming to see us for a little while :¬) 

Out for a 4 mile tick over run tonight … bit of up and down in places – especially at the end … so a good solid workout. 

JJJ – 18.96/35

• Morning Guys - I've followed this thread with interest since I started running. Just completed my first 10k around the parks of Dulwich and clocked in at 63mins. Pretty happy to be honest although the last 2.5k was painful indeed.

Happy Running.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Debbie,

Well done.

Jamierunner,

Excellent.  Well done.

• Hello Jamierunner and well done!

• Well done Jamie!

Great feeling completing your first, eh? and 63 mins first time out is very good!!

With persistence, you'll break the hour, I'm sure image

• Thanks guys...felt great to be honest. it wasn't a race it was just the distance on my garmin but yeah it felt amazing. when I first went running in January I managed about 5 mins round Peckham Rye park before collapsing.

Couldn't face eating for an hour and then I ate the biggest bowl of pasta i've ever seen.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jamie,

In that case when you get to a race you'll find those extra few minutes.

Determinded,

Hope the inspection goes well.

BB,

Well done.

• DM - good luck with Ofsted! I have a few friends who are teachers so I heard of their evil ways... image

BB - wellies training may be the new bare foot running image

Jaimierunner - if you did 63 min in training you will fly in a race image

I have run with the club Tuesday but with being away forgot to charged my Garmin so it died after 4.50 miles. I dont know when it died though so I will conservatively estimate the distance to be 5 miles. It was 5 miles of fun. Running in the park on a beautiful summers evening is pure bliss!!!

I ran with a friend who is super speedy. However, now she is 6 months pregnant which brought her to my level. image

Today Im running before kb so no park or running friends for me - Boohoo!!!

JJJ - 36/100 - no chance with the taper looming...

• Hi All

Nice to see you're back at it BB -

DM - Hope OFSTED are good to you.....

Jamierunner - well done.... as ShiYa says - race conditions usually make you run harder and faster so you may surprise yourself with a sub 60...... Have you a race planned? (Or have I missed that bit)......

ShiYa - your run sounds lovely..... Enjoy KB tonight......

So far since returning from my hols I have run 6.2 miles on Sunday (treadmill), 6.1 on Monday (outside) and 3.5 yesterday. I have been trying to eat well this week and I think I've cut back a little too much on my carbs as I have Zero energy..... Struggled both Monday and Wednesday..... Now making a conscious effort to eat carbs with every meal..... with fruit inbetween meals.... to get back on track. However I have now signed up for the Wolverhampton Marathon so need to concentrate on what I eat and when..... and forget the scales and concentrate on energy for my runs.......

JJJ - 25.03/85 - may struggle with target as have race on 2nd July but will certainly give it a go (without overdoing it).......

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Chrissie,

I think you've got the right attitude there regarding eating for your running.

• Ofsted......we await the final verdict. My observed lesson was graded high so all is good. We work hard and do well with a very mixed bag of kids so we should do ok but you never really know!!!

Believe it or not last night I ran 2.5m on the dready and did another pilates class (harder this week) and then I have been to the gym tonight 1 1/2 hr work out including 4m run in 37.08mins. I am wasted, going to be when I log off here.

Been super stress and I am VERY VERY VERY proud to say I have not been tempeted to smoke. That has to be a real test. Ofsted is like a teacher worst nightmare.........I am dead chuffed as we are over 2 weeks in now.

JJJ 31/65 nearly half way

(no run tomorrow as have hot date......where do I fit all this in!!! but plan an 8 miler on sat)

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Quick visit....8 miles tonight, started in the sun, got soaked to the skin after 4 miles, frozen for the last 3 miles........slow but enjoyed it!imageimage

Two and a bit weeks to my Half, with the odd libation or two at Glastonbury in between. Hmmmmm, need to train then taper, so could be an interesting 16 days!!

• Wow lots to comment on. Eating after or before running and justifying it as fuel is one of the pleasures of running, I reckon, Jamie and Chrissie!! 4 weetabix for me tonight after 3.7 miles combined from 2 lots of 3 laps around our local athletics track as the hare for my speedier, younger Colombian lodger! Good fun, and nice to get back to some speed work (obviously speed is a relative term, as a plodder!)

Good feedback from OfSted and a hot date sounds like a good second half to the week DM! 

That’s why we run, ShiYa – for those real enjoyable evenings out like you had – fantastic! 

On track, CT :¬) Good luck for the Marathon. A great challenge. Just completed my first race entry form for over a year – Aberdare 10k tonight  - great to have something to aim for isn’t it? Mine’s on 3rd July so not long to go.

Sounds like a good 16 days coming up Ado – hope you don’t get too muddy at Glasto – or is that part of the appeal?? Nice running tonight.

JJJ – 22.64/35
  • Morning peeps,
    Did a 10k run last night, well it was surpossed to be a 5k but couldnt stop running !! !
    10k in 59.02 which i was happy about and 5k in 27.30
    Have a great running day
    Dob
  • ChrissieT - when you running as much as you do the main priority is ensure you have enough energy otherwise you will get ill or injured! Have you tried recovery drinks after long runs? If I train after a run I always drink them and they do help!

DM - you are most definitely having a good week! Ofsted done, no smoking, amazing exercise regime and a hot date! That is most certainly good going!

Ado - so so jealous of you going to Glastonbury! Festivals are pure awesomeness! Who are you going to see? Are you too going to attempt a wellies run?

BB - Whoop whoop to the race entry - you have come such a long way since you hurt your back image

Dobcrossdaz - I love those runs when you just don't want to stop!

I had a cool run last night. Traffic was horrid on the way home so I was late to start and as I had to finish in time for kb I had to cut my run short. I ran 7.8 miles and although I started all sluggish and heavy I ended feeling much much better....

Kb instructor is on the war path again though. He threatens not to grade me if I don't start to come Mondays as well. Mondays I have the GB coach at the gym! I'm not impressed! imageimageimage

JJJ - 43.5/100