Sunday 19th June 2011

Morning.

Yesterdays lyrics - A Bad Dream by Keane.

Good luck Chickadeee and 40 - and anyone else racing?

Welcome Alex.

What:               Peak 100k ride
Why:                 it's hilly
Last hard:       I have a feeling I know what I'll put for this tomorrow
Last rest:        18/6

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning

What: Rest day, but up walking Geordie

Why: He doesn't realsie its my rest day

Oh and he won a 'best puppy competition' at a local gala day yesterdayimage

LMUH: Enjoy your 100k ride.

• 14 Daddy's day miles after i finish my breakfast in bed. Then I'm going to be waited on some more!!

why - because i'm worth it.

Yep - I got the foam roller for dad's day - must roll soon.

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Good wedding yesterday, although I'm not sure that all the food & alcohol was an ideal prep for today's race.

Off to the Martock 10K soon.  Not done this race before - course described as "fast undulating" - not words that I'd normally put in the same sentence.  I managed 42:20 at a pan flat 10K at Easter, so anything under that would be great and under 43 OK.

Will report later.

Good luck to anyone else racing!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Morning all,

What - 11.5m D&D
    Why - Tick over before mara Trg Starts
    Last Hard - Yesterdays Park Run
    Last Rest - Fri

All the best to racers - kids not in the land of the living yet so still waiting for dads day stuff... but we are going to Nandos for Lunch all being well

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Orchill 10K - Gleneagles.

Perfect day for racing - not too hot, light breeze against us on the way out, pushing back home on the return.  Course quite hilly - mainly downhill for first 3 miles and mainly uphill for last 3 miles -although last half mile a slight decline. 

I had played football on Thurs and then taken Fri and Sat off to give myself a shot at beating 40 minutes.  So, did it happen?? 

Milling around the start, I noticed a load of good quality club runners from Kinross Road Runners, Central AC, Carnegie Harriers and Wee County Harriers so I knew the standard was going to be good.  After last weeks bad pacing, I told myself to take it easy at the start.  I had planned an attempt at 6:20 miles which would take me well inside 40 minutes. 

First mile, everyone flying off at top speed, kept myself back just a little but definitely felt the effects of the faster pace.  6:17 was ideal though I felt relaxed at 1 mile.  2nd mile was downhill so it was no surprise to clock up a 6:09 and then a 6:16 for mile 3.  Well ahead of schedule at half way. 

Then it started getting tough.  I just couldnt seem to cope with the uphill sections on the way back and my legs were burning with the effort.  Kept it going for mile 4 and then dropped the pace for the hilliest one, mile 5 coming in at 7:01.  Five folk had overtaken me in that mile and I was struggling badly.  Had a look at the watch and just gave everything I could for mile 6, clocking 6:11 which was my saving grace and then sprinting for the finish line to stop the watch in....... 39:00. 

Delighted with the final time but not happy with the way I raced it again.  I'll probably take at least a month off racing now and work on general fitness and weight (still a bit heavy).

Good luck to anyone else racing today! image

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Happy father's day, all you who are fathers.

Well done Donaldo!

Hope 40min and Chickadee have had good runs.

No running today, but got the boat out of the shed and raced her, first time in over a year. I had decided not even to try and get her out until the run was over, using the Sundays for long run days.

It was odd going back to the club. Soooo familiar, and yet so strange, and scary too. The wind was a bit on and off, with the ons being definitely more than I wanted. But the bits were all there, there were a few squeaks as gusts would catch me unaware and leave me clawing for the gunwale. The race had a sub-competition - there being one other mirror on the water this morning. I beat them.

It's hard work though. Think I'll stick at one race a day. Now for a bit of feet up.

go well all.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

just a quick one.

Well done Dustin image

no PB here. SAME 44:48 I did in my last 10k. Hate 10ks, wind & hils image

On the plus side: stronger than last time - too bad the course was tough. 1st & last k done in 4:15. Let's forget about the middle bits image

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Well done to all of you on your races!

What: Bike later (Pool still chemically closed!)

Why: Trying to lose weight to make me a better runner!

Last Hard: 22/05/11

Last Rest: 2 days ago

Alehouse: Note the comment re: Garmin and mile mapping, but I'm a bit of a stats geek for seeing what I've done! It's just become a part of my run now, so felt a bit naked without it yesterday! I blame that RW Garmin-ready marathon schedule!

Birkmyre: Was up walking my pair at 7 this morning too! Well done to Geordie for being a pretty puppy!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

What: a.m. couple of miles walking and then slow running whilst marshalling 10k on trails/p.m. about half an hour including 4x about 90 secs efforts
    Why: trying to lose weight to make me a better runner, etc.
    Last hard: realising that I have done something to my foot today...not sure what...struggled to put foot down for a while towards the end of run, and on examination there is a very noticeable and prominent vein on the side of the arch. So ice cold water and ibruprofen.
    Last rest: 09

Alex: Go naked! You know it makes sense! Or go part way and log the distance but don't get hung up about times...yet.

Don: well done! And Chick: that's OK

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Well done Donaldo and Chick on your races today

Hope all the dads have had a good day

LMUH Hope all went well today - thats a long way hills too

What: Nothing
    Why Rest day ran the previous 7 days and its my birthday
    Last Hard: not sure
    Lyrics not sure on that one either

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

donaldo
    Congrats - that's some PB!

chick
    Consistent or what?

Martock 10K was a nice little race, under 200 runners, but a well marshalled, well signed single lap course.  Uphills weren't that severe, more rolling than hilly.  Ideal temperature, gusty wind but it stayed dry.

After a rather quick 3:46 opening K I settled down and got to half way in 21:00
    Lost concentration for the next couple of K, rallied a bit and finished in 42:30.

10 seconds slower than the last 10K, slightly more challenging course, so just about OK.

Major achievement - 1st lady took 43min - so for the first time ever I've finished ahead of the 1st Lady!

• Happy Birthday Pammie!

Well done Donaldo - fantastic result.

Chickadeee - I know it doesn't help but they can't all be PBs.

40 - you sound happy with that - especially in not getting chicked image

birkmyre - awwww, who's a pretty boy.

Alehouse - hope it's nothing and short lived.

Well, I completed my ride - 70.52 miles according to the Garmin with 1947m of ascent. Happily twiddled my way up the hills with my newly fitted triple but have to face the fact that I'm still a carp climber. Really not sure what to do about Henderson. It was a bit windy in places but stayed dry despite the ominous grey clouds that kept gathering, a few people missed a sign but generally I thought it was well organised and the free massage after really soothed my aching rhomboids.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Happy birthday Pammie!

Nice work 40 mins. Wish I could run the first K that fast! Can't seem to break 4 mins at the moment.

LMH: that's a looong ride! Well done! What is Henderson?
    And I hope the foot problem is shortlived too...walking fine just now...will see what tomorrow brings. Have not worn my orthotics for a long time...have put them in my ordinary shoes, at least temporarily.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Don - Target hit

Chick - No PB but another tough one under the belt

LMH - sounds like hard work

40 - Nice work.

Meself i did 13 miles in the end. It was one of those runs when you wanted the end to come, so no heroics. Slight Pain in the Ar5e. Mind you the arse man is back tomorrow so i must go for a rub asap.

HM planned for next week, so i hope things improve.

Happy Birthday Pammie.

Its 8 years tomorrow since i got hitched so i suppose i better do something for mrs PM tomnorrow (Flowers and card secured for morning I'll be great after that image

I think she has forgotten.......

Talk tomorrow.

• Fat chance Paddy - she's just not reminding you image

Alehouse - Henderson is the World Championships, an 03 distance triathlon (4k; 120k; 30k) on the Silverman course - said to be the hardest full distance course in North America, and very hilly, which really plays to my weaknesses. I've qualified to represent GB as an age grouper but the course is as bad as it could be for me. The sensible thing to do would be to try to qualify for next year and hope that it's a course that suits me better but I'm really worried that I'll get ill again and not be able to continue with tri/running so be left with a 'I could have' - which would be much worse than an 'I represented GB at the Worlds and came last in my age group' if that's the last chance I have. If it were in the UK I'd definitely give it a go but it means Mark (my husband) sacrificing our annual holiday and of course a high level of expense. Ahh, if only we had chrystal balls eh?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    LMH: get the plane booked! You can always work on the hills!
  • That's the trouble Alehouse - I have been, for months, and I'm still carp. Even had a triple fitted to the bike - which helped today but I'm still a really poor climber.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Donaldo
    Chickadee - good pacing to get the same time again...!!!
    40mins nice racing you seem happy with your performance as a whole

Take care

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Damn, my watch had it at marginally short of 10K but other folks online are saying it was about 250m short..... can't quite say that I got under 40 mins just yet!!!

Well done chickadee and 40, two good runs image

• LMH - dont be silly - get yer arse over there. Then do it next year also - if you have a poor perf this year it will give you something to aim at - and either way you have represented your country - not many can say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • LMUH - echo Paddy!! Most people would love to qualify for their country! Don't worry about the hills, just tell yourself you are conserving your energy for the downhills, the flats and the RUN!!!

Donaldo - 240m short - and you ran 39mins! You are well under 40 mins - well done.

40 mins - nice running - good stuff.

Chickadee - that is still a very good solid run - it will happen when you least expect it.

Pammie - Happy Birthday!!

Paddy - happy anniversary.

Alehouse - hope the foot settles down.

Happy fathers' day to all you fathers! Not fathers' day here though.

What: 4.5 miles in the bush with Mae. Very hilly, had to wade through a stream, did have one huge road hill on the road to make the run into a loop, but most of the time Mae was off the lead - so we both had fun.