'Mature' runners.

Comments

• ((( OT )))

So Redbonce, the 'pool is your next challenge is it now?!  Are you Benzy in disguise in running every marathon in the UK? image

'Tis piddling down here.  Hope to run later.  I quite enjoy running in the rain however not in storms of the rain or wind kind!

• Managed to dodge the rain today. Just a 3.33 mile jog this afternoon. I have received my race no. for Sunday's 10k. and hope the weather is better.
  • Everyone in our household is more at ease today, my son gave his friend a welcome boost to his morale by turning up at his bedside, family only they told him in intensive care, my son explained he was his best man and would'nt take no for an answer, so they let him in. They met each other at school when they were both 12 years old and have been friends ever since. 

He will be out of intensive care before he has another operation on wednesday, he will  then  require a skin graft at a later stage.He has been a very lucky young man, apparently his army belt with all his gear on saved him, the shrapnel cut through that before sliceing into his leg.

No running today due to work commitments but sure do feel happier today.

Redhead, good luck with the training schedule.

Columba, take it easy.

• OT, your son's friend was very lucky. I work with many Americans whose spouses or other loved ones are deployed in dangerous areas, it's always a worrying time.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

OT, that is good news. May his recovery be swift.

My first session of long intervals today. Done on the treddy. Oh my! image

Sorry Columba, my walk yesterday was just 3 miles through the woods. Very pleasant and it didn't rain until I got home image
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Popping by to say hello, but as more of a visitor. I haven't run for almost a month.

That should change soon as I'm getting my head back to where it needs to be - sort of, amd starting to plan another challenge.

Sorry to read of your sadnesses OT, 62 is too young to die, and I guess the wounded soldier is *much* younger than that. I'm glad he's a survivor, but imagine things will be tough for quite a while. It's good he has friends like your son as well.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

IW - good swim/run in fairly unpleasant conditions, - you deserved your prize.

OT - that sounds like good news. Glad your son was allowed in. 

I am taking it easy, doing exactly what the physio advised. 1 mile this morning, walk/jog, slightly more jog than yesterday (and conversely less walk).

Summer solstice today. What's the good of all that extra daylight if the clouds and rain are cancelling it out?  

• OT great news that your son's best friend is making progress!

A dry, sunny day today, but very windy. I am taking it easy this week and did a relaxed 5.25 mile run this afternoon. The tree fellers seem to be "everywhere" now and are cutting up the ground with their heavy vehicles. Someone had pinned a notice to a gate into the forest advising that they had lost an Ipod touch, and a telephone No.if anyone found it. I was wondering whether  anyone would be honest enough to report it. On the otherhand, how are we to know that the writer of the notice is the genuine owner.

• Many thanks everyone.

The local press are to feature the injured soldier in their weekly issue.

I'm well up for a game of footie tonight.!!!image

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    1 mile, 2 mins walk alternating with 4 mins jog. No ill-effects.
  • Very wise JJ

Just caught up with the thread after trip to Brum (treat for Er Indoors, Coppelia at Royal Ballet) then Peterborough for International Orchid Show (treat for me) .

Sorry to hear of all the troubles.Don't like to add to them but one of my three remaining sisters is in hospital in Margate and not likely to survive (lung cancer). She lives with an older sister who has been somewhat dependent on her for care.I took two brothers to visit last week. My nieces are taking  the situation in hand thankfully.

Did 4 miles monday and  yesterday at the club was 3x 1600 metres with 3 minute rests, aimed for 8: 40 but only achieved 8:42, 8:52,9:02.

• Our soldier has long way to go, but he is improving slowly and mentally he is fine.

A bit of normality for a change, 6 miles tonight on what has been a muggy evening.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

(((Digit))), so sorry to her about your sister.

6 mile tempo run done and dusted and I managed to maintain my 10k pace in the 2 middle miles even though they involved tough hills image

Columba, sounds as if you're getting better.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Digit - Coppelia and an orchid show... They'd definitely both be treats, in my book!

Very sorry to hear about your sister. Sounds as though you come from quite a large family; is that so? What will become of the more dependent older sister; will your nieces cope? 

OT - very good news that your son's soldier friend has not suffered mentally. 

Red - I'm sure I am getting better. Not that it was very bad in the first place; but I certainly didn't want it getting worse. This morning's outing was 2 mins walk, 5 mins jog, and over a slightly extended distance (more than a mile, less than a mile and a half). However, I have said a sorrowful goodbye to my target of 1000 miles for the year; I was barely keeping up as it was, and am now about 30 miles behind. Will set a more realistic target for next year. 

Your training seems to be going well. I imagine you're following a schedule of some sort? 

• Columba My father who was born in 1887 and had 4 kids by his first wife who died in 1923 and my mother had eleven, so I had 7 brothers and 7 sisters. I know, it sound s like a musical! Dad was not religious just a Victorian. Currently I have 3 sisters and 3 brothers remaining. And lots and lots of nephews and nieces, and their sprogs and great sprogs. My eldest remaining sister suffered a head injury by a doodlebug and is living in a flat with wardens but is likely to have to be moved to a care home. This is what the other sister's (who is in hospital) children will take care of.

Must go now. Club road run tonight.

• My post of about an hour ago has disapppeared!

Ran an easy pace 4 miles this afternoon.

The forecast for Sunday is 28 deg. which is rather too hot for my liking. Sunday's race is, therefore, likely to be slower than anticipated.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Digit - good heavens, your family tree must look like a banyan!

2 mins walk, 6 mins jog this morning, for just over a mile and a half. 

• JJ they are now forecasting that it could touch 30C in the South. If it does reach that temperature, I will certainly think twice about racing. It starts at 10.30, so may not be too bad then.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

2 mins walk, 7 mins jog, for just over 2 miles.

Damp and windy here; certainly no sign of high temperatures. 

• Muggy oop here in yorkshire and storm clouds gathering, were expecting the heatwave tomorrow.

No running today as i'm running in the Rainton 10k in the morning which is a 11.45 start which will be hard work in the midday sun.

Have a good weekend everyone.

JJ, i hope you've tidied up before the boss has got home image

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Phew, it's a real scorcher down here today and it's too hot out there for me at the moment image

Thankfully I was out at 6am to do my 10 miler which was jolly hilly but I maintained my planned pace and so am feeling quite pleased with my little leggies image

TE & OT, I hope you were both OK if you raced - at 10:30 it was already 26 degrees here!
  • Hi Redhead,

I have survived but it was an ordeal rather than a pleasure as it should be. Sun beating down, very little shade and 28 degrees. I've said this before and no doubt i'll say it again i was mad for starting, it nearly broke my soul but i persevered. Several runners collapsed but i understand all were okay after treatment. 

It took me 68-58 with the mile splits not worth recording.

I hope TE is okay

• Hello all, I'm a beginner runner started just before my 50th birthday just over 4 months ago. I started running because I've always wanted to run but find it very bloody difficult.
    I've recently completed a Race for Life 10k in 1. Hr 14 mins and have a Jane Tomlinson run for all 10 k at York on the 31st July . My Nike plus sport band logged me as running 10 k in 61 .1 I was ecstatic for my 1 st attempt unfortunately I hadn't calibrated it properly! Did 5 miles today in 1.10 mins sooooooo hot had to walk some that was at 9.00 am I really hope there's a nice breeze and a bit of drizzle on the 31 st July.
  • Hi Pixiep and welcome to the forum. It's great that you have taken up running and I am sure that you will find your times improve the more you run.

Red and OT, my race went very well and the heat didn't bother me too much. I think all my miles running on trails through soft sand, mud etc. and up steep hills has toughened me up, and running on the roads seemed easy in comparison. I overook too many runners and walkers to count in the last 2k, many of whom were absolutely exhauasted and struggling to keep going. Although I didn't meet my target of sub 50 mins. I was very pleased with my 52.29, which was a big improvement on last years 54.50.

The distance according to my Garmin was 6.22 miles, and my mile splits were :- 8.05, 8.24, 8.02, 8.53, 8.44, 8.45, 1.32. The official results are not yet up on the web, so I don't know where I came.

OT, well done on completing your race in the heat.Times in the circumstances are not that important.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Hello and welcome Pixiep. - I also had a late start to running; began 9 years ago and am now aged 67.  You sound as though you're doing really well. What part of the country do you live in? - Somewhere near York? 

Red - Your training seems to be progressing very successfully. Well done you for getting out at 6.00 a.m. I was out earlyish (having been warned of the coming high temperatures) but not that early. Now built up to 2 and a half miles-ish, 2 mins walk 8 mins jog/run, - no ill-effects whatsoever, I think I can consider myself fully recovered and just got to build the mileage back up. 

OT and TE both, - many congratulations on completing races in this heat. - especially OT with nearly-broken soul. You can look back on it complacently.