Himalayan Research Expedition 2011

I am a PhD student looking into the effects of pre-acclimatisation on performance at high altitude. I'm also a fell runner and am organising a research expedition to the Everest region this November.

We aim to summit Mera Peak at around 6500m over a 3 week period. This is the highest trekking peak in Nepal and whilst not technical it does require winter mountaineering skills. The expedition is being led by Dave Bunting (MBE), who previously led the 2006 Army expedition on the West ridge of Mount Everest.

Team members need to be based near Leeds as they will be required to attend testing sessions in our altitude laboratory. Some winter walking experience using crampons would be desirable along with experience of 'roughing it', whether that would be wild camping or independent travel in a 3rd world country.

The research project is looking at the effects of pre-acclimatisation using an altitude laboratory. By participating in the research you will gain an understanding of how your body responds to high altitude exposure within our laboratory, learn about your fitness level and be given a tailor made programme to complete before the expedition which may involve altitude training. The nature of this expedition is that as well as conducting the research, it provides many opportunities for team members to become involved in the planning, logistics and sponsorship side of the expedition.

We recruited a team just before Christmas but due to the nature of the research I would like to recruit a few more additional team members. The team is currently split gender, aged from 18 to 50+, ranging from someone who has climbed the 7 continental summits to some novices.

We are currently organising our first team training weekends in the Lakes for February and March so it would be great if you could join us then.

Please pm me for more information.

Amanda

Comments