Talkback: TW Team Relay: James's Run Blog #2

Jenson Button's 5km time at the Blenheim Triathlon Sprint last week was 20.55, so under that and you have defeated a World Champion - good luck. 

Comments

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

3 runs a week, one of which is a handicap race and the other a speed session?

Honestly, you'd get a better result just playing football 3 times a week.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Thats sirjogalot (on the blog) Moraghan - google and you shall find some entertainment imageimage
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    I assume the domain name sirjogoccasionally was already taken.
  • parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    You mean Sir 'I'm doing absolutely tons of training for my marathon at 20 miles per week and I also have to cram on top of that sooooo much self publicity work to keep my adoring fans happy' jogalot? image
  • Hi guys.

I'd really appreciate it if we could keep it constructive on here. If you think my training plan is inadequate, then by all means, feel free to help me out and explain why.

But lets try not to put off any beginners from asking questions or engaging by starting a flame war.  The forumites are better than that!

Many thanks,

James RW

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

James alright fair enough. We'll play nicely. You could do worse than checking out this thread. Which certainly goes some way to explaining about requisite training blocks and their relative proportions. If you want to lay out the last few weeks of your training and your target races for the year then feel free and we can offer some specific constructive advice. 

James RW wrote (see)

Hi guys.

I'd really appreciate it if we could keep it constructive on here. If you think my training plan is inadequate, then by all means, feel free to help me out and explain why.

But lets try not to put off any beginners from asking questions or engaging by starting a flame war.  The forumites are better than that!

Many thanks,

James RW

I think we did that once before, James, and got the response that I referred to in my post. image

But you raise a good point about beginners because so much about RW is focussed on rushing beginners into marathons on woefully inadequate training.

Why not start encouraging sensible progression to marathons over 2-3 year timescales rather than the shit or bust in 12 week approach that probably sends a fair proportion straight back to the sofa in double quick time? Just a thought! 

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    James - you work at Runner's World, is there nobody in your office that can help you put something sensible together?
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)
    James - you work at Runner's World, is there nobody in your office that can help you put something sensible together?
    *overiding urge to take the piss* imageimage
    I must admit that Moraghan did almost make me spit my coffee out with that one! image
  • >> ✭✭✭
    5000m in a triathlon does in no way represents a 5k race !

in any case if you want to beat jenson button it is hard. this guy i met wrote a 'i think i can beat jenson button' blog and in the end he did not beat jenson button at the triathlon. he was a few seconds out so it is a very good read on how to prepare for a race.

in any case i met this guy and he ran 18 minute 5k parkrun at finsbury parkrun. this is a hard course so you would have to be near 17.30 5000m on a flat course. he lost to jenson in the end so to beat the the champion you might be looking at 17.30 at a stand alone 5k race.

in any case have a read of this. best of luck !

http://ithinkicanbeatjensonbutton.tumblr.com/
  • >> ✭✭✭
    what is the training plan then ?

i'm intrigued.