VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• and as usual a good rugby shirt too!!!

Mark I LOVE todays quote!! Going to tell my daughter that one at the weekend to remind her how hard she is working will turn out good in the end.

33 days Gatton???????????????? I can only dream about that.........hope you get in some warm weather training. Love to Mrs G and come see us when you get back, my cats need attention!!

Hey USB you speedy thing - when is the next marathon?

Anyone know the date for Rio's tri over my way??
  • Cycled in and nearly ran over to baby rabbits there are hundreds on the trail at the moment, someone has been busy......!! Cooking tea tonight  got some chicken any ideas please??? MIght do chicken in mustard sauce............time for a coffee while listening to Tom Jones on Chris Evans in the office life is tough and I have heaps of orders over £230.000.00  for the month already which I had the profit on that lot.  Happy Friday.............image

The shortest answer is doing!

• Hello all image

Quick update.  Training is going ok at the moment thank you.  Still very slow on the bike but have lots of hill rep things to look forward to tomorrow so am sure that will do something for me.  I had a great running week this week and actually feel a bit more like a runner again so I must be getting stronger.  My average long run pace is a little over 10mm which is an awful lot quicker than it has been since I started training for IM 2 years ago.   Swim times are improving a little too so on the whole it is not too bad.

Did a 4hour turbo session before travelling up to Bala last weekend for the swim leg of a relay.  That weather was awful and it felt more like swimming in the sea than in a lake!!  My swim was 4 minutes slower than last year but having said that at least I made it out successfully and did not suffer too much fromthe cold unlike last year.  I probably could have got on the bike and toddled off if I had had to.  Having said that though out of 800 competitors at Bala 200 were DNF because of the cold in the swim or on the bike.

Pinks my half IM at Emberton is on 3rd July.  My wave starts at 7am if you are going to be there for the swim too image.  I would imagine if you are going to spectate then probably in Emberton on the edge of the park would be the place to be as (from what I can see) the bike leg is 2 big laps and 1 small lap, which go through the and then the run is 4 laps of the park and village.
    It would be good to see you if you can make it - but if the weather is like last weekend it might be wise to give it a miss!!

• Respect and all the best that you stay fit and strong RIO.............
  • Thanks Mark.  Only 7 weeks to the big day now so on count down for sure image
  • FBook spam giving me problems. Have to bin it and start again.

Anybody running at the moment?

Managed a plod yesterday slowly over the hills and dales. All of about 5 miles.

• Rio - I'm worm out just reading that.  Best of luck with your count down to the big day.

Mark - hope you are on the mend.

Back to running club tonight for a hill session - thats if I can get away from work on time. 

Hi to everyone elseimage

• Rio have you any idea what time - ish your run will be as I'm not sure I would make the swim at 7am as have a party the night before!!

Did a really hard session this morning - not helped by the fact it was at 5am as only time today I could fit a run in!! - 3 lots of 2k with 3 min recovery. I seem to be fine on the short speeds and fine on the long steady/endurance runs but anything akin to a tempo just floors me! Do I just have to keep doing them to get used to it - any suggestions? I would even prefer the hill reps to the long intervals like that!

Ro/Kim/Mark how are the injuries? Hash what are you up to and how is the job? Suze how was club session?

..........quiet on here recently!!
  • Defintely start long intervals slow and then pick it up.
  • Back still sorish but cycling a fair few miles now to stay fitish! Ran a mile with no 3 to get her running abit ready for junior cross country and sports day.
    Glad you are fit pb not many of us running at the moment due to injury, bad year for me, must be getting on abit. Keep doing the tempo it will come I am sure.
  • afternoon all!!

i'm in the middle of a 10shift week at work so not been online for a while- so will have a proper look back tomorrow after my early shift when sleep is not a a premuim....

Monday Imanaged 7 x 400m all under 8 min mile pace except 1- where I was hampered by a fire in bushy park that choked me- and yes I was being nosey at the people being chased by the police for setting fire to stuff

and today just back from a 4 mile tempo run with 1 mile warm up and cool down and 2 tempo miles in the middle where Imanged 9.17 and 9.19- which I am VERY happy about, not bad as I was aiming for 9.40s for the middle two but i'll take those two image

happy wednesday all

• Hi all, hope everyone is ok here, have had a couple of busy work days plus 2 all day gigs to work  at last weekend so not really been around. The good news is tha I think finally I am on the mend. I had a 25 minute run on Monday, my legs were really stiff on account of being on my feet all day Saturday and Sunday but eveything else seemed ok, the groin was hurting a little but the run seemed to help.

Then last evening I went over to the club to sort out the mile markers for the club race on Thursday, I went in my kit and ran with one oerson there and did just about 4 miles, only slowly aroun 10.06 but I felt fine at the end. Good thing is I think my fitness is not too bad still as I didn't feel tired at all. I will take a rest day today and see how I am to do maybe 5 miles and a gym session tomorrow before I see the physio.

Pinks your training is going really well. image

• Good to hear you are on the mend. Where have you been moshing Rod?image

• only some local things Mark nothing exciting but it was ok.
  • Thats good to hear Rod - soon be back racing again I hope. I did 5.5 at 8.30 pace ish tonight with Mandy. It was really humid again and seemed to be lots of bugs and midges out in the air so I was itching like crazy when I got in.

Vik you are doing so well since marathon training I think you are going to get a massive PB at the half. When is it?

Anyone here been to Vegas? We are going to go for a couple of days when we re out in California, fly down from SF, so looking for hotel recommendations/tours and trips etc. Kim has given me some ideas but just wondered if anyone else been?
  • Good old rest seems to have helped Pinks, I had sort of accepted It may take an age to get sorted and so had made some contingency plans, hopefully I will not now need them. Tomorrow all being well I will be out again and take it from there. The good thing yesterday that 4 miles though not a lot didn't touch me so at least the gym and so on has helped keep me on track.
  • Hello, hello

All looking good on here - I had a nice hilly session at the club on Tuesday.  Think I like the hills more than the speed ones.

Ah Pinks my favourite subject I won't bore you but.... we stayed in the Signature which is part of the MGM but set back off the strip.  Massive rooms and a huge bath/hot tub.  We are thinking of going next year and I like the look of the Wynn or one of the city centre hotels, this was being built when we were there.  You have to do a helecopter ride over the strip at night and Pink Jeep Tours are really good if you want to venture to the Grand Canyon.  Ps, please be brave and gamble, I was too scared to play the black jack tables so stuck to the slots and wish I hadn't. 

Right, I'm off work today and tomorrow, off to see Kings of Leon at Hyde Park tonight, might squeeze in a run at some point.

Happy Thursday allimage

• 5 miles @8.30 all good I am back image
  • Great news Rod..............I went for a plod to the bank in town as had £75,000.00 to bank, sadly not mine or I would be off to the USA with the ladies and the gamblers above!!!image

I ran two miles in 18.25 mins so an effort but running again need to get going as only 96 days to the GNR. The cycling has helped but a few pounds on.........

To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing. 

• what I really noticed Mark is the facet I appear not to have lost too much fitness, those gym sessions have helped for sure, thisd is my 3rd run this week and I did run 3 times last week albeit not long sessions.

I'm not worried about GNR, hopefully I will be ok by then, Race The Train is my first priority.

Dont overdo it Mark, I think rest helped more than anything, will see what the physio says later.

• Those that are running seem to be going well. 

Hope the injuries get well soon for those that aren't!

Pinks I am hoping to get off the bike and onto the run around 11am depending on how hilly it is and what the weather is doing!!!

• Bootiful run down the Dale and then back up,phew hard work at 8am this morning, very hot. Managed three and a half miles in 31 mins! Sad but the back is not screaming at me to stop now, just the lungs!!
    Happy Sunday all!
  • Even hotter at 11.30 am Mark image  I really must give up these lie ins
  • Hello people.  Hope some of you are able to enjoy this lovely weather.  It hit 30 degrees c in our office just before lunch time, air con has packed up.

King of Leon were good, now I have Arcade fire on Thursday and Pulp on Sunday.

Not much running done for me, hopefully things at work and home should calm down soon and I can get out at the weekend a bit more.  Club tomorrow night - 800m reps, hope it cools down a bit.

• 3 miles to work this am, phew hot again, though its just started raining abit here now.................Starting on a sub two hour program, though going to adapt it for my dodgey back and see how I go,just want to get to the start line again after so long out of the trainers.............Suze is having fun with all these gigs.........enjoyed Glasto this weekend...............apart from SUnday night, didn't think she was up to much personally...........U2 and Coldplay good and BB King too.

Happy new week to all.image

Silence is one of the hardest arguements to refute...................

• Morning all- from a very hoty and sticky hampton hill!!

had a busy weekend me and mum went to see michael ball at Brighton and it was brilliant!!!

got back home yesterday after a horrendous train journey home- and walked out the lovely air conditioned train into a wall of heat at clapham junction!  But managed to get out a do my 8 x 400m intervals, which for the 3rd week on the trot some decent speedwork- although the last too were a bit iffy but it was just far too humid!!!

happy tuesday all

• Morning cycled in this am, cooler this am up here, tons of rain last night. A fox cub on the trail just sat and looked at me as I sailed past, amazing..........roll on the holidays need one sick of customers complaining that we cant deliver on time which is true but hey..................leave me alone!!!!  (Said in a shouty voice!)

What you all up to race wise over the summer or is it just one big holiday?image

• Afternoon, air con back on and working so well I've had to put a fleece on it's that cold.

Vik - well done for that session in such heat.

No plans for racing over the summer but I may enter the Tonbridge 1/2 marathon which is in September.  I think I'm going to become a supporter and go and cheer on my club mates instead.

• Morning all, some hot running goiung on by the looks of things. I did 8 miles in around 23 degrees Saturday at just a steady pace, then rest Sunday and Monday and 6 miles steady over the fields last night. I am slowly on the mend but wont be doing any races for the time being, am holding off enetering Chester till such as a time as I am fully fit, if I don't do it there are always others. Have a good day all.