Speedo Q&A 7: Training Tips from Rebecca Adlington's Coach

Hello all,

Tomorrow lunchtime (1-2pm) we're joined by swim coach Bill Furniss who'll be answering your questions about training - and about coaching double Olympic gold medallist Rebecca Adlington.

Bill has been Head Coach to both Nottingham County swim squad and Nova Centurion Swim Club since 1980. He has coached swimmers to compete at Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth level, including Rebecca Adlington.

We're opening the discussion and making it 'sticky' now so you've got plenty of time to pile in with questions, and so Bill can get answering your questions at 1pm tomorrow (rather than having to deal with a rush of questions at once). 

Alice

Comments

• Afternoon Bill,
    as a follow up question to Kate's is it better to target frequency (I could get  to the pool every workday lunchtime, but only for half an hour or so in the water) or volume (2 or 3 evening/morning sessions of up to an hour)?

Thanks. 

• In a similar vein I think to the other 2 .....Triathletes are notoriously short on pool time

IF, you only had 2 or 3 sessions a week how would you make best use of your time

I can appreciate the last 3 questions can probably be dealt with in one answer !!!

• I want to do a middle distance triathlon in 2012 or 2013. My swimming feels uncoordinated and I can't get the timing of my stroke and the kick to be in sync. What beat kick is best? I feel very slow in the water. People say my technique is okay. I just don't move fast, or far.  I have been swimming in a lake in a wetsuit 5 times now. I find it hard to keep going. I am not scared. I just seem to take time to get settled with my breathing and get used to the cold water in my nose. I have alwas felt like I should just quit for the first 30 minutes. 

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    hi,apologies for a really basic question. I am hoping to do my 1st tri end of Aug. The swim is the bit putting me off. iv had afew lessons but still cannot manage 3 lengths crawl without my heart late pounding.i think I will have to alternate with breaststroke but, will the crawl ever get any easier?, or is it likely that the technique still needs work. I try to do 40 lengths twice aweek, which takes me 30 mins.i know my leg kick is weak as i dont shift much holding a float. running is so much easier....
  • Hi folks,

I'm afraid I've just had a call from the team at Speedo. Due to unforseen circumstances Bill won't be able to do today's webchat. I'll make sure that when we do get Bill back on board (hopefully next week) this thread is used and your questions are answered!

Apologies again,

Alice