Hills on Treadmill

Over the next couple of weeks, my training plan has me doing hill training. Being that the area that I live in is mostly flat, I have decided to do my training on the treadmill.

My question is, do I do speed intervals at the same time so I am running faster uphill than during my recovery interval or do I try and maintain an even pace throughout? Or do I go slower for the uphill?

eg, my next interval session has me doing 1M Jog, 10x2 min up hill, 90sec jog back, 1M Jog

Don't recall it mentioning pace in there...

Thanks,

Comments

• I'd try to maintain an even pace and see how you get on.
  • Thanks,

I've got my session tomorrow so will try and keep at an even pace - I just need to see what type of incline I can cope with - enough to be tough, but not so much that it wipes me out. I was thinking of starting at 4% and increasing from there if required.

• Sounds sensible - much better to start out gradually and work up than to just go straight for e.g. 12% then have to back down immediately.
  • I'm not sure I understand the question, but it sounds like you are planning on running your recoveries at the same pace as your intervals, with the only difference being the incline. If that's the case your recovery pace will be much too fast. Just run as slowly as you like for recoveries.

Also, if that first 1M is supposed to be a warm up, it is inadequate. I would recommend at least 2 miles.

• Hi,

Yes, based on the advise that Debra gave I was planning my recoveries to be at the same pace as my inclines.

Also, why is 1M inadequate? I have taken the training plan from the Garmin Sub 2:00 training plan on this site which advises the 1 mile warmup/cooldown.

Thanks for the advise.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I agree with Simon on both counts.  The way the session is phrased I read it as a hilly version of an interval session (sounds a bit obvious but, er...) which means that the intensity for the hill section should be very different from the intensity of the recoveries, and I don't think you would get that contrast keeping it at the same pace.  Also agree that 1 mile isn't really enough to get your body ready for the faster running, as it will take longer to get your heart rate stabilised and really get the legs loosened up.

10 x 2mins is similar to an interval session of 10 x 600m (obviously depending on your pace, but near enough conceptually) so you want to think of the sort of intensity you can maintain for that sort of session on the flat.  If you were doing 10 x 600m w/ 90 secs recovery on the track, the recovery jog would be completely different intensity to the reps, so IMO you need to ramp up the incline and the speed for the hill sections and really take it easy in between.  You're trying to replicate a hill session where the jog recoveries are downhill, in which case your heart rate would drop right down before the next hill section.

• So would you advise taking the inclines at the same speed I would if I was doing it on flats?

At present for my speed intervals (again which I do on the treadmill), I tend to run at 9kph for my mile warm up, 12kph for my speed and 8.5kph for my recovery, eventually slowing down to about 6.5kph as I get more tired. (sorry, don't know the pace I am running at)

Would I do the same, just with the incline as well?

Really appreciate the advice image

• What about training on hills carrying a treadmill? That will definitely increase your strength!!!!?!
  • Intensity is what is important for this session, so no, don't run uphill at the same speed as you would on the flat; run uphill at the same intensity as you would on the flat.

As a guideline, the Daniels book has some tables that equate running speeds to mile efforts by using various treadmill grades. For example, he claimes that running 6mph at a 2.9% grade is equivalent to 6.45mph on the flat. However, bear in mind that it is often recommended that a 1-2% grade be added to the treadmill to compensate for the lack of headwind that you would normally experience outside.

I would recommend a bit of a trial and error approach. Carry out your first couple of intervals on the flat at your 12kph to get a feel for the intensity, then increase the incline by a few percent and adjust your speed to replicate the intensity.

• Fantastic, thank you.

I'll work all the advise into tomorrows session image Should make it through the other side image