Up the workers!

Comments

• Nam wrote (see)
     All these people going round openly admitting "oooh you couldn't pay me enough to be a secondary school teacher... a nurse in an old people's home.... a child protection social worker...."

Get that all the time:

"what do you do?"

"I'm a teacher"

"Ooh, nice long holidays, get to leave work at 3.30pm every day, alright for some etc"

"do you have a degree?"

"Yes"

"In that case you could train to be a teacher in a year, get some of the benefits"

"Ha ha no chance you're joking, couldn't put up with all those kids etc"

• I know someone who's an assistant deputy head I think her title is. She works absolutely crazy hours and puts up with some right little sh1ts.

I couldn't do it, I'd be up for manslaughter.

• Jeepers wrote (see)
    SophieC wrote (see)

The only thing is that all the time education is compulsory for 5-16 year olds, I can't see how the government could cease all involvement.

Set schools up as Academies, just bung in the Pupil Premium, then b*gger off, oh and destroy the LAs in the process as they are the real target.

If the government contribute a pupil premium they will still have a vested interest in the use it's put to and will want to know how it's being spent.  Indeed this is very much the current thinking: schools become academies, and govern their own affairs.  BUT no government would risk putting education out to tender wholesale, becuase if it goes tits up it would be such a huge vote loser.

LAs do serve a purpose, eg in terms of admissions, as they ensure every child has a place at a school, and depending on the area do a bit of social engineering so there's an even 'spread' of children from different backgrounds in different schools (though some don't regard that as a positive in the slightest!)

"Also the amount of jobs having to be supported by the private sector."

Public sector workers pay Tax also you know.
  • FFS this 'Public v Private' argument bollox is so tiresome, as well as all the generalisations on this thread.

Me? Admin in the NHS since 99 - done OK.  On a pay freeze for 2 years. Will accept pensions have to change, fair enough as there is simply no money and I wouldn't strike about it. So in reply to Fat Buddah - I have got a f**king grip thanks.

Another point - there are actually jobs in the public sector about...not many I agree, but why don't some of the poor old Private sector or self employed people actually apply for one?

• I have worked as a teacher and other parts of the public sector for nearly 25 years, albeit part time for the last 8 years. O/H works in 'financial services'.

We both have post degree qualifications and work longish hours.

One of us has a good pension pot and I can imagine us living off it comfortably enough if we manage to live to retirement age ( which is longer than our working class parents did). But that one isn't me. 

The recent  headlines from the Daily Mail/Express have been typically deceitful and divisive. Some people - from both sectors- are having, and will have, a really difficult time financially.

Trust George Osbourne enjoyed his jolly to Wimbledon yesterday... 

• Sophie, I've just come to the end of my term of office as Chair of Govs of a local school hence my comment.

Squeakz wrote (see)

I would happily pay more tax to pay for education if I believed that it produced people who contribute to society in a positive manner, im not sure in general it does and this is why I do not support the teachers.

Bit of a sweeping and contentious statement, is it not, Squeakz?  It seems to me that you are judging everyone by your own experience. 

And, FWIW, I completely disagree with you.

Schools have some role to play in helping children grow up in a responsible way, but those with the real responsibility are the parents.  And I say that, as a parent.

Bottom line, none of us on here would be able to do what we're doing today, without an education of some kind.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why all those knocking the public sector haven't found jobs in it for themselves. Just sayin ...
  • Nam wrote (see)
    LB what are you moaning about? You didn't have to take a day off because you don't have to work! So what if a teacher said they are going to do some shopping on a strike day when you spend most of your life shopping. Come on!! And the average life expectancy where you live may be way above 80 but in many poorer areas of the UK it can be as low as 72 for men by the way.

The teacher should be in school TEACHING Nam. That's my point. I don't think teachers should treat it as a free holiday that's all. It's not. You either strike because you believe you have to stand up for your rights or you go to work. What she does in three weeks when they break up for a month and a half is entirely her own business.

It just smacks the face of the people who HAVE had to take an unscheduled holiday at short notice whether they liked it or not. Just because I don't have to go to work doesn't mean it doesn't affect me. My kids are losing a day's education they can't get back. You should hear what Miss LB's school says about time off in term time but it's ok for the teachers to throw their toys with a week's notice.

The downside for me is that I now have five kids instead of two and I can't go running.image

• I suppose so KK.

It just looks like an "up yours, losers" statement to put it on your Facebook to me.image

The YAY didn't help either.

• I would agree with the very original post, in that I don't see how MPs escape this reform
  • Isn't the problem mainly to do with people living longer?
  • We could always get round that by shooting MP's when they've reached the end of their useful life MF... image
  • As far as I know there is no list of permissable activities during a strike day.

She doesn't get paid. What she does on her unpaid day leave is entirely up to her.

If that means that for once she can get to the shops during a weekday, as other people do as a matter of cause, then good for her.
  • i don't see all the fuss about needing to take a day off to look after your children, surely that is the wife's responsibility already?

anyway well done to the coalition for tackling public sector pensions which have long needed reform.
  • Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

FFS this 'Public v Private' argument bollox is so tiresome, as well as all the generalisations on this thread.

Amen.

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    We could always get round that by shooting MP's when they've reached the end of their useful life MF... image

In that case, most of them would be shot before they even get to the H of C.

And please can I be the first with that Gove person?image

All those on strike today are losing a day's pay, so it's not a day's holiday. 

It wasn't that short notice, the secondary school my two attend gave plenty of notice, including warning over ? 2 weeks in advance, then confirmation of the strike more than a week before it was due, followed by confirmation of arrangements for today.   The school remained open for Years 7 and 8 (for reasons of childcare), 9 and 10 didn't have to attend, Year 11 have already officially left school, but any child could come in if childcare was an issue.  It was explained that lessons would not take place as normal, but that staff would be distributed around the classes as much as possible and we were told what the children would be doing during the day.  It was also explained that those who didn't want to come in for the day, wouldn't have to!

And as kk says, it is about the bigger picture.

• *Frodo* wrote (see)

I have to ask those who are struggling to see the teachers' point of view - would you really want your child taught by a 68 year old?

Well if it was a woman at least she wouldn't be off twice in four years on maternity leave. image

And I think I'm with LB on the Facebook shopping comment.  If I'd had to use a day's annual leave it would stick in the craw somewhat to read that.  The teacher is entitled to do what she wants on her strike day, fair enough, she should have shown better judgement than to post in the way she appears to have done. 

• No one mentioned the salerys of the union bosses!

United front, LOL! greddy like the MPs.

• There is indeed a bigger picture.

The old pension system was what is known as a "Ponzi scheme" and it has collapsed, because the amount of time it has to pay out for has increased a lot.

By all means have a strike, and talk a lot about bankers, but it isn't going to reverse the changes.

• biziliz wrote (see)
    *Frodo* wrote (see)

I have to ask those who are struggling to see the teachers' point of view - would you really want your child taught by a 68 year old?

Well if it was a woman at least she wouldn't be off twice in four years on maternity leave. image

I can't believe I'm reading that!  

biziliz wrote (see)
    *Frodo* wrote (see)
    And I think I'm with LB on the Facebook shopping comment.  If I'd had to use a day's annual leave it would stick in the craw somewhat to read that.  The teacher is entitled to do what she wants on her strike day, fair enough, she should have shown better judgement than to post in the way she appears to have done. 

I agree, it was tactless to say the least.

• Why should she? I am assuming this is her private FB page and she thinks her status updates are being read by her 'friends'. She probably has no idea that someone may begrudge that she has been to the shops on strike day!
  • Jeepers wrote (see)
    biziliz wrote (see)
    *Frodo* wrote (see)

I can't believe I'm reading that!  

Mostly tongue in cheek Jeepers.   
  • Nam wrote..

Why should she? I am assuming this is her private FB page and she thinks her status updates are being read by her 'friends'. She probably has no idea that someone may begrudge that she has been to the shops on strike day!

like 'friends' on Facebook have to agree to everything you say and do.  She has the right to shop. Others have the right to begrudge the strike if it has a knock on effect for them and to take umbridge at the remark.

Personally I'd hope that when the schools break up in July she finds her usual consignment of chocolates, wine and smellies to be well short of what she'd normally expect. 

edited because quote function has gone missing (on strike perhaps) and paragraphs disappeared.

• So in your opinion she deserves to be punished somehow for:

a) daring to go on strike to protect her pension and for
    b) having the audacity to visit shops on that day?

Gosh yes now that you put it like this... it's criminal.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "hope that when the schools break up in July she finds her usual consignment of chocolates, wine and smellies to be well short of what she'd normally expect"

she needs to be careful anyway - the Bribery Act comes into force tomorrow which kind of kills the gift thing for many...... image
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

When Muttley Jnr left his junior school he presented the staff with those Russian roulette chocolates you can get in novelty shops ... about 10 choccies, each in the shape of a revolver, all but one with a sweet filling - but one containing "enough chilli to blow your head off".

They appreciated the joke but we never did find out who got the chilli ... 

• I think a distinction needs to be made. It's not the shopping I particularly took objection to. I don't really give too much of a damn what she does to be honest. I DO however think it was a pretty thoughtless comment to rub in the faces of those who have had problems today as a result of the strike. But then again - I don't give too much thought to the shit I post so I can't really blame her for that.image

We've discussed what she wrote now. Several people had commented to her about it and she's now horrified. Poor girl only got a swimsuit too.image

Town was heaving today. Perhaps the strike will have a positive effect on the economy because Warrington was full! image

As for choccies. I never buy teachers choccies. They end up giving them away. I always try to be more personal than that. I've often got them something with their name on etc that they can use practically.

Last year youngest MIss LB had a teacher whom she adored and she had just taken up running and was always picking my brains. She ran the Warrington Half in 1.51 and I bought her a water bottle with a zip compartment for your keys. She was made up with it!

I was very pleased about that. She's left the school now and it is a sadder teacher without her. Good teachers really are worth their weight in gold.

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I have been on strike today, and I visited some shops. I didn't realise that would be an issue. I also got to spend a day with my 9 month old who I rarely see due to my long working hours, is that also as bad?

3 years ago the teachers pension scheme was independently reviewed, there was a strike, and we agreed to pay more/work longer to make the scheme sustainable. The sustainability was backed by the independent review. The tories have refused to get an independent authority to scrutinise the Hutton review, because if they did they would find the problem isn't there for the teachers pension scheme. Its an ideology the tories are pursuing and not necessary. And with 0% wage growth and rising costs of living a 50% increase in pension payments will damage the profession no end. Demoralised teachers, and an inability to attract high calibre graduates into teaching is not what is best for your sons/daughters in the long run is it?