Oxford Half Marathon

Comments

• Dave I could not be happier for this event to go ahead, to run a half marathon in oxford would be fantastic, the only negative feedback I had was Andys response and tone on the group. I felt like he was jumping down peoples throats for asking fair questions. I'm not on this forum to get into a slanging match with anyone, all I did was post from the FB wall in order to provide information for others.
  • Dave

please do you know if this is Mick n Phil friendly - incase you dont know us ,

in other words is it suitable to push a wheelchair around, or is there going to be difficult river paths or woodland paths or anything

starting front or back of pack - what ever suits organisers -

Taking part fully  at our own risk , and with full repsect to all other runners - willing to sign any extra disclaimer

we have completed 226  HM 's best is 1:43 -  and -  41 FM's  best is 4:03

i could not RW mail you as it is not switched on

kindest regards

mick

• Dave, The original version of your own race website stated "UKA licenec no, tbc.". About a week later this was changed to ARC licence. The latter does give the necessary insurance cover but does not have the same guarantees of organisation as a UKA event. However, I doubt if local authorities are too worried by this, though perhaps runners should be. You still do not state clearly whether the traffic management plan has received final approval from both the County and City Councils. But I can easily check this myself via my councillor, so I will sign off from this forum.
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for your questions and just to answer them.

Mick I will get back to you regarding your request, Miranda, I really do understand what you have said, but when you get a guy again I quote putting a message on facebook, "governing body authorisation for the race looks uncertain. The route clearance from Oxford City looks uncertain, It does not make me confident to hand over my money". Stating these things which are totally untrue, then we have to reply and defend ourselves, I hope you can understand. I personally believe Andy was correct to do this as I believe that these were not fair questions based on rumour as the gentleman concerned stated that clearance from Oxford City looks uncertain, Oxford City are not even the decision makers in this, regarding route clearance it is Oxford County. Small points but  need to be clarified. However, even after Andy's comments you said fair enough and would be putting in your entry. Hope this is the case as we would love to have you on board, and really do value your comments.  Postie, thanks  for your support that you hope the race will go ahead and to answer your question, the Traffic Management plan has been approved and permission from the council has been granted, and this was done back in March. Guys, really hope this has clarified some concerns, issues and you cannot believe how excited we are, to get this race going. Kind regards Dave

• Hi Robert,

Please see my last comment about the Traffic Management plan etc. ARC does have the same should we call "powers" as UKA, in respect of a permit. The only difference is that we have decided to go with ARC, thats it!!  I do not want to put people to sleep regarding different governing associations. The most important thing for me is that this event will be a great occasion and I hope you and your club (I presume you are in a club) support this. Again, thanks for your comments and hope to see you on 25th September. To state again if you have any questions, concerns please go onto our website. Robert you have been a regular contributor to this forum and hope you wil continue to do so. All comments are grafefully received.

• Hi to Mick n' Phil, I recall doing several races against you some years ago. For your purposes only, I would rate the difficulty of this proposed course as only slightly more than the White Horse Half. There are a couple of under-passes and a narrow course might be an occasional problem for you. However, if the road closures are fully granted you would have some good straight and flat stretches of road to compensate. Good luck to you both.
  • Dave Box wrote (see)

the Traffic Management plan has been approved and permission from the council has been granted, and this was done back in March.

Dave

Can you point to a URL or upload a document about this. It seems strange that there has been so much debate in this forum (which only started at the end of May) and others over road closure plans when you say they have been in place and approved since March.

• Well, I'm going to vote with my mouse, and then feet and have just entered. Now, Dave - do you have proof that it's going to be a bright, dry and not too windy day? image
  • Mick'n'Phil  there is a small cobbled section running parrallel to the High if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

• I'm so excited about this event, it's about time Oxford had a half marathon again! And a big thank you to Dave and Andy for getting this up and running ('scuse the pun!),project managing a new half marathon and bringing all the elements together must be a monumental task and I'm sure it will be a fantastic day to remember!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I've never seen so much debate and conjecture about a race ! I don't see why people have such doubts before a race has even been staged once, it's not like it's happened other years and let people down, so give it a chance. Seems to me that the organiser has answered everything pretty fairly.

There were a few people a few pages back who by their own admission have interests in local races on the same day....i wonder if their objections are legitimate or to protect their own race.

My one downer on this race is that if it doesn't have a UKA license, the results won't count on power of 10....I've been stung by that before image

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    well....what the heck...im in image...entry done.
  • I think I'll enter this one now.
  • Stevie G . wrote (see)

I've never seen so much debate and conjecture about a race ! I don't see why people have such doubts before a race has even been staged once, it's not like it's happened other years and let people down, so give it a chance. Seems to me that the organiser has answered everything pretty fairly.

There were a few people a few pages back who by their own admission have interests in local races on the same day....i wonder if their objections are legitimate or to protect their own race.

My one downer on this race is that if it doesn't have a UKA license, the results won't count on power of 10....I've been stung by that before image

SG, are you sure about ARC and po10? I am sure High Wycombe half is run under ARC and is in po10, but South Bucks 10k is ARC and is not in. I don't think it is a blanket rule.

My concern is the big bang start this race has. Most races start out as a small race and grow over time. Evenraces such as the London marathon started out with modest beginnings as the Polytechnic marathon in 1909. 

With an established race there are previous years to look at and if they are good then the race grows and if they are bad it declines and dies. If you set out to run a big race from day 1, I think it reasonable to set out as much information as you can from the start as people are always scared of the unknown. If you put out vague info then people will make up the missing bits.

The guys orghanising the 2012 marathon for the Olympics ahve their route sorted out and have done a pre-run, that is the sort of confidence boosting steps I like.

Idon't like things such as the chaos at Edinburgh half well reported in this forum.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression...mostly from the power of 10 guys that a race had to be UKA to count. That seemed to be their reason in fobbing me off the twice I've got under 36mins in a 10k yet neither counted.

Still counts as a pb is the main thing I guess...but would be nice to trouble the rankings image

• Since Power of 10 is very much tied up with UK Athletics (if not part of it), it doesn't surprise me that races without a UKA license don't get on their website
  • we'll go for it if they'll have us

• I hope they do micknphil - you guys bring something special to a race.
  • Mick- I have run all of the course over the past few weeks and it is perfectly safe for you to run with Phil. I am sure the organisers would only too pleased to have you in the race.
    Have you sent in your entry?
  • Mick n Phil, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I don't attend the forum that often, we would be more than happy to have you run the Oxford Half Marathon and look forward to seeing you both on the 25th September.

Guys, just a note that if you have any queries or question please go to the website www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk  as you will get a quicker response.

Message to Robert Logan, I have noted your comments in one of the Oxford newspapers and the mention that the road closures will call massive disruption (they will not as it is very important for us as race organisers to be sensitive to local residents, businesses and emergency services).

Without going into detail, I feel I know the reasons why you are against the staging of this race, I find it surprising because you are a local runner and member of a very local running club but whatever makes you happy.  If you have a real concern about us coming from Somerset, and the issues in general, please e.mail us on the website and we will come back to you. To assume that we have always come from Somerset and having no connections with Oxford is really quite naive.

Hope everybody who has entered really enjoy themselves we have got lots of entertainment not just for the runners but also the spectators and it will finish actually inside the stadium which will create a great atmosphere. Thank you for all your comments and  it really is not long to go now. Cheers Dave

• Hi Dave,

Well, you didn't read my letter that carefully! I did not use the adjective "massive" in terms of disruption and I merely said that your company's connections to Oxford were unclear. I was making a political point about the ethics of the City Council creating disruption to benefit a commercial company. Of course you may have an entirely different business arrangement with them but neither side has made this transparent.

As it happens I did e-mail you via the race web-site  but for whatever reason received no reply.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just read all of this thread - interesting stuff!

Anyway onto what is by far the most important aspect of all this.... image   Can any locals state whether this is likely to be a PB course? The website says 'fast and flat', and I've read that you go down the steepest hill and any uphills are pretty gentle. I'm considering a trip down for this, but partly cos I'll be chasing a time really. From what I can gather it looks pretty quick, but just wondered if any locals could confirm really.

Cheers image

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    LS21....Oxford is flat flat flat...i struggle to find anything hilly to train onimage...you will be fine
  • The worst ups and downs are likely to be the underpassesimage
  • Hi,

I entered the Oxford Half Marathon today via the online form on their website, and although I've had a receipt from RBS WorldPay, I haven't heard anything from the organisers to confirm my entry. I am a little bit worried, as it says on the website that "your place will be allocated and confirmed immediately". I have also emailed them (only a few hours ago though), but haven't had a reply yet. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

• RE LS21's query about a fast course, I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with the route so can't comment on it's PB factor - but all of the responses so far are about it being flat, when there are many other things that can contribute to how "quick" a course is: it's twistyness, exposure to the elements, too busy / narrow, number of other runners (either getting in your way, or helping pace you along)....
    Not really a helpful answer, I know. I guess it won't be until after the 9th October when people can compare times with other races, that we'll know for sure.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Thanks for the responses re the course image I just wanted to know how flat it was really. It doesn't look too twisty from the course map on the website, and I guess you just take your chances re the weather - so if it's a calm day then it's a quick course by the looks, which is all I wanted to know really.

So looks like I might be in for this then. Best get myself some accommodation sorted then!

Thanks again for info - much appreciated.
  • Just spotted this but not sure whether i can get fit enough for it in time. Anyone tell me what medical support there will be there on the day?

• I have now received a confirmation email to say that my entry has been accepted image

• Anyone know what's up with the website today?  Just tried to go on to put my entry in and it's not working.