A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Talk about tapering … haven’t run since Tuesday before tomorrow’s race … actually perhaps I should get out there and try something … just something short … back soon!Went out for a 5 mile walk earlier though … lovely walk around country lanes, paths and through fields …
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

hello Mathematicimage 

Just popping in to wish BB a BIG good luck for Aberdare tomorrowimage. Wish I could be there, but I've been seduced by the quest for club champs points in a 10k up the road from me. Only downside is that it's multi terrain with farm tracks, a disused quarry, an abandoned railway line, a 1:4+ hill and lots of mudimageimage

good running going on hereimage

good luck to everyone running/racing at the weekendimage

• Good luck this weekend’s racers … ShiYa, Ado, Chrissie!  Was the race actually today??? How did it go?? Reports please!

FP – one of those funny sort of races … does show how you’ve improved in the last two years though that you were faster even though it wasn’t one of your better runs. So well done.

ShiYa – Don’t worry about not meeting the target – 91 miles is amazing – as does your holiday (jealous)!!

I use a Garmin, so am always aware of my heart rate. I don’t do many runs totally based around heart rate, but used to find that if my HR was say, under 170, I’d be able to maintain that pace for quite a few miles (pretty much up as far as I had trained for), between 170 and 180, I could run for a mile or two until my performance started to deteriorate and if over 180, that would be a pace I would only be able to maintain for the final half mile or mile. Over 190, I’d be about to collapse! In my better races, my HR has tended to be in the 160s for the first half or two thirds of the race then may go up to the low 170s later in the race. Have been finding, now that I’m getting my running legs back, the same sorts of principles apply. So for the Aberdare race am planning to run the first mile (downhill) at a decent pace, but not letting HR get above 165? Then for the uphill part, try to keep under 170 and the final 3 miles keep in the low 170s as a maximum until I’ve entered the final 800 metres, when I’ll just push at the fastest pace I know I can maintain to the end and blow the heart rate! Also listen to my body of course as well and try to feel the pace.  Sorry if a bit long-winded to a simple question!

Det – well done on just getting out there and having a blast on your run (in 219! – how spooky!). Hope your Achilles doesn’t prove bothersome though : ( What was the time in the end (I know it wasn't the main focus though!)

Chrissie – one thing about starting with slower runners is the good feeling you get when you are overtaking runners rather than being overtaken.  Hope you don’t get blocked too much though or knocked out of your rhythm.

Nice to meet you, Mathematic. Hope you can beat your target (Sounds a good chance you will) and stick around.

Sounds a sensible option to have chosen WM! And some great training runs this week!

Jason – that race to me sounds like a nightmare, but sounds just like a Jason race!!! Enjoy and I’m sure you will run well!

Thanks for the best wishes for Aberdare – I’ve set myself three targets … EASY ONE (most important) – enjoy myself and finish! MEDIUM ONE – get under 1hr 14 (last 10k training run was 1h 13, 57s). DREAM ONE – get under 1 hr 10. It is a fast course (150 metres down with only 35 metres ascent), so the 1hr 10 is just to give me something to strive for if legs are feeling good in the second half of the race. Will be happy with any one of these results though! Definitely not looking back, only forward.

Got out for a loosener run tonight … just to make sure everything was still working … happy enough with the pace even though only just over 2 miles.

JJJ – 2.14/50
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    BB- my race sounds like a nightmare to me too! image. Sounds like you've got a plan though! Well worked out, but don't forget to go with how you feel a bit too! Looking forward to ALL the reports!imageimage
  • BB, my time was 71 minutes, we did it in 68 last year and 74 the year before. Tbh was disappointed when I saw the time, I wish I hadn`t opened the email! Good luck tomorrow.
  • Just a quick pop in as still away from home. Just wanted to wish you well today with your comeback BB will report on my half when I get home.
  • Oh quickly welcome Mathematic! Did you mean a whole week rest before a race? If so not sure that's a good idea!!
  • Hey Jason ... did end up following your advice as it turned out, even though have only just read this ... good luck in your up and down dale race image)

Det - that was 71 on a tough old course ... well done - I'm impressed image

Thanks Flo - looking forward to your report ... mine is about to follow ...

• Home and happy after the Aberdare 10k image

Managed to develop a corker of a blister image yesterday while walking, but fortunately on the side of my heel, but tbh once you start running, there’s plenty of other parts of the body to ache to make you forget about it anyway! Early morning porridge and OH kindly drove me to the start (which is 10k up away from the finish!)

Saw a couple of people from the club at the start which was nice. The final bus bringing people from the start arrived eventually, and we started 5 or 10 mins late. Using Heart rate to dictate my pace went out the window in the very early stages, since it was registering some weirdly high readings … probably I’d put it on way too early and the saliva to lubricate the connections had dried up?? Anyway went back to tried and trusted run at the pace your body is telling you is right and did the first mile in 10:50 – pretty much at the rear of the field I think. Next mile was OK (averaging 11:07 miles) by the time the race’s only real “hill” started – and that’s a real gentle incline for a mile or so. At this point overtook 3 or 4 people I think ... At the half way point I was on 11:23 mm average so with the downhill to come was thinking sub 1 hr 10 might be on the cards after all.

The next bit was pretty uneventful, but realised that my hopes of bombing down the hill for the next 2 miles (bombing being a very relative term here!) weren’t going to happen. By the time It flattened out with 1 km to go, my average pace was down to 11:25 mm and legs feeling heavy. Isn’t it funny when you look in a window when you’re passing thinking you are running at a reasonable pace and you see this person staggering along?! Maybe it’s just me!!

Part two in a moment ...

• 800 metres from the end there’s a swine of a footbridge that snakes up and around over the road towards the stadium. Last time I ran this (in 2009) I tried the running purist approach and kept running up and around it … nearly killed me and I was pooped for the final 700 metres with the walkers over the bridge overtaking me before the finish. Older and wiser now I walked up the bridge and ran down the other side. Was down to 11:30 pace after the walk and unsure whether I’d be able to pick it up again. Through the car park saw a couple of people I knew who’d finished ages before who told me not to worry about how they had done but just concentrate on my time!! Seemed a long old slog to have to run around the final 350 metres of the track at the stadium, but the track sessions of the past couple of weeks paid off as I imagined myself back there, concentrated on my breathing and counted off the metres as I was going. A final sprint finish (that was the plan) seemed impossible as my body argued against it, but as I got into the final 100 metres, I picked up the pace a bit (9 or 10 min miles) and dug deep to stretch my legs out for a final sprint finish over the last 50 metres … was obviously tripping here but it sounded as though the people in the stand appreciated the final efforts of a dying man and the noise level actually rose to encourage me on towards the line!

I’d got my maths wrong in the final km since was expecting to be somewhere in the 1hr 12s at the finish and was rationalising to myself that this was OK … fastest 10k by 1 or 2 mins for a year … surprised myself with 200 metres to go and realised that a sub 1 hr 12 was likely. Actually finished (my timing) in 1hr 11 mins 28 seconds - helped by my final flourish, which while not sub 1hr 10 (my dream, but unlikely time) was well under the 1hr 15 that I was really aiming at as my first time goal. Surprising too that I was less than 10 minutes slower than the first time I ran this race 2 years ago, so very pleasing :¬) It’s definitely coming back and just sooo enjoyable being out there racing again in a proper race!

JJJ – 8.37/50
  • BB - You did really well and sounds like you're really pleased. It now gives you the encouragement to keep at it and before you realise it, you'll be back at the sub 1hr mark.....

Black Country to Birmingham Half Marathon report....

Met up with friends from work at around 8.30 and walked to start as we had decided we wanted to get into the spirit and watch the faster runners go out..... It was a lovely warm morning and by 9.15 it had really got hot..... We had spoken to the organiser who agreed to let us go through at around 10ish which was a great boost.... Managed to see FP and Ado before I dropped my bag off....

Gathered in our time groups at around 9.55, we were all excited and raring to go.... That's it we're off.... my 2 friends went through before me (you had to go through one at a time)..... I started off with too much energy I think, first mile 9.02...... got into a lovely rhythm and started to look forward to the tunnel which was around 4 miles...... got through the tunnel with no problems (its 385 yards long, they attempted to light it but not much help really)...... Got to the 6 mile mark and thought I was on for a 2.04 finish..... Carried on for mile 7 and started to get really hot now..... was glad of the odd shade from the trees.....

Mile 7.5 it all started to go wrong..... As we were on canal path you are advised to stick to the left and pass in the appropriate places on the right hand side...... One stupid woman decided to overtake me while going up a canal bridge which had steps. She came round the right of me but instead of giving space afterwards she cut right in front of me and then proceeded to trip up the bloody step... I couldn't avoid her and I went over the top of her..... It was like something out of a cartoon...... Thankfully managed to protect my bad hand during the fall but grazed my other one, bruised my knee and somehow landed on my tummy. Totally took the breath off me..... my water bottle went flying into the canal..... Anyway managed to pick myself up and carry on running although took forever to get my breath back but I felt so sick.... I threw up 2 or 3 times between then and the end and struggled without my water..... stopped at mile 9 to drink some water and then again at 12...... sadly my pace had dropped to between 10.30mm to 11.20mm (depending whether I stopped to throw up or stop at water stations)....

Managed to finish the race in 2.16 (according to chip). Really annoyed, but at least I finished and I beat my time for the last time on that course.... According to my Garmin my moving time was 2.12.24..... so a bad day for a race for me but another one ticked off knowing it could have been better.....

JJJ 13.26/140

• Hi folks .... DD is back and great news
    I ran the city of Manchester 10k this morning in a great time wait for it

56.47 i couldnt believe it
  • Big well done BB a fab report and a fab race onwards and upwards now something to chip away at again...

CT did you have the garmin on auto pause the first time I did the BBCH I got back thinking I had done a 2.12 but it was 2.16 because the watch stopped in the tunnel. So sorry about you getting tripped still think it is a good time and more importantly it is a good training run for your marathon.

I arrived quite early as went with daughters boyfriend who had an earlier start than me because he is a faster runner. Saw CT and wished her luck before waiting for Ado thinking we may run together.

Ado arrived and we organised our bags then got in the queue to start. Briefing entailed being careful of the geese and having to hurdle a fireman's hose which was across the canal path...

Ado set off ahead of me and we both settled down plodded along until about 6 miles me behind then I went ahead. I felt really good, then again wasn't pushing myself after lots of bad runs just wanted to run an even pace without walking.

Met another man at about 7 miles and we ran together for about 4 miles he was a great pace maker ran really steady. Finished in 2.19.13 which was a course P.W by 4 seconds but actually not one bit upset and happy with the run on no specific training.

It was also quite hot to  be honest but no excuses.  9 minutesaway from my P.B but  still an enjoyable run and if I am not working next year I will be back...

Edited to say congrats to DD well done we crossed posts...

• Hi FP - my garmin was 2.15.45 but when I download it to Garmin Connect it gives you your moving time..... so my watch was quite accurate really.....
  • Well that just took me about 20mins to read through.......................

In brief:

Welcome to new people its ace here!

Well done on targets met and miles run in June you are all awesome!!

Fab racing those who have raced and reported.....is there any more reports to come?

I have been soooooo busy. Manage 44/65 in June image

Target for July is 50 as still doing house and going on hols for the lasts week. Saying that I have kick started the month with 6.2mile yesterday at 9.42 average pace and 3.95 today at 9.34 avarage pace. Speed work on the dreay is paying off!!! Boy has it been hot. Been gardening most of the day and have a glourious tan. The work on the house is coming to an end over this week and next. Saying that I have been staying active but doing spinning and pilates classes for a quick 1 hour hit with childcare.

This weeks plan:

Mon spinning class

Tues gym session incl. 3 miles dready run.

Wed (maybe run after work 3 miles) pilates class.

Thurs carpets fitted and open evening at work

Friday Hot date (same guy....all going well.....how do I find the time)

Sat day out hiking with Hot date

Sun Maybe run with pal 4 miles(if she is free and her hubby will mind the kids)

JJJJ 10.15/50

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

BB,

Well done, sounds as though it as tough.

Chrissie,

I hope you said something to the nearest marshall about that lady as I would have.  That's out of order.  Hope others stopped to help you and you recover quickly from that.  Well done on the time.

FP,

Well done.

Debbie,

Good luck with that.

• thanks flo po on top of the world
  • Hi HY4 - Thanks.... I shoould be ok.... shoulder is a little tender today but hopefully all aches and pains will be gone tomorrow..... been resting all day today.....

Good start to month DM..... Good luck with hot date.....

Well done DD....

• DD, BB, Flo and Chrissie, in my opinion you`ve all had great runs.

My legs were really aching for a couple of days after my run  on Wednesday, more so then usual, I`m putting it down to the hilly course.

I hope you`ll feel better over the next couple of days Chrissie after your fall

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Wow- what a lot of racingimage

BB- top man! Good to see you on the way back- and well done on running on perceived exertion- think we all rely too much on gadgets at timesimage

Det- well doneimage

Chrissie- OMG! So proud of you for getting to the end after that! Real determination!imageimage And all good mara practiceimage

DB- well done on sub 60image

FP- great run with no specific trainingimageimage

Debbie- good luck with the plan. Sounds like you're going to be one busy lady!image

Evening all- quiet on here todayimage 

Silver Valley (OMG) race report 

Baking hot in Silver Valley 10k today- especially in the slate quarry where the heat being reflected upwards off the stone was unbearableimage. nice run though, despite the mud, loose slate, river crossings and 1:4 hillimage - biggest problem was all the gates we had to open in 1 section- apparently they normally open these, but there were sheep around- lost serious time at one gate that I couldn't open for ages!image still, happy enough under circumstances with 41.32- 4th overall, 2nd M40- but no prize for second.

Celebrated with a  nice carrot and ginger soup then out for an easy pace 10m-8 min mile av-  total for the day around 19mimage

• (((Chrissie))) that must have been awful and SO annoying … well done for dusting yourself down and posting a v respectable time … but it could have been so much more … Glad you’re on the road to recovery though …

DD – fantastic!! Well done … add it to the thread’s pb spreadsheet … https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p4oOy-DRcs-nAAbUvVFerXQ#gid=0 – you need to set up a google account. Don’t forget to save it and re-sort it if you can. Always worth reminding people of the link, eh? Is yours up to date?

FP – well done on your run y'day … you set out to achieve just what you were aiming to and have given yourself a fabulous base for the biggie in Amsterdam … and like you say, you didn’t even train properly for this one.

DM – Speedy!!

Thanks HY – really wasn’t too bad – there was much more downhill than up … maybe I ran the first half of the race a tad too quickly … didn’t have the legs to get down the hill at the pace I wanted … but overall a pleasing result.

Det – you’ll be back in one piece soon, I reckon! Hills are much tougher than flat races.

Jason – that’s a great report … must admit I preferred the much easier Aberdare course though! Great time for such a challenging course too!

Thanks for all the good wishes and support all, today and over the years! – you all make persisting at this running lark so much easier :¬)
  • Bargoed Backmarker > Hi! Well done on the race. I've got other goals after this one so will definitely stick around image

Dobcrossdaz > Congrats!

Flo Po > Not sure how I'll manage a week without running – I think the addiction's set in already image However my knees weren't 100% last week. I've been taking some of my downhills too hard (although I think I've fixed that bad habit now). I want to make sure they've recovered before I go hell-for-leather round a 10k hilly course!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Well done.

• Det - hope legs ok now

Chrissie - hope shoulder ok now

Jason - great report....did you really go our for another run? 19m in a day (how do you find the time?)

BB - not speedy but faster normal pace so pleased.

Late to work today.....patio door broken and waiting for a man to come and fix it!!!

• Thanks bargoed,

It was hot sunday for aberdare, I'm having a two day brake then back to it but sadly i can't stop eating

full breakfast this morning mmm i will regrat that wed!!!!!!

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Blimey, loads to read. Will catch up later.

Birmingham and Black Country Half Marathon Report:

I felt like I’d done a marathon just getting to the start line: drive 50 mins to B’ham, 20 mins walk to station, train to Wolverhampton, walk to start line. Had a lovely chat with FP and managed to say hello to CT before she set off. I used my Tri bag for my stuff and it was so heavy, it was more like a holiday suitcase than the bare necessities!

I was impatient to get going so after the ritual loo visit, we were in the queue being briefed about geese, sunstroke and large hosepipes! The single file departure is a unique experience, but I guess it works well as the route is along the canal path.

I could hear FP behind me and was convinced she’d think my pace was slow and laborious so I probably did go a bit quicker than I should. My garmin indicated I was less than 10m/m at the start which is WAY too fast for me for a Half. Ho, Hum.

I actually felt great for the first 4 miles up to the infamous tunnel. Chatting away, enjoying the sunshine, the pleasant scenery and feeling good. There was a bit of banter between FP and I about who would leave who standing....I was right! She whooped me!

From 4 to 7 miles, I felt OK when the sun was behind a cloud and the wind blew, but then the sun came out, the wind dropped...and so did I. At one point my RUNNING pace said 13m/m...streuth, I could walk faster than that. I sort of got back into it at mile 10, but then from 11 to 12, I just fell apart. I actually noticed I had stopped running and was walking.....without deciding to do so!! I stopped and started and (I don’t like admitting this) I was talking to myself outloud saying “I can’t do this”, I was being very defeatist, most unlike me. I was sweating like a pig and felt pretty grotty (Note to self: avoid hot races). I kicked myself up the rear at mile 12 and was determined to do a respectable final mile. It actually felt good right up the last canal bridge close to the finish, which knocked me for six. It felt like Everest. I was determined to ‘sprint’ the final 0.1 and that was probably a mistake as I paid for it later. A course PB of 2:37 (my PB is 2:20), but to give an idea of my fade, at half way I was on for a new PB so I lost 17 mins on the last 6.5 miles!

Paradoxically, I thoroughly enjoyed it! My learning points, all of which are blindingly obvious to anyone who engages their brain, are.....

1-Train properly for a Half Marathon, don’t get complacent just because you’ve run further.

2- Don’t always go out for a PB, sometimes just enjoy it.

3-Hydrate before, during and after the run.

4-Listen to your body.

5-Don’t go off too fast

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

ADDENDUM:

Sorry if that report is a bit of a 'downer'. it was a lovely course, fabulous company, great lunch afterwards, excellent goody bag, great support on the course, helpful marshalls, all-in-all a good race that I'd recommend. Just make sure you prepare properly and can cope with hot temperatures on race day!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Ado- not a downer at all- great result under difficult circumstances and a lot of positives taken from it. Got to admit it reminded me of this year's VLM. I too found myself walking as soon as I got into the cool of the underpass without deciding tooimage Great report tooimage

DM- I find the time by not having any other pastimes/social lifeimage Yesterday the race was at 11 am, lunch at 1, second run around 2.30- all done by 4image

• Great reports guys.

Well I ended up having a good rehearsal for Thursday's challenge.  Set out on a bit of a mystery tour as I wanted to see if a path I've often passed went where I thought it did.  The first mile and a bit was on a well run route so when my Garmin beeped to say I'd done a mile I knew it was lying, I'd done 0.75 tops.  When it beeped the second mile I had a quick glance to see it say I'd run a mile in 7:23 which there is no way I was running that fast.  Got to the end of the path and found a way out onto the road I had hoped it would lead to.  Then hit the lap counter and headed home back along the same path.  Tried to run what I thought was 10 minute miles.  According to my Garmin, the out portion was 2.71 miles and the back 2.11 image.  Plotted the route on Fetch and it came out as 4.2 total which I completed in 41:31 so pretty close to my 10 minute miles.

Hopefully I can repeat the pace on Thursday for the 10 mile tech free challenge!

JJJ = 16.06 / 72

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Ado & Westmoors,

Well done.