Bewl 15

Comments

• I did this in 2007 and 2008 in 1 hour 40 +, but I believe it's been extended since then and it's now actually 15 miles, so I'll be looking to "scrape under" 2 hours.

I ran both races in road shoes and in 2007 I really struggled with the very, very slippery conditions around the reservoir.

If the recent wet spell continues that will give me a dilemma on whether to wear trail or road shoes. The conundrum is that while trail shoes would be great for the first 10 miles or so, they won't be very comfortable on the final road section.

In 2008 the course was bone dry, so no problem.

Probably best to wait and see what the weather's like during the week before the race.
  • Oops I only have road shoes, its gotta be dry image.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Yes, it is now the full 15 miles. image 

The new medals are much better as well. 2009 and 2010 are similar to each other but still bespoke to the race.

Sharon, I think you'll be fine in road shoes, I'm going to wear off road as they are my fav pair of shoes apart from my fastwitch which would be torn apart on the surface. I think I ran it in road shoes all 3 time I've run it. The only race I've done every year I've been running.

• Has anyone received their race number yet?

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Mine arrived this morning, hopefully by the time you read this you'll have your. image

• Going to run round tomorrow afternoon/evening, I'll let you know what the course is looking like after the rain, still think it will be dry down there though.
  • My number arrived today *phew*

Good luck for Sunday everyone image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's going to be a sticky week and a sultry weekend. I'm hoping for a thunder storm but that'd mean soggy cakes. - so if you could just put my cake in a doggy bag for me... image
  • I'm still waiting patiently for mine.  image

I love running in the rain, but not off-road.  Anyhow, it looks like being around 20C with some cloud, so could be nice.

How's everyone feeling? Fit?

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

No - my legs ache. I ran a 10k on Sun (nice new pb) and my legs are tired from that and I'm running a 5k tomorrow - again rash decision on the spur of the moment. image

Hopefully I'll be recovered by Sun. Am looking forward to just taking it easy and not overdoing it. Oh and the cake and a pint afterward.

• You're a glutton for punishment aren't you!

One race a month is quite enough for me image

But I did a fast (for me - slow for just about everybody else I guess!) 12 mile training run last Saturday and I'm surprised at how quickly my legs settled.  No DOMS whatsoever.  I'm wonderer if at last my legs are getting use to the cheezy looking long compression sock I've been wearing on my longer runs. 

• I done a 15miler (just training not a race) last Thursday, and I done a 10miler with a few hills this morning to keep the legs ticking over, I am thinking of doing a nice short run maybe 6/7 miles tomorrow or Thursday and that will be that until Sunday.
  • Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

Bewl 15 Race Director here. All race numbers and race information were sent by post last week and for all those who entered upto yesterday. Email me at : albertlkemp@btinternet.com  if you have not received your number or want a reserved place on the day. We currently have 637 entries and expect another 150 up to and including the day so we are 7% up on last year. The race chip must be collected on the day.

A free min-bus pick -up at Wadhurst Train Station will meet every train until 10:04. Water, sports drink, sponge, jelly babies and hose pipe will be on the corse. details in the race pack.

1,124 free cakes being made by Lisa the cake lady and her Waddie team members, brass band, goody bag, children's entertainer, children's sports and toddlers safe area all booked and provided free by the Waddies. Charlie the Clown will entertain the children in the Greyhound Pub who will have a BBQ. A tea/coffee and bacon sarnie van is available outside the HQ from 8am.

A British Tai Chi Championship Judge will teach the children and young at heart "Chi for Children" in the Uplands SDports Hall where free massage is also offerred to the runners.

Weather expected to pick up after the current rain  but I will run parts of Bewl tonight,  Wednesday and Friday and all round on Saturday so I will report on the course conditions by Friday evening. I ran Bewl during the cloud burst last week and I found training shoes still acceptable. The formerley slippery slope at 13 miles is now concreted.

• Thanks Plodder K- I well remember the "slippery slope" from the wet summer of 2007. Remaining upright was a challenge !

The weather forecast for Sunday looks good and off-road conditions where I live are still firm underfoot, so conditions should be ideal for the race.

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of my first "full length" Bewl and it looks like you've thought of everything.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

image Still from my Wednesday 5k - another pb for me. I'm thinking that I will be plodding Bewl. Still hoping to finish in 2hrs but will not be pushing for another PB.

Must remember my sun tan lotion on Sunday. image Perhaps I'll hang onto a sponge for the shower. image

• My daughter has just gone into Pembury Hospital labour ward so it looks as if my grandchild will be here in time for me to dance round Bewl!   Yipee!!!  image

SteveSW19. Not seen you for a few days.  Did your training kill you off in the end? image  How did it go?

BikerMouse. Have you changed your Handle to 'Dot'?!!!  Well done for reminding us about the sun tan lotion.  I was going to ask if you needed any help with the sponge, but the chances are you'll be round at least half an hour quicker than me image  Do you know, I've never run a 5k race!  But I did what was for me a great 4 miles on Wednesday.  I was really pleased with my sprint mile at about 8.5 minute pace... untilI realised that some folk run a full marathon at that speed! image 

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

um - last mara I ran was @ 8m/m - which is my target pace for Bewl.

I think that 5k was the hardest race I've ever ran. It was painful. The lady that won was a full 300m in front of me. image (and I was 2nd!)

I thought of something unique - I hope - morse B M -... - -

Oh and congrats on being a grandaddy (again) image

• I am excited and nervous for tomorrows race, I just hope I can get some sleep tonight!

I hope everyone has a fantastic run.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Me to. Enjoy.

Think of the cakes, it'll get you round.

• Same here Sharon, I really need a good nights kip tonight.

All the best to everyone who's entered. 

I'll be the one plodding at the back.

• And I, too, need a good night's sleep, especially at my frail age image

But more because of the excitement at my grandson arriving late yesterday!  Yoweeee!  image

He's a great little lad who ran his mum a merry dance yesterday. Still he's here, she wants to get back running (perhaps for the Tonbridge Half when all my family will be running as a team for 'Sands' (the stillbirth and neonatal death charity), and judging from how active he has been all along the line I reckon we've seen the birth a runner of tomorrow!

See you all at Bewl (if I don't oversleep)! image

Good Luck all  image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Congrats again - babynohair image
  • Grandadnohair a big congratulations to you and your family!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Hello. I hope everyone had a good race and got a nice suntan. If there was no water when you finished blame me. image I was standing by the water butt refilling my cup. It was hot!

Still, kept to my goal and finished in just under 2 hrs though my legs were killing me in the end. Rest week, no more racing til next sunday.

• What a great day and race! I agree it was very hot and the 2nd to last hill on the gravel nearly had me tears, okay I said nearly image, my first off road but I am pretty sure I will be back for more. I am pleased I got a time of 2:13:ish ( I think), so maybe next I can improve on this.

Oh and the cakes, now I get why everyone talks about them, I had a lovely slice of lemon cake, just the ticket after a good hard run.

• The results from to0day's race are now available on the Nice Work website.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Well there you go - clock time identical to my Garmin, chip time -40 secs.
  • What a fantastic race, couldn't find fault if I tried.
  • Great race. Enjoyed it alot - very tough one!!!

Managed 2:12 ish which was 15 mins faster than last year.

Cakes were brilliant - and I was also pleased to get a silver medal this year instead of last years bronze. Does that mean I came in the top 300?

Really excellent organisation - the best organised and marshalled race I have ever done.

Well done Albert and the others for holding this!
  • Cor blimey that was tough!  image

I was doing well; bang on track for my 2:40 target until mile 9. Then everything went to rats and I ended up doing an embarrasing 3:00:24.  I couldn't even summon up the little bit extra to get in under the 3 hours.  I can't remember that I've ever walked in a race before, but I certainly did today.  I blame that new grandson image

Of course, as always, it helped having my wife popping up everywhere shouting her encouragement.  But even that didn't keep me running. 

The cakes... referring to one of my first posts on this thread.  They were good, no getting away from that.  But on today's sampling, Bexhill Runners are just pipping the post.  (Though perhaps, by the time I got in, you lot had scoffed the best ones!  Even the Brass Band had cleared off by the time I got in!) image

Yep, I reckon that was the toughest race I've run.   But my, am I looking forward to next year! 

Very well done Wadhurst.  That was one great race, and one brilliant medal.  Thank you for topping off a great week for me.