London Triathlon

Have just seen the start times and routes etc are now available online.

I selectively chose the male open olympic category after emailing LT and being advised this gave me the most chance of racing the Westminster route - gutted, my start time is on Sunday afternoon so I am racing the London Bridge route. Oh well!

Any body else doing this? This will be my second olympic triathlon and looking forward to racing on my doorstep!

Comments

• The problem with doing the sunday afternoon is that you need to rack your bike on saturday, so two visits to the Excel Centre.

There's plenty of onsite parking, facilities are brilliant and if you get there early you can watch the elites and decent celebs do their stuff.

One loop of the dock for the swim, two loops for the bike and four loops for the run. The run gets a little congested at the end of the dock area with uneven ground so watch your footing and placement.

It was hot last year so keep hydrated and enjoy, it's a great 2 day event.

No, I never did it I went with the old man who did the Tower Bridge session. image
  • Cheers for the advice RIPP. Fortunately I live on the docklands so Saturday racking is simply a 500 metre walk but it does mean I won't be able to get a big ride in on the Saturday as hoped.
  • bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

I'll be there, in the 14:55 wave on the Sunday.

Also dissappointed not to be doing the Westminster Route, but more dissapointed that the mates I've entered with are in waves at 7 and 7.30 am!

I understand one of them being different as he's in a different age group, but the other is in the same one so we assumed we'd actually get to race against each other!

For me racking up Saturday is also a pain in the a%&e.

Now looks like I'll have to waste half of Saturday trekking up there to drop the bike off and then probably end up being up there all day on Sunday as both the friends are first time tri entrants so would like to be around to make sure they're ok!

Still, having watched last year it is quite a spectacle and there's plenty to do up there so still looking forward to it!

• Last time I did London I rode over on the Saturday rather than lug the bike on the tube/DLR, but still takes up most of the weekend.

Best leave the credit card at home Ben, a day at the Expo could be expensive image At least you wont have to drive home and dry out the tents after this one image

• I am doing the Sunday afternoon too, so racking Saturday.  Does anyone know whether you are allowed back in transition to check your stuff before the race on Sunday? I normally make my drinks up on the day of the race, so don't fancy leaving them to fester overnight.  Also I want to re-check before the start. 

Also, I am a little confused by the bike route for the Sun afternoon, as it states turn at Beckton round-a-bout but the turning point on the map is at Gallions round-a-bout on the route map.  Any ideas on this? 

• Hi Lisa, you'll be given a bracelet which confirms you're a competitor so you can get as much access as you wish.

As for the r'bouts, just follow the signs and the others, all will become clear.

Good luck with the event.
  • Fortunately my start time is 7.30....do I rack Saturday?
  • Are Beckton roundabout and Gallions roundabout not the same thing? I think they may be (though don't take my word for it)
  • Umm, strange goings on. The details for both of the bike courses say turn at Beckton yet the map shows turning at Gallions which is two r'bouts further on.

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be well marshalled and instructed on the day as to any changes or deviations.

Info for the day is here
    http://www.thelondontriathlon.co.uk/images/PDFs/VALT_RaceInfo2011_FINAL_(LOW RES)_WEB.pdf
  • Hurds, if you are racing Sunday morning, you rack on the Sunday morning
  • They have just changed the bike course from 80 to 90ks for the Olympic plus Sunday 6-30am start. Just what I need a bit extra on the bike bring it on
  • I wish I had signed up for the plus distance now, would be perfect timing for a September Ironman. Oh well - excited for the Olympic.

Quick question - just how busy is the bike course? And how long is the gap from transition to bike mount and visa-versa, and is it carpetted?

Thanks

• Shaun, can't give you an answer on the crowding- I was fortunate to do the Westminster route (where it wasn't really a problem).

Transition area is huuuge (I have heard banter that the run course is actually short to compensate for the length of transition), it wasn't carpeted when I did it (some years back) which meant the surface (polished concrete) was horribly slippery if running in bike shoes.  Mount line is just by the door that you exit the building from. 

• Shaun, you're in a group of a few hundred in your wave, the waves are about every 30 mins or so.

The bike course isn't very crowded, as I said earlier old man did it last year as did Mandlebaum (spell).

From the swim you have to remove wetsuit and put in bag before going up the stairs on to carpet to your bike. When you have your bike you run to the exit on concrete to the mount area. Concrete is flat smooth so no problems with feet. Distance will depend on where your rack is but expect to be 50 - 150m max
  • FF - Run is exactly 10k Bike is around 39k

Run is 4 laps when leaving T2 (well T1 really) you leave Excel Centre down ramp and along dock and return back up ramp and around a loop inside building for around 200m then back out again and back down ramp.
  • Is it the circular ramps used to get in and out of the excel? They're pretty steep when doing that a few times are they not?

• Nope, it's the straight up and down ramps, and yes they are a decent slope.

Old man said the ramp was a bugger when you turn the corner on the bike and find you have to use the ramp to get up to the Excel level for transition, so make sure you're in the right gear lol.
  • There was catch on some routes that you have to turn at two different points, and the first/shorter turn had a piss poor sign and a bored/apatethic child marshall limply waving to attract attention. Quite a few peeps did two long laps rather than one long and one short. You have been warned ...
  • haha that will no doubt be me... should probably take not of that one... cheers
  • Get a Garmin just in case image
  • If you have a garmin make sure you have the cadence/speed thing too... long bit in a tunnel... garmin's dont like tunnels....
  • Does anyone know what time you can rack on the saturday for racing Sunday afternoon? They just say Saturday in the info pack but no times, I cant imagine they will be happy if I roll up at 8am or 8pm!
  • Shaun, last year the ol man racked his bike after mid-day on the Saturday.

Remember to go to registration first to get your band and stickers.

Remember to take your helmet, as this will need to be racked with your bike.

Remember to rack your bike in the correct allocated area, you can be disqualified if you don't.

For anyone racking on Saturday, Parking was free although not an issue for someone who lives 500m from the Excel.
  • Hi,

I entered the Mixed Olympic for the Sunday at 12pm.

I thought I entered the Westminster route, but the pack says nothing. As it's after 12pm will I be doing the Tower Bridge route?

And just double checking, do I need to rack my bike on the Saturday?

Cheers,

John
  • Hi John, I would think that as the Sunday races will be well underway by then you would be expected to rack your bike on Saturday.

Have a great day.