Hughenden Manor 10K

The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this on Sunday. Anyone do it last year? If so, does it warrant some trail shoes with a decent grip (bearing in mind recent and forecast rain!) or can you get away with racing flats?

ta

Comments

• Thanks bus boy! Was considering doing it in road trainers but will dig out the old trusted offroaders now. Is the hill at the beginning really as tough as they say? Ie: tougher than the hill in the Wycombe half?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not done the race, but I know the hill very well as this is where I train.  It's not as long or as much ascent as the Wycombe half hill, but steeper for part, rougher underfoot and with even less warm up.  That said, its toughness really depends on how much hill training you do! We did pretty much the same hill 3 (or was it 4?) times in the Bucks XC champs back in January!

My question about trail shoes was more aimed at the Bradenham end of the route which I don't know very well and the balance between overall off-road and road on the route , but personally I'd definteily want something a bit grippy for the grassy downhill at the end if its damp so if its raining or just rained I think I'll plump for trail shoes anyway.

See you there!

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing this and ran round Hughenden yesterday evening, it was still a bit muddy/boggy in places. Just back from a 10 day injury lay off so will be taking it very easy at the back !

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I was there this morning and it's dried off a fair bit, though we've had a bit of rain today. Forecast is good though.

Hope I can run faster tomorrow than this morning mind - little more than a shuffle after a relatively hard week!

• I think the off road shoes were a good idea, especially for the downhill at the end, (which was awesome!).

Tough race but a good challenge, will be looking to do this again next year and its a good last race before the Wycombe half next week.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Agree with all that Monkeybrain - fantastic little race!

Only downside for me was the cost of my sausage bap at the end - £3.60! Starving though after no brekkie, so no choice!

Good luck fo Wycombe!

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that race, the hill at start was horrible - even though i live local and knew it was bloody coming - the hill at the end in the woods was a blast; i've never found that one before so will be doing that route again.

I have a break now till Surrey Slog half mara so i believe its now Beer O Clock image

Good luck for wycombe
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Beer O'clock - your making me thirsty! Not soon enough for me though. I've got to take a car full of over excited 10 year old girls to Princes Risborough for a party first!!  Still, couple of cool ones latr watching the TdF highlights tonight to look forward to!

I liked that first hill - gave me a chance to feel all smug taking it easy and being passed by several young whipper-snappers, only to see them blow-up at the top never to be seen again!

• I found the race very hard, however I am not that accustomed to hilly trail runs, So much so i was down about 7 minutes on my last race...please say this is normal as I was shattered by that last little hill, despite the slow time!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I was about 4 mins down on a road 10k the week before....
  • I was 3.5 mins slower than Princess Risborough but about 1.5 mins faster than a 10k in West Wycombe park a couple of weeks back.

Hughenden was a tough course but very pleased with my top 20 effort. Bring on the Wycombe half!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done MB - my comparison was with Risborough last week too, and also doing Wycombe Half this week!  Missed the West Wycombe one due to injury though unfortunately - heard it was a good race.

• Cheers bus boy, was very happy with the result. The West Wycombe park race was tough enough to slow you down to a walk twice, there were two evil hills in the last 5k. It was a good race though and would recommend it next year.

Good luck in the Wycombe half.

This will be my third time doing it but I ended up in hospital last year form not eating or drinking enough and collapsing at the end. This year I've trained loads and am aiming to finish in under 1hr 40. Fingers crossed.

See you Sunday! 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey, you dn't want to repeat that then!

Good luck for Sunday!  10th Wycombe in a row for me, which is why I've dragged myself back from injury to make sure I do it!

• Did 1 hour 14 seconds for Wycombe 10k in 2009 so keen to beat the hour this time.  Did 53 mins at Risborough, so should do it !