Bewl 15

13»

Comments

• Sincere thanks to Albert and everyone else involved- that was an exceptional race and one of the very best I've ever entered.

I finished in 2'02"- just outside my target of under 2 hours. I was "bang on" target up to 10 miles, but those last few miles were really tough !

It didn't matter, as the whole race experience was first-class. Superb organisation, great marshalling and support all the way round and simply the best and most comprehensive refreshment stations I've ever seen.

The brass band and the cakes at the end were really appreciated and just added to a first class all-round race experience. Ditto the medal and goody-bag.

"10 out of 10" for all concerned.

• Hi

Have to echo everyone's comments and  say what a great, friendly and well organised race and certainly as tough as had been reported. Managed to get in around 2.21 and very pleased with that.

Congratulations to everyone and especially to the new grandad!

• did race in 2 hrs 9 , my first time did race and thoroughly enjoyed it , the organisation was superb during race with so many water / lucozade/ jelly bean and sponge stops to get ya through , when is next years enrolment cos deffo do next year image
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    You'll prolly get an email early April for next year. You'll also prolly get tons of emails you don't want but you might be interested in other local races.
  • Speaking of local races, are you all booked into the brand new Tonbridge Half in September? 
  • Hi,

I've run the Tonbridge Half course a couple of times now and I would describe it as undulating. There are appoximately 13 'hills' or rises, roughly one a mile although nothing too dramatic (an earlier proposed route included coming up Rogue's hill out of Penshurst towards Bidborough, which was challenging towards the end of a Half!).

I would recommend a recce, but even on a Sunday the road is a bit busy at times so take care.

It should be a great race and I'm hoping for a PB as it is in my backyard.

I have managed 3 PBs out of my last 4 races building up to this (Sevenoaks 7, Harvel 5, and Weald 10), but just missed out on  4th at Bewl last Sunday - I was 15 mins faster than last year, but missed my PB by 2 minutes (2:16). Brilliant day though.

See you on September 25th!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Nah - I'm running New Forest on that day. too many races on Sept 25 and a few friends wanted to run NF - unfortunately they seem to be dropping like flies at the moment. image
  • Yes, I know what you mean, September is always a busy month for local races here in west Kent after something of a drought during August.

We usually run the Weald St George's 10K on the first weekend (Weald village is between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks) a hilly road race, then it's the Eridge 10 (near Tunbridge Wells), a tough, but rewarding trail race, Tunbridge Wells 10K (more hills) after that and now this inaugral Half in Tonbridge.

I was thinking of doing the Hever Tri on the 25th, but fancied this one more.

• I am doing the Folkstone half on September 25th, but I have got the South Coast Run half at Seaford in August and I am toying with idea of doing a nice little 5k in Bexhill at the end of the month as its so local to me. 

Have great races everyone image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Eridge is on my list of must do races.
  • Edridge, is that the 10k trail in Tunbridge Wells later on in the year?  I was looking at it but I think I have a race very close to it. So many races, so little time ....
  • Its a pain that there are so many good races in September.  Bexhill 10k is another and one of my favourites. It was a regular fixture until the Tonbridge Half was arranged on the same Sunday, and now I have a problem! I'll do Tonbridge this year because my whole family are running, but what will I do next year?  It would have been good if Tonbridge could have been fixed in one of the quieter months.

• Hi Grandadnohair, 

About 2 years ago the either the Rotary Club or the Tonbridge Lions (I can't remember which) said that they were organising a Half, which was to be a single loop that took in Penshurst (and Rogue's Hill) and Chiddingstone that I mentioned in an earlier post. That race was going to be in the lead up to London in March, but it was never finalised - my understanding was that the other group was also planning a Half, but the Police were reluctant to give the green light to both, so they eventually got together and the September date was the compromise.

I like Bexhill too. I've done the Poppy Half in November a couple of times. Quite unusal this one as it is formed of 4 laps along the seafront. Can get quite interesting is the wind is up! Rocket propelled one way, running on the spot the other..

Whether the Tonbridge Half becomes a regular feature or not will I suppose depend on the success of this first outing. I saw on another thread that in June they had just over 500 signed up with a 1,000 limit, so it seems to be going well. I know the Tonbridge Lions organise a sprint distance triathlon in Tonbridge in May and have done so for a number of years, so they seem to have the organisational skills. Time will tell.

Sharon and Biker Mouse,

The Eridge 10 is a 10 mile cross country course held in a private deer park (similar in appearance to Knole Park in Sevenoaks, but not generally open to the public), so it is a special event just for the rare access. It can get a bit muddy in places if its been raining, but generally this just adds to the fun. It has got some challenging hills, there is a set of steps cut into the side of the hill at mile 8, which I've not been able to get up without walking yet! It's mostly wooded trail with some open grassland stretches, a couple of lakes and a timberyard - some nice views to take in along the way. One of the nicer touches is a beer tent at the finish which is free for runners.Worth giving it go sometime.

• Edrige sounds lovely, I don't think it was the race I was thinking of but it sounds like a lovely day out.
  • Hi Powder Hedgehog

There are already over 600 entries against a full field of 1,000, which strikes me as pretty good for an inaugural event.  But I wonder if anybody actually sat down and looked at the local (ie within 50 miles) race calendar?  If they did I'm sure they wouldn't have picked September!  Ah well.  As I said a while back on the Tonbridge Half thread you refer to, its a pity the race won't start and finish in Tonbridge Castle like a 100mile cycle event did a couple of months ago. Maybe once they've got it established they'll reconsider, and I will keep asking.  As I said at the time, it has the potential for a dramatic finish like Reading in the Madejski stadium.  It would certainly be more interesting than finishing in the middle of an anonymous road out of town.

Much though I love Bexhill, running on Bexhill seafront, and the folk from Bexhill Runners (with their fantastic cakes!), I did the Poppy Half for the first and last time last year.  It wasn't the torrential rain but the interminal boredom of running 4 laps that convinced me never to run it again!  I wasn't the only runner to get confused, and a couple of time my wife (the World's Greatest Supporter) had to ask me what lap I was on!

My, I'm sounding like a moany old grandad!

On a different note, does anybody know where/when the Bewl 15 results are/will be posted? I can't find them anywhere.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

http://niceworkevents.blogspot.com/

Should take you straight to the results.

• Yowee!  Thanks Biker Mouse.  I knew I was slow but that is my worst result so far - 94% down the field - only 37 people behind me  I was almost right when I crossed the line and said I though I was the last one!!!   But then I maintained my consistency of taking almost exactly twice the time of the person who came in first, so that's something I guess!

But what a great day!  Roll on next year! 

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Well at least you can wear your medal with pride. image
  • Thanks image  And don't I just - every time!  The pride and the medal are the main reasons I do it; certainly not my speed!

• Nice one.  Very well done image

This was the best I could do afterwards!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/421725/Gallery/P1030225xx.jpg

• Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

I would like to thank all of the Forumites for your lovely, lovely comments about this year's Bewl 15. We are knocked out by the fabulous reviews, so far. I am already taking notes from runners with any new ideas as I am determined to produce the best race we can, so keep the comments and suggestions coming. I tyhink it is paramount to listen to the entrants.

If you would like to give us your vote on the Runner's World Ratings then please use this link, if you have not done so already:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?P=1&ugn=425&year=0&en=59864&v=1&sp=

Thanks for the fantastic support,

Albert

• Hi Albert

It is exceedingly well deserved!  Take a mega gold medal for yourself!  (Not like at the end of the Brighton Half where the tubby Mayor and his wife were walking along all suited up displaying finishers medals along with the rest of their bling!).

Unfortunately the link isn't working for me.  Is it for everybody else?

• Hi Albert, I enjoyed race day so much I reviewed the race as soon as I got home, that was my first Bewl experince but I am hoping to be back next year.

Grandadnohair I love the photo, it really sums up the day so well image. I have entered a couple of the Bexhill races on the recommendations of the cakes, I seem to have taken a liking to a slice of cake!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

yeah - one small comment - ginger cake - i didn't find any this year. image

Oh and thank you very much for my trophy. Now that was unexpected. Next year I'm going to try for a gold medal. image

Typo - which made what I posted sound strange. image

• Plodder KPlodder K ✭✭✭

Congrats to grandnohair for the double whammy of a grandchild and finishing this year's Bewl 15. Well done to everybody.

Also to -...-- for the trophy. I passionately believe every 5 year race category should have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd trophy.This rewards those nearer the back who have still put in an enormous effort to finish. Being a V6 myself I get annoyed when some organisers are mean and have just 1 trophy for every 10 year bands.

I have analysed over 200 comments from the runners. Only 2 sugestions for chamge so far:

) We cannot eliminate the 3 styles between miles 8 and 9 as otherwise we would lose the beutiful views of Bewl Water and lose the full 15 mile distance. 2) The route cannot be reversed either as the drinks logistics would be impossible due to a lack of access. Course records would be nullified too.

Not sure why the RW Ratings link did not work as I have tested and found OK.

Next year's race is 1st july 2012, so I hope to see Forumites there. Thanks for your support.

• Thanks Plodder K (and everybody for their congrats).   For those who are interested, here is the little laddie after a tough 3 hour's kip!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/421725/Gallery/P1030338z.jpg

Back to Bewl: I hope nobody seriously suggested deleting the stiles?  They were a killer for me (and probably for the queue that grew behind me as I struggled to get over!! image), but this being my first Bewl, they added to the uniqueness and the agony; and to the story I had to tell afterwards!  But three stiles?  I'm sure I only went over 2?  Maybe I crawled under the third so didn't notice it!!

Well done for the trophy -...--.  Nice one!  I believe one trophy was missing though. The one for the 'Person-Who-Finished-37th-From-Last'.  It would be interesting to see who would have won that?  Oh.. who...me?!  Wow, thank you!!!

Hi ho. As we keep saying, it was great day. Here's to next year; may the fear keep building!  Who knows, 2012 being my 60th year, maybe I'll go for a gold medal... I can always dream image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Geandadnohair - thank you for sharing the photo of grandsonohair - he looks just like you. image