November / December maras

I was due to have done Luton last year (as my first mara) but couldn't because I became ill.  I've now recovered and have started training again and would like to do one this year.  I've looked at Luton, but they've brought it forward by a few weeks and I'm not sure (after 7 - 8 months out) that I'll be ready by then.

I know it's the wrong end of the year, yes, I've checked the Events tab, no I'm not a Fetchie and I've searched around t'interweb, but there's not much around.

I just wondered whether anyone knew of any mara around the back end of November - December time, possibly even January that they'd recommend.  I live in Hampshire, so it would need to be within reasonable travelling distance of here and preferably, "on-road" rather than off-road.

Ta in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    There's the Porstmouth Coastal mara in Dec.....not sure if it is on or off road but I'm thinking about doing it as I went to uni in Pompey so it'd be nice to go back for a race
  • I can recommend the Portsmouth Coastal one. It's mostly on promenade and cycle paths but with short sections on shingle beaches. It's pancake flat though and was a quick race last year in mild weather. I suspect that if the weather's bad, it could be an entirely different experience.
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    But it's always windy in Pompey! I've just entered image
  • Not sure about road ones... Isn't one of the latest road ones Chester first week of October, and then Luton in November... so a bit early for you.

May be an off-road one for you at that time of year.

Dunno if you've seen this list?  There are a few "TBC" there...

http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/uk-marathon-list.php

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    I'm in Portsmouth too - only thing to be aware of is that they don't have a UKAA licence I believe. Which means if you need it as a qualifier then it might not count.
    I was planning that (doh!) so will have to add another and do Portsmouth for fun - and a week before Christmas gives a good excuse for a good pig out!!
  • Thanks very much for all the advice, Portsmouth would certainly fit the bill, although with only 500 entries, I doubt if I'd get a place as I don't want to commit just yet, but the timing would be perfect, giving me another 4 weeks on Luton.

Thanks for the link, Nam, I'd also found it, but interestingly enough, they only list the endurance mara for December.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Portsmouth mara is great. Well organised and well marshalled. I think even if the weather was worse it wouldn't be too bad along much of the route (although the Eastern Road section could be evil!).
    It's on my doorstep and I'll be doing it again this year.

Jeepers - it might be worth emailing the RO. I got the impression from someone else last year that he was very helpful about late entries.

• There is the Endurancelife Portland in December. 
  • Thanks for that suggestion, limper, I might do that.  After so many years of non-running related problems interrupting training and preventing me from doing my first mara, I thought that I'd cracked it last year, only to go down just as I was about to taper.  It was a grim start to the year, so I'd really like to end it on a high note, a metaphorical "up yours" if you likeimage.

Thanks Ben, I'd seen that one too, but I only run on road, so I'm not sure about the terrain etc - might not be suitable, but certainly one to think about.

• Lisbon marathon december 4th.go on treat yourselfimage

hope you find one and have a good training period.image

• seren nos wrote (see)

Lisbon marathon december 4th.go on treat yourselfimage

image - can't run in km, so Portugal might be outimage.

Mind you, I found the Siberian Ice Marathon in January. . .

hope you find one and have a good training period.image

Thanks, I've got two more weeks on the "return to fitness" schedule, then I think I'll try a HH programme and see how I get on.

Hope your training's going well (broken toe OK now?) and the offspring are doing well.