Kindle

Comments

• The WIFI is fine so long as you can enter the password when setting up the connection (as you would at home). Whenever I have had to visit a webpage to enter a username/password (hotspot-wise like in a hotel or coffee shop) it fails miserably.

I'm glad I have the 3G.

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

It's very unlikely anyone will know the answer to this but I thought I'd ask anyway....

My sister lives in France.  I'm considering buying her a Kindle for her birthday as she's a bookaholic.  The Amazon.fr site redirects to Amazon.com for details on the Kindle.  Does anyone know if she will be able to download English language books via Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk?

• CITH - that's exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about. May be worth the 3G just to save the grief. Plus I'll save money on coffee...
  • RR - That was my point of view when I got it. I travel a lot with work and have been able to download books very easily over 3G when I need to.

Tikka - it may not be relevant, but I imagine they will come from Amazon.com like the American Kindles. The UK ones you can register in either the US or the UK. It may also depend on whether the publisher allows the English laguage book to be sold in France.

• The kindle is a very good device, I still buy new and used books off Amazon that cost less than an e-book version sometimes, but I'll buy most new books on the kindle now.
  • Love my kindle, I'm an avid reader and I think it's THE best piece of kit I own ( well apart from my race bike, which isn't allowed in the bedroom, unlike the kindle )

Buy one you won't regret it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hiya - i love my kindle cannot rate it highly enough! It comes everywhere with me and just allows me to escape (especially when travelling).

Thinking back on it - i would definitely have gone for the 3G over just the wifi... it just makes a lot more sense when i'm out and about and want to go to the kindle store. With 3G it also means that you can access certain website all of the time (e.g. wikipedia). For £41 -it's nothing.

@TIkka - A colleague has had the same issue. She'll need to buy it from amazon.com and then register the account to .fr. It's a tad annoying and i'm hoping that they start accommodating the central european market too. She can buy any of the books she wants from .com or alternatively from .fr

• If the Kindle format was always cheaper than the paperback, I'd always buy the Kindle one (except for things like cookbooks or reference books), as it's just so easy to use and for some reason, I concentrate better on it, than with a 'real' book.
  • And if you damage the screen (for example, by falling off your bike when you're cycling home drunk at 1am), Amazon will send you a replacement for free and send a courier for the damaged one. I rang Amazon at 5:15pm and the replacement was with me at 8:30 the following morning.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I had the same thing Jogblog. Fantastic replacement service and very quick - no questions asked!

• I have yet to have a Kindle/book emergency....wifi is all I need. image
  • OK, 3G it is (sorry GFB - didn't see your post till it wasd too late). I think what swung it for me was a vision of being stuck at Gatwick airport for a 4 hour delay and no wifi. Fair point about Tesco anon,  but I have some Amazon vouchers to use. So here goes.
  • All I would say is if your eyesight is half decent, Kindle on my Android Smartphone is fine to read, and of course has a lot more functionality.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    I got one for my Birthday... never thought I'd need one. Have 14 books loaded in for my hols, total cost well under a tenner, and have reduced my luggage weight by a couple of kilos at least...
  • Another very happy Kindle customer here too......bought the 3G one and living in London can always find wifi.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Mr S is hankering for a kindle, I am thining of getting him one for his birthday. This thread has been really helpful, thanks.
  • Don't worry about it RR - the 3G is the one I really wanted and my kids bought me the wifi so I couldn't really complain lol....I have 30 something books in mine plus some stored in virtual storage.

I usually take a bunch of books away when we travel and it's saved me a fortune (and my back lol) in luggage fees!
  • Update - 3G bought, delivered, charged, stuff downloaded, fab! image

I hadn't realised about the newspaper feature - now that's handy. Only downside appears to be that due to dodgy local reception I only seem to be able to get a reliable 3G signal in the bathroom but as long as I don't drop it in the bath I reckon I'll be OK.

• I do. I use a ziplock bag.

I'll get a proper beach prof bag for the summer hols.

• My screen has developed a problem. Live chat with Amazon they have deregistered the defunct one and  are sending me a new one along with a postage paid returns label.

Excellent customer service. image

• Chuffing love money and it means I now have space in my suitcase for clothes when I go on holiday rather than just paperbacks.

I also love the books for less than a quid on amazon and shackletons diary which is free and mindblowingly good if you stick with it

• It arrived yesterday, irritatingly I can't seem to be able to put the books I've read into my archive folder like I used to.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Beebs - I had the exact same thing. You'll need to "refresh" your Kindle. I had all of the books on my computer - so I wiped the kindle clean and then put them all back on. Once it had refreshed it works as you expect.

I cannot recommend the customer service enough. They are very friendly and helpful and the turn around time is fantastic.

• Emmy I did the update as recommended and then sent all my books wirelessly. Previously once I'd read them I put them into the archive folder but I can't seem to do that anymore image

They are now all on my Home page which I don't like image

Agree re customer service absolutely spot on. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hmm... that's strange - it worked for me. Have you tried holding the switch for 15 seconds to refresh the kindle, does that do anything? Maybe try calling the customer service again? 
  • *potters off to try switch*