Newbie saying Hi

Hi there, i've just started running ( well started back in May ) so still relatively new to stuff

I did my first 5K as the Race for Life in 29mins  and then did my local village10K a few weeks ago in pouring rain ( but found it quite refreshing ) in 1hr 4mins

I'm doing the London 10K this sunday and i've als put in for the silverstone half marathon, going to put in for the bham half marathon in october and another 10k in lichfield in sept

I think i'm becoming addicted but i get such a buzz from doing it 

I'm still a novice, do i go with jelly beans or jelly babies, what are these gels that people talk about that are meant to taste yukky, do they taste that bad?

i feel i've got loads of questions so hope no one minds me asking 

I'm running on Sunday for the Down's syndrome association as my eldest daughter has Down's syndrome ( her name is Hannah, hence my user name ) She is my inspiration

Comments

• Hi, Hannahsmom!
    I'm a newbie too - joined the forums yesterday so still feeling my way around. Seems like a really supportive place, though.
    I started running in Feb and am now running 12.5k ish reasonably comfortably. It's great for the weight loss, confidence, and the overall feel good factor, so I know what you mean about the buzz! Sounds like you're making great progress. My next race is the Swansea 10k (sept) then I'm looking at a 10 miler in Feb and a half marathon in Mar. Lack of time to train hampers my running, but I generally manage 3 runs a week on average.
    I've tried both gels and the Lucozade jelly beans. Prefer the beans, but not really sure how much of a boost they gave me. The gel (again,Lucozade) wasn't great, but neither was it particularly foul... I'd give them both a go and find out what works best for you.
    Good luck for the run on Sunday; it's a great cause too.
    WS
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Hi Hannahsmom.  I'll hopefully see you at the bham and silverstone halves image  Like wordslinger says, you have to work out what's best for you.  Some people like gels, others like jelly babies or beans, try them out and find out what's right for you image

Good luck on Sunday image

• Welcome Hannahsmom.  I have just started out and doing the 5K R4L in Rugby at end of July image  do you live in Northants?   Maybe the Silverstone is something I could look at next year if I up my game by then

Good luck for Sunday image

• Booey, i've already entered the silverstone half marathon, you should enter it now before all the places go and it will give you something to aim for, i started off putting in for the londonmarathon ballot, even if i dont get in i'll try and get a charity place now

i did my last run this morning before the 10K on sunday and did 5miles in 52mins, so i was quite pleased with that, it was pouring with rain and i've decided that i'm better running in the rain, its more refreshing
  • Sorry just read again and you live in Silverstone.  I live in Long Buckby not far from you really.

I am going to enter the HM now, your right I will have a goal image lol........how many months do I have hehe

• no i dont live near silverstone lol, i put in for it before all the spaces went as i hear its a popular half marathon

i've entered the bham half marathon now woop woop

and i'm just packing now for London ready for this 10K which reading about, is probably going to be a shambles from start to finish by all accounts
  • Oh I see sorry I am confusing things.  Well I have entered also and been accepted so I have 8monthsimage

So how did it go y/day?

• well the first 5K was abit of a killer, lots of waiting around and by the time we started i was desperate for the loo again so at 5k i stopped for the loo ( queue being a mile long ) which took half an hour just in the queue

but managed to finish it in 1 hour 5mins so was pleased with that

i was abit annoyed at the end as they had run out of t.shirts, how on earth did that happen??? you pre ordered ur t.shirt!!!!

still there was plenty of water this year ( according to reports there was no water at all last year ) and i enjoyed the crowds cheering and the sight seeing along the way lol

my next 10K is lichfield then the bham half marathon eek!!!
  • oh yeah that is bad about the t-shirt. I would be really grumpy about that, 'cos i don't really care about medals, but t-shirts motivate me a lot! Hope the next race goes better hannahsmom.

Welcome everyone - i hear silverstone is great fun, but a bit too far for me. Hope all the training is going well

• Well i was very lucky in that when i was asking about where the t.shirts were, this woman gave me a small t.shirt and said thats all i've got left, and then this girl came up to me and said can i swap my medium t.shirt for your small as its too big, so i did get my t.shirt but only after walking around for ages trying to find someone that had one, it really was bad organisation

Mind you i'm the opposite I prefer the medals lol i hang them up, probably cos my kids get excited seeing the medals so that motivates me, they dont get so excited over a t.shirt haha

• Hey guys.

Both of you are doing awesome.
    I'm just coming back from an injury and am running quite slowly at the minute as my fitness has plummeted. Just going to sign up for birmingham half.
  • good idea - entering a race is definitely worth it to have something to aim for. Have you done many hms  Claire ?
  • I've done Great North Run but my level of fitness and lack of training meant i finished but not at all quickly. I'm aiming for a bit quicker this time image
  • failed in the ballot for gnr this year  ... friends got in, I didn't image

tbh i got faster everytime I raced for the my first 4 halves - just the experience of running seemed to speed me up, even tho' i dis the same minimal training in between races. Not sure how that works, but it did for me

• ooh cool glad someone else is joining up for the bham Half, i've already entered it, at this rate i might know everyone in the race lol,

My biggest problem i think tho is toilet, i was so dying to pee, i just had to wait for the toilet, but perhaps i should just do a paula radcliffe and get on with it
  • Hello all, really new to this forum thing but thought I would give it a go.

Bit about me, used to be 21 stone now 16 stone, stopped smoking 4 weeks ago and have entered my first race, the nottingham Half Marathon in September!

Extremely nervous about the challenge, have I bitten off more than I can chew?? Possible but my mate and I are training hard but sensible.

What would be a good time to aim for? And any advice would be really appreciated.