161 Million...

The single ticket holder to walk away with the Euromillions jackpot will soon be catapulted into 430th place in this year's Sunday Times Rich List, not far behind Dave and Vickie Beckham.

The prize would earn them an estimated £9,300 a day in interest alone.

What would you do with that much money? image

Comments

• Ring up my ex and announce the win VERY LOUDLYimage

Edited for "weird, didn't submit this, yet it posted"

Anyhoo, as I was going on to say.

Give a certain amount to family members, put some by for the offspring and look to give some away to worthy causes.  I'd start a foundation to invest it and then use it to help / support others as much as I could.

• pay off the mortgage.

And after that I'm completely stumped! Not to say I wouldn't mind being given the chance to try spending it...

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I'd share it with everyone else on the forum, of course...  image

I mean, if you're looking for ideas...

• I'd wander around with bundles of £10,000 to give to random strangers. However, they'd have to convince me that they're worthy of it.

I'd also ask fit birds to show me their nawks - one minute for £5,000. That'd be to prove a point.
  • Spend it!!!!!!!!!!!! image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Get naked and roll in it image
  • Immediate things popping in to my head:

Selection of houses, few slaves, get family/friends secure, buy a farm, fly to my best mate in US and hug her lots, buy her a house and speed up her epilepsy treatment, buy a tank and a field to play with it in (prob on the farm), build my own top gear test track, buy a pub, set up more free and unattached runs across the country (like parkrun but longer/varying distance)... get naked and swim in it! 

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    Get naked and roll in it image
    imageimageimage
  • Give 90% of it away and keep the rest for me and the clan.
  • buy a riding stables and start looking at my favourite charitiesimage.and buy Meldy a new carimage
  • buy west ham and close them down !
  • Even when I consider buying all sorts of things for myself, friends, family... including nice house, nice car, sort out parent's elder care, help friends who struggle etc... there still seems an awful lot left.  image

It's just an inconceivable sum of money.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't think I'd do anything very outrageous.

Buy a nice house, a less scruffy car, go on the holidays I've always fancied but that just seemed too expensive. 

I'd never go to Tesco again, though, and never get on a bus or a train again (maybe with the exception of the Orient Express!), and I'd never fly cattle class ever again.  Ever.

• I'd be straight on the phone to an Aston Martin dealer to book test drives.  And I'd probably lose myself for a few days.  I've a feeling I'd suddenly become very attractive and might find myself over whelmed with company.

Obviously make sure family and friends are well looked after.  I'd travel a lot and have a couple of houses in the UK and maybe one abroad.  I'd love to have a team to train me up to hit a few race targets.  Invest a lot of the money to try and make sure I never run out and also do lots for good causes.  Too larger an amount to not do some good with it.

• Buy a valley with a farm and good land and pay someoene else to run it for me while I potter at whatever I fancy - though I would do that degree I want to and probably play with that as well
  • goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

A savile row bespoke suit from here

A 1970 VW Beetle 1303s

May buy this place what a view 

Maybe this nice

• The usual stuff, give money to family, few top end cars, very large house with gym, sauna, steam room, games room, bowling alley, swimming pool, cinema room, holiday.  I would invest in property and property development, just to keep my mind occupied.

I would employ people to do pretty much everything for me, cook, clean, gardening etc

I would also pay off my close friend's mortgages and put some money in a trust fund for their children.

Then live off the interest.image

Bob Colclough 2 - Like your thinking mate!!

• Would be tempted to buy a new pair of running shoes and possibly a garmin

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The trouble with paying off your friends' mortgages and putting money in trust for their children is then they are beholden to you.

And where do you stop?  Who are close friends, and who don't quite make the grade? 

I don't think I would like to be in that position.  If my mate won all that money and offered to pay of my mortgage, I think I would say thanks, but no.

Take me on a nice holiday, buy me a modest car, but don't put money in trust for my kids (not that I have any, but if I did...)

• Pay off the mortgage, buy a massive plot of land to build an ecohouse on and set up a smallholding (paying some people to work on it).

Invest money in setting up some kind of educational facility/social enterprise based around learning or therapy for disadvantaged people (not sure who exactly I'd target at this stage!) through gardening, agriculture, conservation and the outdoors.

Once that was up and running I'd do a couple more university degrees (and if necessary the prerequisite A-levels, foundation courses or similar) in subjects I've always been interested in but never pursued like particle physics, astronomy, fine art or music.

Make sure all my family and friends were sorted.

Do lots and lots of travelling.

Buy a few choice items of clothing I won't normally consider looking at.

And only ever buy really good, ultra high quality, ethically sourced food.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I would buy Primark!.....and then have signs saying - 'No fatties or stinky folk'

• Wilkie wrote (see)

The trouble with paying off your friends' mortgages and putting money in trust for their children is then they are beholden to you.

Fair point, Wilkie.  TBH, my husband even feels uncomfortable when my parents offer to pay the bill when we go out for a meal with them.

I guess a lot of people don't really think how friends and family might react.

I think I would find it difficult, though, not to be at least tempted to help those people close to me who are finding it a struggle.

• Nick L wrote (see)

I would buy Primark!.....and then have signs saying - 'No fatties or stinky folk'

LOL!!
  • LP we're pretty much on a par with how we would spend stuff...

I have been thinking though that a lot of things I really like are not hugely expensive.  I often see very expensive things and think "I don't like it, it looks awful"...

For instance stupidly expensive penthouses etc... I don't like the style, could never feel at home there. 

Some really expensive fashion just makes me cringe in terms of design etc.

Places like Monaco and its people (I mean the celeb tax evaders, not the normal local population) are my idea of hell.

I guess it would be nice not to worry whether you can afford to see a hair dresser AND pay the road tax in one month...  image

I would love to have a farm house and space to keep horses, like Seren said.  I guess the money would buy plenty of surrounding land too.

I would love to travel, but I actually like to rough it and really experience a place in its natural state.  What is the point of travelling Vietnam and stay in a Hilton?

I do wonder if I'd struggle to spend it?  image

That's not to say I wouldn't like to try...

Interesting point about what people said about giving money changing dynamics of friendships etc.  image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'd buy a house with enough land that I would NEVER have to hear the neighbours, even if they held a rock concert.

I like peace and quiet image

• I agree that for me to be able to have land and woods etc that I could call my own would be the most amazing aspect of it. image
  • I'd buy a farm and employ my dad to manage it at a vast salary so he could just potter around and get the employees to do the hard work.  See, that would help the economy because I'd be creating jobs.

Then, I'd set up a horse and donkey (and probably dog) rescue centre and allow all my animals to live out their lives in peace, safety and comfort.  Naturally, I'd also give money to various human charities.

Then I'd help out all my family and friends in the way they wish to be helped.

Then I'd hire a jet and take all my girlie chums on a shopping trip to New York.

Then, I'd use some of my farm land to host a 3 day equestrian event, utilising my woodland, lake and open farm land.

Then.................the list goes on and on.  I'd have an exceptionally good time trying to spend it. image

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Get The Cure to come and play at a party at my new house image
  • I would not tell a soul that I won money, but all my friends (even distant ones) and family would wake up and find money in their bank account and wonder WTF?!? That way no one would owe me anything because I will say "Yeah I woke up with money to, how odd?" image

Then I'd buy a nice two or three bedroom flat with balcony or roof terrace over looking Kensington Gardens. Keep my job as I love it but use unpaid leave a lot to go work in refugee camps in Africa and Asia. I would run, travel, ride, dive and climb a lot to and eat nice food.

And I would donate mahoosive amounts to charity, several different ones.

Edited to say I would help West Ham and my Swedish team DIF to survive and prosper image

• I would build a hospital out of town, with free parking.