Thursday 14th July 2011

GobiGobi ✭✭✭
Naughty thread starting as I am awake due to getting in late from the track.

What: run AM
Weights AM
Gym bike lunchtime
Hills PM
Why: normal service
Last hard: last nights 800 reported in yesterdays thread
Last rest: 28th March

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning! Too busy replying about your race to start the thread.

What: 45-50 mins slooow I hope + some running whilst marshalling 2nd of club's summer 5ks
    Why: couldn't fit longer run in yesterday/hope my feet don't hurt again
    Last hard: watching a tense floodlit cricket game
    Last rest: Dec 09

Lyrics: no.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I saw that mate, thanks. You had some serious jets to be running a 2.00.xx
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭
    This is an early morning start!!

Well done Gobi!

Not long in from curry! Will consider the parkrun suggestions...none in west Wales where I spend the weekends so will see when we're at home for the weekend and do Cardiff or Newport.

What: rest day
    Why: Late night + meetings all day + travelling home mean a swap of Friday's rest day for today.

Sleep time now!
  • How busy are we this morning on here then...

Yesterdays lyrics: The Long and Winding Road' by The Beatles.

What:6.25M Fartlek and shattered.

Why: Need to get fit.

Paddy couldn't have done an extra 0.75M this morning. Well I could have, but only for a few £image

Have a good one.

Nice sunny dry one up here again. Great.

• Happy holidays Paddy.

Glad you're pleased with it Gobi. It sounds as though you're planning another?

What:              an hour on the bike or turbo
    Why:                peak flow increasing not sure whether to risk turbo interval session or just tick over
    Last hard:      accepting my limitations.
    Last rest:       9/11

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • StuTStuT ✭✭✭

Gobi,

You say you have more endurance than speed, would you consider going through in about 63-64 and use that endurance to 'hang on' during the last lap.
    My best 800m times came when I when I was in a good position time wise at the bell and was able to hang on, negative splits are very hard to do at that pace.  

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Stu - plan had been to run 63 - 64 and that is what I had trained for. Hence I am a little disappointed.

Kids bolted off and went through 200 in 31 I got boxed in on the bed coming out of 300 at 49 - 50. Got out on the straight hitting 400 in 66 - 67.

Felt VERY old.

What do you run Stu?
  • Paddy: Arse and feck and BOLLIX!

I thought I was having a rough time of things! I think you need an old priest and a young priest at the moment. May the power of christ compel you image

Still resting, feeling good at the moment. Got a letter coming for me today about my "issue", hope it's good news.

Will probably go for a training run this Saturday with my bergen on. Starting to plan how I will get to Catterick, and, more importantly, where to go on holiday afterwards!

Things may just be looking up. I still have things to sort out, but I'm hoping the decks will be clear by start of Sept.

• StuTStuT ✭✭✭

Gobi - At the moment I'm just doing 10K type training and road cycling training as my sharper days are behind me.
    I was a middle distance (800 / 1500) track runner in my younger years, (1:53 / 3:57), I had more speed than endurance, that's why my 1500 didn't quite compare to my 800m, I hated that 3rd lap.

• What: rest
    Why: my legs don't seem to like running each and every day
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: Tuesday
    Lyrics: No. For the third day running. Not good.

emzap - congrats on the new job offer and good luck getting the terms you want (I agree it's well worth asking). Mentioning curry though has made me hungry already and I now want curry for lunch! 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Stu - those are good times, funny I think most 1500 runners hate the 3rd lap. I coach 2 and they both complain about that 3rd lap. I hope to adjust my 1500 PB before the season is out as it seems a little soft.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice work Gobi, and thanks for the vote of confidence... just shows I can listen on the odd occasion....

Possibly head out for a track session later, need to check email from club to see what I should be doing....

Take care

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

emzap what good news!

well done gobi

alehouse, I will fly out after the event, the chance that I could  go before and Jodie doesnt have the baby till late and I have to fly home, etc etc Couldnt stand it!  Baby due 5/8 so I am flying 25/8, Cant wait!

what: run later

why: ankle still doing really good

last hard: tues

last easy: yesterday

have a godd day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

What: 66 minutes...9 mins run 1 min stretch so 60 mins running at a reasonable pace
    Why: time I did something longer
    Last hard: that was, in a number of ways...coping with foot discomfort, for one
    Last rest: 09

Gobi: was going to mention running a mile soon! Also, there is some research to suggest that the 7th 800 or 1500 of the season will be the best...6 more to go then! Like any other distance a lot of the 800 is down to learning how to race...like not getting boxed in!  I don't think me running 2:00:x was particularly fast...as 40 says many unremarkable teenagers can do that...you coach a few I guess! At school I was mainly a cross country runner in quite a good team (5 of us got on the county team for English Schools) but I was the slowest on the track...had to do 400 (and hurdles) mostly. The other 4 all broke 2 mins: I think I ran 2:00.xx nine times over the years and whatever way the race was run (even pace, going out in 56, going through in 88) could never break it. Anyway, good luck in the next six 800s!

Emzap: I think its your round! Well done!

Wabo: good plan! There would be nothing worse than getting there and then coming back having missed it all!

BSCD: had a look at the Catterick race...rather you than me!

Marshalling tonight, so hope to get a couple more miles in. Off to have another search for my orthotics!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL Alehouse I have run 3 x 800 since leaving school in 1986 so unlikely I will run another this year.
  • Quick look in. Nothing today. I would have done a bit this evening but arse says otherwise.

Ale - I've resorted to semi off the shelf ones. Up until recently i thought that my adjustment off them had been successful but now i'm not so sure.

I will get some sort of training done tomorrow - what i do not yet know.

Losing tghe pool is a big blow but i'll sort something cos i have to.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Thanks for the congratulations, I have the salary I want and the start date I want.  All I need know is my references to go through and to sign the contract and it's done image

What: 45 mins core this morning

3.3 mile fartlek with 30 sec fast, 90 min recovery, 60 sec fast, 60 sec recovery, 90 sec fast, 30 sec recovery then back down again.  Then jog home.  All done in 30 min 12 so speeding up too image  Legs felt like lead, but not bad for second session of the day!

Have a good evening all

• Great news emzap.

Paddy - what do you have access to that you can use? Might be worth thinking of this as a time to focus on some core work; flexibility; strength etc rather than on what you can't do? Chrissie ran a very good marathon off the back of about three weeks on the x-trainer according to her blog.

Not long now Wabo!

Sounds much more positive BSCDB - hope you got the news you wanted about your 'issue'.

Had a good ride this morning - sensible head decided that going out on the bike was better than staying in on the turbo, mind you gremlin head said that I was just being lazy and avoiding the work, I did try to increase the effort towards the end of the ride though and was reminded that the lungs aren't in full working order and have been rewarded by an annoying cough since. C'est la vie.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

emzap - great news

What - 7 x 800m down the canal path... a bit scrappy and between .50m and .52m.. (3:22, 3:24, 3:18, 3:20, 3:08, 3:09, 3:12)
    Why - Speed work... except was'nt that fast....
    Last hard - Tonight
    Last Rest - Last Tues a 9 day streak..... will be stopped tomorrow as have a rest day.

Got back tonight and found in my email box an invite to interview - I had forgotten about it as the date closed back in January...... no harm in going....

Take care

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Another good session RFJ:: what were recoveries? Those times are fine after the progressive run. And, indeed, there is no harm in going to the interview. When is it?

Couple of gentle miles whilst marshalling. Managed to see a physio about feet, but need a second (or third or fourth) opinion before I  comment! Know the people that I want to talk to...just not easy to get hold of them quickly!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Recoveries were aprox 200m about 70-75 secs on ave

Interview is next Fri in the afternoon in London... - but will be in Glasgow in the morning... finsh work  / training day there on Thursday pm, but company wont let me drive down on that night, so will just take an early start and go to bed early the night before..... - nothing to lose but all to gain as they say.

Take care

• RFJ - good work and good luck with the interview.

Gobi - nice 800m - good luck with the 1500m.

Wabo - exciting stuff!

alehouse - that's a long one from you - hope you get your feet sorted.

What: 3 miles with Mae - wet and miserable!

Good running everyone.