Options

Bristol to Reading

I'm planning to run from Bristol to Reading: Bristol-Bath bike path and then the Kennet & Avon. I wondered if any other forumites had done the route and had any advice about where to stay? I was figuring on places that are ok with walkers, on the basis that then they won't mind a sweaty runner arriving mid-afternoon demanding a shower and eats! I was thinking about allowing 3-4 days so that I don't have to do much more than a marathon a day, as it will be my first attempt at anything longer than a marathon and first attempt at anything where I have to carry my own kit with me!

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Coool!  What brought that on?  image

Sorry I'm a bit short of advice.  The only route I know between Reading and Bristol is the M4 but I think you'd get arrested trying to run along the hard shoulder.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Friend diagnosed with MND yesterday and I promised I run from my new home (Bristol) back to my old home (Reading) in aid of MND if necessary.  So not the happiest of reasons, but a promise is a promise.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Jools.  Good effort though - let me know when you've organised it and I'll happily sponsor you.  image
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks.  Now all I need is some suggestions for accommodation and to start doing long distance training again!
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    why not run it backwards and make it a real challenge?? you might raise more that way....and I'd sponsor you

just a daft thought really
  • Options

Hi Joolska, 

Just returned from a walking weekend along the Kennet & Avon canal - loved it. We stayed at Newbury - very scenic little town....not much in the way of B&B's there, but there is a brand new travelodge opened in May (london rd) which is a 2 min run/jog from the canal. Some sections of the canal path from Hungerford & then on to Thatcham were quite narrow & busy with cyclists, but it's probably one of the best towpaths I've walked along.

Stayed in Bath too & can also recommend waterside travelodge adjacent to the canal - they are basic, but hit the spot, & you can check in from 3pm. only downside is they dont provide showergel, etc, so that would be an extra thing to carry.

Good luck with the run & the preparations!

• Options

Hi Joolska, I`ve run along the Kennet & Avon toe path between Kintbury and Reading a few times and its really nice.... when are you thinking of doing this...??

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Fat Buddha: running backwards along a canal ... if I were better at swimming, I'd think about it for slightly longer, but I think the answer is no!

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    shame - it was only a daft idea to help drum up more funds.....image
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Joolska,

Mrs C and I can offer you a bed in Newbury if you'd like. I run along the canal regularly between Hungerford and Reading, not all in one go though!

Won't be offended if you decide not to shack with some random poster though!

Quite happy to sponsor you and run with you if you want some company for a while.

pm me.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah, that's very kind.  I am tenatively planning on 25-30 miles a day to make a long weekend of it, so Newbury may well be too close to Reading (about 15M IIRC).  From memory, probably means Devizes and Hungerford or some equally eclectic combo are my overnights!
  • Options

Hi Joolska,

We organised a relay race over the route three weeks ago but finished at Windsor, it took around 15 hours, I have the spreadsheet with the distances, stops etc if it would help I am happy to e-mail you a copy

Chris

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That would be great, Chris.  If you send me a message via the message member facility I will give you my email address.  Thank you!
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Joolska,

Just back from my hols. I play for Hungerford Rugby club and run with Hungerford Hares so can ask if anyone's willing to give you a bed in Hungerford if that suits.

It's only 8 miles down the road from where I live.

Let me know.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'll have a think - to be honest I'm happy to find hospitable B&Bs (looking like Bradford-on-Avon or Trowbridge and then Great Bedwyn or Hungerford) as (assuming I do the run just before Christmas) it's a very busy time of year to impinge on strangers.  Got myself a guide which has all the OS maps in it so the planning is coming together nicely - just need to pin down dates and accommodation and then start training!
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Chrissi, let me know where to sponsor you when the time comes.
  • Options
    Boing!

Just resurrecting the thread to say it's all systems go 2 weeks tomorrow: www.runninghomeforchristmas.wordpress.com (sorry, using chrome and can't do links).
  • Options

Joolska,

Well done, really good cause.  Let us know how you get on.

FH 

• Options

Look forward to reading an extra long race report! Good luck.

• Options
    I'll be blogging each day, assuming I have the energy!
  • Options
    Good luck. Personally I'd run away from Reading, but each to their own. image
  • Options

<drums fingers on table>

Well, come on then - how did it go?

• Options
    You had a few lines in this weeks Chronicle.
  • Options
    Fame at last! It went ok, although it was much harder (and consequently slower) than I expected; not helped by the fact that the conditions under foot were far from great. Day 1 ended up 30.5M, day 2 35M and day 3 was 29.5M so I ended up with 95M. Still, it is all done and over £5,000 raised for motor neurone disease, which is what really matters. Should be a follow-up piece in the Chronicle next week, too, and I think I'm supposed to be doing BBC Berkshire on Wednesday.